Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ugh i just need to vent, i am so annoyed by people judging me for putting clothes on my chihuahuas. whenever my mom posts pictures of the dogs on her site there is always someone who posts "omg poor dogs, i cant beleave you put sweaters on them"
its so annoying and stupid. now kali and sophies breeder keeps leaving snarly little comments on the pictures that i post of them like "poor dogs, wearing sweaters and having to walk on leashes'
i live in nyc it gets pretty cold here, doggies need coats and sweaters.
i lol'd at the leash thing though, becauses its the law that they need to be on leashes, but the other stuff pissed me off.
do any of you ever get judged for dressing your pets up?
i dont care what people think, i will always dress mine up!! :D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I would remind those people that they are tiny frail dogs that can easily suffer hypothermia. Sometimes people think it's just about fashion and they need a reminder that it isn't always the case; do WE only go around wearing clothes in winter "because it's cute and stylish?!" Heck no; we'd never go outside in the winter naked so why should they?!

Ok well at least they won't get charged with indecent exposure. =P But still. there's a huuuge difference between putting clothes on a dog that make it uncomfortable and are just for the look; and wearing clothes to keep them warm. One's an option.. the other is a necessity!!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I've had people talk about my halloween costumes - mostly non-dog people.
But this year one of the dog-sites on facebook asked for people to send in their dogs in costume, and you wouldn't believe the number of people saying that kind of stuff !

One person said 'they look so miserable'. I couldn't help but think they were just seeing their own misery, because for the life of me none of the dogs looked anything but normal to me.

The leash thing is beyond ridiculous. If people were commenting like that on my photos, I'd simply delete them. If they ask why, tell them 'life's too short for your BS'

·
Registered
354 Posts
At the end of the day, you know your dog better than anyone. You'll know what annoys them or what they need.

I don't get judged for putting sweaters on Teddy but I've had a few people give me the "poor dog" comment when they hear about or see me putting Teddy in a purse-style carrier. What makes me laugh is that I just have to set the bag down and Teddy happily jumps in and lays down. He LOVES the bag! I wouldn't make him go in it if he didn't like it. Those people just don't understand my dog like I do, so I ignore them.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Oh darn, I hate when that happens, I just wrote you this huge reply and it got erased!!! urgh!
Basically just saying to not mind these people. I have no problem protecting my Chi's little heart from harsh weather.
And my Basenjis also definitely need protection since they are an African breed, not made to endure Canadian winters.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have gotten told "let you dog be a dog" I don't care what people think, audrey is bald from her chin all the way day and would freeze without clothes. She needs sweaters/coats and not just to look cute. The cute factor is the added bonus ;) and yes she does wear little summer dresses but you know what, she's my dog so there! Ha

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I don't put my dogs in any clothes besides sweaters or coats that keep them warm. I do have a dress for Penny, but I pretty much only put it on her for a photo or something. They get cold, I see no reason why I can't put a coat on them.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I too have been judged for putting clothes on Daisy. I think, until you have one, you don't really realise how easily they do get cold, and how vulnerable they are to it.
I don't dress her up for the sake of it, she isn't overly keen on clothes. But sometimes she doesn't take them off, and I think that's because she realises they are warmer than having nothing on.
Most of her outfits, I've just put on for photos then she doesn't really wear them often. There's just 2 hoodies that she wears often.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
People are always going to have an opinion about something none of my 4 chis can stand goin outside in this Canadian weather even with clothes on the only one who hates clothes is ninja and I think it's bc hes bald so it feels weird on his skin I don't make him wear any clothing except if there's snow on the ground then jacket goes on at the door and off when he comes back in otherwise u can guarantee he's gonna run back in and crap in the house I also put socks on his paws in the snow he screams so loud and lifts his paws it's too cold for the guy :( socks make a huge difference. I may put the odd costume on him for a photo he's a big poser :p

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My crew went naked all summer!

But it's cool now, and their sweaters and hoodies are on. The little things burrow under blankets inside my warm house...Why in the world wouldn't they appreciate some extra protection when I take them outside? And, yes, I leave their sweaters and hoodies on all the time in the cooler weather. Thank goodness Diesel has finally decided he will wear his rather than take it off and poop on it every time I crate him!:D

I try to find cute but comfortable clothes for them - but they aren't for anyone else, and they aren't for 'dress up'. If Gracie could talk (and she does try) she'd tell you they are necessity!

And, Sherri, I wish Pedro would let me put socks or something on his little feet. It doesn't snow much here, but when it does, he cannot tolerate it at all. It hurts the little pads of his feet so much that he will just collapse on the ground to get his feet out of the snow. We have to clear out a spot for them.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I get that all the time and it is rather annoying
But the thing that people dont understand is that my babies aren't dressed all day every day.
The only times they have clothes on at home is for photos or on a special occasion (e.g halloween, xmas, etc..) and they only wear coats outside when it is raining heavily or when it snows.
90% of the time they are naked LOL or just have their wee harnesses on
The other thing I tend to get judged and get comments on is having Prada in a bag.
No one will believe me until they actually see this in person, but Prada LOVES to go in a bag and resents walking for more than 15 min. Even at home, if there is a bag on the floor, she will go inside.
When we are out for walkies, if I put my bag down for 1 second she jumps in and wont come back out again LOL.
This is why the majority of the time when we go out with the dogs, Prada eventually ends up getting carried by me in a bag and Gucci and Chanel are the only ones walking

To be honest, I dont think you should really care about what others think.
I respect their opinions, but I don't care because I know that I would be the last person to hurt my babies.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'd tell them they could shove it. I would dress Bijoux up in more outfits if i didn't hink it was a shame to cover her merle. That being said when people see her in a dress and comment I just look and say "well thank god she's my dog not your's because she LOVES wearing clothes, Guess you can't tell because your not her owner" ---I have 0 tolerance for that bs I would defriend that person and tell them to shove off.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I tell people I dress up my dogs because I'm too old to play with Barbies anymore! :DSeriously, some people aren' t happy unless they are bringing someone else down. I like to dress my dogs and I make no apologies for it. The dogs don't mind and when it's cool I think it makes them more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Some people are just judgemental idiots!! None of my 3 mind wearing clothes and happily put up with being dressed up!:D
But despite only dressing 1 of them in sweaters and coats and only when she starts shivering I still get the 'they're dogs, they have a coat already!' comments. Last winter even with 3 layers on Heidi could only manage about 20 minutes before she just seized up (although the other 2 will happily roll around naked in the snow!!LOL).

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have had people judge me for dressing up Calista! But seriously, she gets cold!!

I have hear people say, oh that is disgusting, or similar. I just don't really care what people think though :D I know my baby is happy, warm and cute! :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well as I sat here reading this post, a greyhound went by my window wearing a coat. I bet no one takes the p out of his owner!!! I think the trouble is everyone has seen people like Paris Hilton & assume that all chi's r like hers & all owners r like her. It's as bad a prejudgement as poor staffies & pitbulls. Poppy always wears coats in winter on our walks & my day care lady even asked me this week if we have a coat for her as the weather us so bad!! I hadn't given one to her yet as I was worried about her thinking the exact thing u r worried about. But sometimes it's just practical..... And sometimes it's just fun!! As long as poppy is happy wearing clothes I don't think it's cruel. U know ur baby so done even worry what they think :)
I think poppy looks pretty happy even tho she is the only dog dropped off at day care with an accessory bag

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Aw hon I know some people are just not understanding of stuff that we are. This is totally different....but I have friend who has 5 kids and she's having # 6 and people are freaking out, I don't get it!! It's what her and her husband wants, I say congrats to them! I love big families! lol So I don't get why people judge with that type of stuff. =(

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I agree with what others said, as long as they are not uncomfortable, there is nothing wrong with it. I do think you can go too far with the clothes thing.. For example, I have seen doggy "outfits" that have a dress, hat, underwear, shoes etc.. That seems uncomfortable for the dog. I have seen doggy pants as well, and I could never make my dogs wear those.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Some people are so ridiculous. There are surely bigger things to be concerned about, like actual animal abuse, for one. I would completely ignore and delete anyone that said anything to me on a web site. I don't have time for people like that.

That said, I myself have never been judged on putting clothes on my dogs. In my neighborhood chi's are very popular and most everyone here puts sweaters on them for their walks when it gets cold out.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Usually people that judge you have nothing better to do with their time. If they spent half as much time "working" on themselves, instead of worrying about someone dressing their dog, the World would be a nicer, much better place to be. Ignore the "ignorant." I’m sure they do things far worse than dressing a dog. With that said, mine only wear clothes for pics. They hate them, so I choose not to make them wear them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts