Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I love gold because it looks rich. Never been a fan of silver, especially when it tarnishes. I know you probably want to surprise your hubbie, but I would ask him what he prefers then go from there. We got beautiful wedding rings 9 years ago and never wear them. It's not cause I don't want to; it's just hard working with them on. But I'm glad we have them cause they're like a keepsake that represent a special time in our lives.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
I am sensitive to fake jewelry too. My engagement ring is white gold and I have no issues, but them I have a diamond right hand ring from Macys and I get a rash when I wear it (wonder if the gold has worm off??). Silver usually doesn't bother me except for silver from Tiffany's. I can wear their necklaces but their earrings itch my ears and rings turn my fingers green!! Terrible.

Also, i may be wrong but I think platinum is softer than gold and loses its shape easier.

I agree w the tungsten being the in thing right now, I think Bryan is going to get a tungsten wedding band.

I would personally go with the gold, it will make a bigger statement and last longer without tarnishing. Good luck!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
There is also a sterling silver called argentium which tarnishes much less than traditional sterling but it is a much whiter silver, which you may of may not like the look of. If he wears if every day, you probably won't have to worry about polishing it. It is good for it to be worn all the time.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would ask him what he prefers then go from there.[/QUOTE]

LOL! That would be like asking Kerri if she wanted a beige crate or an off white crate! He has not a single piece of jewlery, and he literally does not care what he or anyone else around him looks like so this one is certainly all me. I have decided, after talking to my mom, to go for the sterling. Once I get them ordered I will post a picture, they are really cool, very geeky but in a real sophisticated geek way. Also both are pretty gender neutral, they just fit us so perfectly, I can't wait to get them!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
There is also a sterling silver called argentium which tarnishes much less than traditional sterling but it is a much whiter silver, which you may of may not like the look of. If he wears if every day, you probably won't have to worry about polishing it. It is good for it to be worn all the time.

I googled that, intiresting! Looks like it is harder to work for the jewler, but barely ever tarnishes. I am stuck with what this jewler offers, mostly cause I wasn't even looking for rings, I just stumbled on these amazing ones.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am sensitive to fake jewelry too. My engagement ring is white gold and I have no issues, but them I have a diamond right hand ring from Macys and I get a rash when I wear it (wonder if the gold has worm off??). Silver usually doesn't bother me except for silver from Tiffany's. I can wear their necklaces but their earrings itch my ears and rings turn my fingers green!! Terrible.

Also, i may be wrong but I think platinum is softer than gold and loses its shape easier.

I agree w the tungsten being the in thing right now, I think Bryan is going to get a tungsten wedding band.

I would personally go with the gold, it will make a bigger statement and last longer without tarnishing. Good luck!!

I had thought platinum was really strong, but you are right. According to my mom and google it is softer than silver or gold. I considered going for the gold, but this ring would look horrible if it yellowed, it really has to be in all silver- once I am not on my phone app I will post a link! Also the risk of the white gold reacting to me is really high, so I decided to go for the silver. I e mailed the jewler about a few things and I'm going to order them as soon as I hear back.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
I can wear gold or silver except for ears they must be gold.

Silver is strong but I hate to polish anything, gold holds value, platinum is the strongest.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I continue to learn more! While platinum is harder than silver, and seems to be more resistant to crushing and denting, it seems that it is easier to scratch. Who knew there was this much to know about jewlery.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Huly, I am now so confused about hardness vs brittleness and am having flashbacks to a materials class I took in college, but it soes seem like platinum is generally more durable. Jewlery is even more confusing than dogs! I'm just buying them and am going to try not to think about it too much.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
This ring would not be sizable either to my understanding, because it's engraving goes all the way around. I am getting it from an ETSY store- and that would make me nervous, except that I have a friend that got a piece from him and was happy with it. Luckily even though I want to make this a surprise I have a perfect opening because a friend is engagement ring shopping and we are helping him, so we will be at a jewler anyway next week. Once we are there it will be easy to get him sized without looking suspicious. I have considered the sizing thing- and really that is another reason not to get the platinum, it is a cool silver or gold ring on a chain if it does not fit, but platinum would be a horribly, horribly expensive ring on a silver chain if it didn't fit!
My engagement ring and wedding band are from an etsy store! When we got married, I sent my engagement ring back and she made me a wedding band to fit with it perfectly. It wasn't inexpensive, but I love that it's custom! Post pics when you finally get the ring(s) you choose. :)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thank you ladies for all the help! Hubbie's ring size proved very easy to get, he didn't suspect a thing. I am happy to report that we are nearly the same ring size too (off by 1/2), I got big hands and he has small ones so we will be able to wear each others rings if we ever want to. He'll like that too cause he hates gender conformity.

Here are the links of the rings we got. Mine- https://www.etsy.com/listing/169883484/droid-leg-band?ref=shop_home_active_2 His- https://www.etsy.com/listing/164282281/gents-custom-aurebesh-bands?ref=shop_home_active_1

I'm so excited, I just can't wait for them to get here. I'll be honest, I love them so much I almost got the platinum ones, but I really don't need to be paying off rings for the next 6 months, so I held back. :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts