Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my chi to death but the one thing that really gets to me is how if me and my boyfriend are laying together he comes over and he will bite and scratch and do whatever it takes for us to seperate....does anyone have suggestions on how to discipline this...thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
You both need to assert your dominance. There are a lot of ways to do this but one really common method with puppies is to roll them over on their back and pin them gently until they stop squirming. Look into their eyes and talk to them.
Once they calm down you can let them up and praise them for being calm. You can also do things like putting the food down and taking it away several time. Always go through the door first. And many more

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hmmm maybe's he's just feeling insecure. Maybe he thinks your boyfriend is going to hurt you. My chihuahuas are definently jealous. They are like little kids. They don't like someone getting attention and them NOT getting attention. I humor them all. Everyone gets attention when they need it. That behavior amuses me more than anything but i'm curious as to what everyone else has to say about it! :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I think Tom is right. Chis are usually one-person dogs and will become jealous if someone else is around their "person". Additionally, your dog is male, so he may see you as his mate and your boyfriend is totally harshin' his gig.

Your boyfriend needs to show your pup that he's in charge, too. Have him feed your chi at dinner time. What he needs to do is make your dog sit a few feet away from his feeding area. Put the food down and if the dog gets up to eat, take it away. Continue having him sit and put the food down, then take it up until he gets the concept that he needs to remain sitting.

Once he sits and waits, let him eat. Each day, lengthen the time he has to sit and wait by a few seconds. Eventually, he'll just sit and wait out of habit.

You also might want to have your boyfriend try doing some training with him inside the house. Just have him spend time with your chi, teaching him to sit, lay down and other general commands so your chi learns he's in charge.

Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts