Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am not really a jewlery wearer- at ALL! I am allergic to anything cheap and I would always rather take a vacation than buy anything expensive. In fact we don't even have wedding rings- that is how not into jewlery I am. HOWEVER I have seen a ring that I just think hubbie would love, and wear. It comes in sterling, white gold and platinum. The platinum I know is harder and better and all that but I just am not going to spend the extra money on that. I am having a little bit of trouble trying to figure out why the gold would be better than the silver. He would not wear it at work- and it does not have any stones in it, so I am thinking I can just buy the silver one, right? I mean, gold is worth more, but this is a very geeky thing that is going to be custom engraved so it is not like we are going to sell it one day. Can someone tell me gold vs silver and why one is better? It is about twice the price for the white gold version, and I am happy to pay that if it is actually better, but why do it? Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
All of my good jewelry is white gold (except for a couple of items that are yellow) but I do have a silver bracelet from Jamaica that I never take off & lots of silver that we bought in Mexico. I rarely have to polish my bracelet, maybe once or twice a year. I wear 3 rings that are all white gold & once a year they need the rhodium plating redone because they start to yellow. Hope this helps with your decision.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wear 3 rings that are all white gold & once a year they need the rhodium plating redone because they start to yellow. Hope this helps with your decision.

It yellows? Off to google that now... I am just useless when it comes to these things.

I got my bf a tungsten ring before and it never tarnished <3 in fact I had to get him the ring twice since he lost the first one lmao :lol:
Tungsten?? I would- for many reasons be all over that! I am actually a HUGE advocate for tungesten lightbulbs use in theatre (might be in a few mailing lists and things with titles like "save tungesten"), but I didn't even know they used it for jewlery. Sadly this ring is only in gold, silver and platinum.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I got my bf a tungsten ring before and it never tarnished <3 in fact I had to get him the ring twice since he lost the first one lmao :lol:
I think my husband's wedding band is tungsten carbide too. :) He chose it because they're so tough so he can wear it to work. There's a myth that they're not good in accidents but they are actually the best because they're less likely to deform and crush your finger. So cool!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think my husband's wedding band is tungsten carbide too. :) He chose it because they're so tough so he can wear it to work. There's a myth that they're not good in accidents but they are actually the best because they're less likely to deform and crush your finger. So cool!
I am really excited about this! Maybe he needs a tungsten ring too!

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
yesssss! mine wears it ALL the time and its never gotten a dink on it! LOL :D

here we are eatin subways...see still has it on! HAHAHAHA

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL! im not a huge fan of gold. platinum would be the best bet when it comes to look and lasting

this might help you :D
Ira Weissman: The 5 C's of White Gold vs. Platinum
Well there have been some developments- LOL! This jewler also has a matching ring that I am in LOVE with (didn't see it before), and so I was like- well I better go for the white gold, so it will match mine, cause mine had stones in it and it seemed strange to have stones set in silver. But then I was reading that thing you posted pidge and it warns that people with a severe nickel allergy (and I have a true allergy, not just a sensitivity to nickel) can't wear white gold, because it is a nickle alloy (see why I don't even bother with jewlery???). But he does sell the ring I like in silver- but I am not really sure that I am too cool with getting stones set in a silver band. Am I just making that up?

I know for a fact that I can wear sterling- it is a silver/copper alloy (I can't wear silver plating, but this is really silver). Unfortunately while I may be able to squeeze the money out of the bank for the platinum- I know hubbie would never really enjoy it. He gets so nervous about expensive things and it would be more torture to buy it for him. So now I am torn between buying both rings in sterling silver, or just his in white gold.........

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only downfall of such a durable ring is that they're not sizable so if you do buy one, it might be best to have him try it on first.
This ring would not be sizable either to my understanding, because it's engraving goes all the way around. I am getting it from an ETSY store- and that would make me nervous, except that I have a friend that got a piece from him and was happy with it. Luckily even though I want to make this a surprise I have a perfect opening because a friend is engagement ring shopping and we are helping him, so we will be at a jewler anyway next week. Once we are there it will be easy to get him sized without looking suspicious. I have considered the sizing thing- and really that is another reason not to get the platinum, it is a cool silver or gold ring on a chain if it does not fit, but platinum would be a horribly, horribly expensive ring on a silver chain if it didn't fit!

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
LOL i have a huge sensitivity to jewlery as well hence why i wear my ring on my chain. my chain is real too and it was from the bf. the ring he got me is pewter and i alwayd got allergic bumps for it :lol: so im like u....hardly wear any jewelry! last time i wore a fake watch when i was younger and it indented my wrist into the circle...like u know when a dog wears a collar on and it embeds into their skin...just like that

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Not all white gold is mixed with nickel, sometimes they use other metals such as palladium. Also it is often rhodium plated so any nickel wouldn't be touching the skin.
I would happily have stones set in silver, I really like silver jewellery. Silver is associated with the moon, it is considered a feminine metal. Gold is masculine, linked to the sun.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not all white gold is mixed with nickel, sometimes they use other metals such as palladium. Also it is often rhodium plated so any nickel wouldn't be touching the skin.
I would happily have stones set in silver, I really like silver jewellery. Silver is associated with the moon, it is considered a feminine metal. Gold is masculine, linked to the sun.
According to the internet the rhodium plating is not sufficient if you have a true nickle allergy like I do. Most people are in fact not truly allergic, just sensitive to it, but if you google you will find that people with that allergy are warned that the rhodium won't do anything for you. They even warn about it in the article pidge linked, so i tend to believe it. I wouldnt risk it anyway, i get horrible welts and hives all over the limb that touches it, not pretty. I would hate to ware off the coating one day and have to cut the thing off! Also according to google the alloys that claim to be all palladium do mostly all have about 2 or 3% nickel. Maybe there is one out there that dosnt but I'm not really willing to risk it personally. I think I am going to go for the silver for both, I like silver and I think it will hold up just fine.

I have never heard about the silver being feminine, that's intiresting! This ring looks good in silver and my husband and me are not particularly gender conforming so I think we will go for silver, but traditionally are men's rings gold? I'm learning so much about jewlery tonight! Thank you ladies!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL i have a huge sensitivity to jewlery as well hence why i wear my ring on my chain. my chain is real too and it was from the bf. the ring he got me is pewter and i alwayd got allergic bumps for it :lol: so im like u....hardly wear any jewelry! last time i wore a fake watch when i was younger and it indented my wrist into the circle...like u know when a dog wears a collar on and it embeds into their skin...just like that
That sounds horrible! I had a similar reaction once when I was in high school at a sporting event I wore somebody's watch so that I had a timer and got horrible whelts around my whole wrist, but I got it off quick and it didn't get too bad.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts