Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let's do it!!!!!!!!!!!! :D i have been on a kick with juicing and smoothies :] so far so good. i do eat solids too but not as much as i did before! portion portion portion! i do not deprive myself with good food but i don't over indulge anymore...which i have to admit i do miss....A LOT... but having this option of eatin and not doing those crazy diets makes me happy. my bf is also doing this together but his is more extreme

ok enough talk. here's some pics if guys are interested in doing this as well :] the warmer weather is here and it's the perfect time to enjoy these goodies plus sweat off those lbs by working out

as disgusting and green as this looks it tastes close to sprite! lol. the health benefits of this is amazing. here's the recipe. i have to say though if this is ur first time juicing up greens ur body will be wonderin wtheck you put in ur body but it calms down a bit...try to keep it in! the more days u go through juicing up vegies like this ur body will thank you. not to mention ur face/hair will become more smooth and flawless!
Mean Green Juice Recipe by Joe Cross | Reboot With Joe

u can also make fruit smoothies like this. i just put in whatever amount of fruits and a scoop of protein powder in here
[Strawberry pineapple blueberry banana coconut water chocolate protein powder smoothie]

ahm yum yum this is the best i've had and it doesn't have those junk ingredients

this mix was really good! blood oranges are so yummy in smoothies if you can find them in season

yummm! strawberries <3

how pretty it comes out hehe

this granola is AMAZING! gluten free, vegetarian friendly...the taste is GREAT in salads or yogurt

ok back to the greens. here's what i made last night

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
in you guys go!

mmmm!!!

it would've tasted better with pineapple but all i were mangos so it wasn't too bad...it was good enough :p
A Smoothie to Help You Kick the Candy to the Curb | Reboot With Joe

pros: i am feeling better about myself and my bowels are saying so as well :] face has been gettin skinnier and more healthy. my weight hasn't changed yet since i haven't gone hardcore into working out like last time. cutting out a lot of processed food and sodas has been hard since i LOVE food but i'm trying my best...since it'll be better for me in the longrun. i don't feel as sluggish anymore in the mornings. i mean im up this early right now...usually i would be dead sleeping. although i do enjoy my naps :] walking isn't as tiring as it used to be. p.s: you can still have atleast 1 o 2 cheat days in a week but have to make up for it in some type of cardio to burn those calories off hehe!

con: of course the taste isn't the same as pizza, doughnuts, burgers, bbq ribs LOL. it's a small price to pay for a long life to live happily. there's still a lot of great tasting food that is healthy :]

i got this fun toy to play with when i have time :]

can you tell i'm more energetic now? haha!.... ok off to nap with Dex. he had his meal not too long ago and enjoys his food comas

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I've always wanted to try juicing, but I'm too scared! Lol. I eat hardly any fruit or veg which I know is terrible, but I don't really like it. I thought maybe smoothies or juicing might taste different. I love the pic with Dexter looking at the fruit :). So jealous of the treadmill, wish I had the space for one. Good luck :p

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I've been making smoothies like crazy! And I've noticed such a difference in my skin, hair nails etc. I'm totally up for more tips, recipes etc. here's a couple that I've made recently

I use almond milk, 1/2 cup ice, plain lowfat yogurt, mango, sweet potato, and peanut butter. It was yummy and so healthy ImageUploadedByPG Free1401391646.755007.jpg

Mixed berries smoothie made with fresh and frozen fruit ImageUploadedByPG Free1401391715.194154.jpg

My arms are more toned and I've lost my 5 lbs of winter weight 😊 ImageUploadedByPG Free1401391786.525631.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've just started whole food juicing. I'm starting out with just breakfast but will be using it to replace other meals soon. I'm trying to ease into a diet and exercise program without having my body go into shock. Lol I'm not a fruit and veggie person, so this is great!

I'm used to the green color now. I add a teaspoon of Spirulina to each juice mix and that stuff turns everything really, really green!

Dex looks so cute! Cairo always stalks me when I make juice! Just dying for something to drop! Lol

Looking good Meoshia!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Thanks Gina! I like making the smoothies for breakfast, but about an hr later I'm starved! Lol. So I'm thinking I may eat a couple boiled eggs along with my smoothie. I think it's a lot of fun experimenting with different things. I bought a bag of spinach/kale mix that I want to try and add to a smoothie. Gotta admit the green smoothies look intimidating. But really..,are they as satisfying as the fruit version? And can you add spinach or kale to a fruit smoothie without it interfering with the flavor of the fruit?

·
Registered
387 Posts
With the whole food juicing, you get more fiber than just regular juicing. So I'm guessing it is more filling. I mix whole fruits and veggies together and the juice tastes mostly fruity. You do need a pretty good blender that can liquefy things. I've heard it's hard to get leafy veggies like spinach and kale to liquefy well, so I use the powdered Spirulina. It smells awful in the bottle (sort of fishy) but it doesn't smell once mixed and I can't taste it. lol

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Hubby & I started juicing last summer but life and time got in the way and we stopped, but we loved the way it made us feel. This thread really is getting me excited about starting up again. I'm waiting for my garden to come in so I can use completely organic veggies. I'll probably have to buy the fruit as my trees and bushes are young. I have to tell you that I thoroughly love my Ninja! I does everything. Thanks for sharing. Love to see the pics and I'm envious of your new toy. Wish I had the space for one of those!! Lol

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I've never heard of Spirulina. I'll have to look it up online. I'm totally up for trying new things, and I'm really having fun experimenting. I just turned 31 this yr, I've been petite my whole life. But now that I'm getting older I've noticed that I can pick up 5 lbs in a snap! Lol. And now I see what people mean when they say his hard it is to lose weight. So basically what I'm trying to do now is be more conscious and maintain the weight that I am right now. Plus I feel better 😊

·
Registered
387 Posts
A lot of articles popping up online about it. Here's one from eHow:

Benefits of Spirulina

Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae available in dietary supplement form. Claims for spirulina benefits include the treatment of various health conditions, as well as the promotion of weight loss. However, few human studies have actually explored spirulina's health benefits, and there is insufficient evidence to show that it helps with weight loss.

Spirulina contains a number of nutrients, including B-complex vitamins, beta-carotene, and vitamin E. Spirulina is high in protein and also contains antioxidants, minerals, and chlorophyll.

Health Benefits of Spirulina

To date, few human studies have explored spirulina's health benefits. However, test-tube studies and animal-based research suggest that spirulina may help with the following conditions:

1) Allergies

Spirulina holds some promise in the treatment of allergic rhinitis (nasal allergies), according to a research review published in 2009. Indeed, a previously published study of patients with allergic rhinitis found several benefits for spirulina consumption (including improvement in symptoms like nasal discharge, sneezing, congestion, and itching).

Find out about other Natural Remedies For Allergies.

2) Diabetes

In a 2008 study involving 37 people with type 2 diabetes, researchers found that those assigned to 12 weeks of spirulina supplementation experienced a significant reduction in blood-fat levels. Spirulina benefits also included a decrease in inflammation and, for some patients, a decrease in blood pressure and cholesterol.

See Natural Treatments For Diabetes.

3) Oral Cancer

Spirulina may offer some protection against oral cancer, according to one small study of tobacco chewers with precancerous oral lesions. For 12 months, study members took either a daily dose of spirulina or a placebo. By the study's end, the lesions cleared up in 20 of the 44 participants who'd consumed spirulina (compared to three of the 43 participants who'd been assigned to the placebo group).

4) Weight Loss

Despite widespread marketing claims that spirulina can suppress appetite, there is insufficient evidence to show that spirulina can boost weight loss.

See Natural Remedies For Weight Loss for other ways to lose weight.

Common Uses for Spirulina

Spirulina proponents claim that the benefits of spirulina include treatment and/or prevention of the following health problems:

attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
cancer
fatigue
high cholesterol
viral infections
Purported spirulina benefits also include weight loss and stimulation of the immune system.

Side Effects

Although few adverse effects are associated with use of spirulina, consuming spirulina may cause headache, muscle pain, sweating, and insomnia in some cases.

Safety

As with all supplements, it's also important to consult your health-care provider before using spirulina in combination with other medications and/or supplements.

Learn more about supplement safety.

Forms of Spirulina

Spirulina is often sold in powder form, but it's also available in capsules, tablets, and other natural products (including juices).

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I've always wanted to try juicing, but I'm too scared! Lol. I eat hardly any fruit or veg which I know is terrible, but I don't really like it. I thought maybe smoothies or juicing might taste different. I love the pic with Dexter looking at the fruit :). So jealous of the treadmill, wish I had the space for one. Good luck :p
You should try it. If you don't like fruits and veg that much, it could be a good way to eat a lot of them in one go by just downing a glass. :D You can add other things to them to hide the taste too like peanut butter, greek yoghurt, etc.

I can't personally have just juices or smoothies all day like some do though, I just end up starving way too much. I need solid food along with them. lol

Thanks Gina! I like making the smoothies for breakfast, but about an hr later I'm starved! Lol. So I'm thinking I may eat a couple boiled eggs along with my smoothie. I think it's a lot of fun experimenting with different things. I bought a bag of spinach/kale mix that I want to try and add to a smoothie. Gotta admit the green smoothies look intimidating. But really..,are they as satisfying as the fruit version? And can you add spinach or kale to a fruit smoothie without it interfering with the flavor of the fruit?
Green smoothies are amazing and so good for skin and hair, you should definitely try them. Kale has a stronger flavour than spinach in my opinion so I would probably recommend starting with spinach or lettuce if you're afraid of the taste, but tbh despite the scary green colour, the flavour ends up mostly tasting of whatever fruit you put in there. I found that spinach liquifies very well so no weird texture either (but maybe I'm just used to it hehe). My bf hates spinach and yet he really loves my green smoothies (I tell him that I put just a little, but it's a lie... I secretly put LOADS LOL). I always put 1 banana in them + another sweet fruit like pineapple, mango, peaches or berries to hide the taste. Oh and I always blend the green leafy veg alone first until they are completely liquid before adding the other ingredients.

Btw you look amazing!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Looks good ladies! But I'm into quick and super easy! I drink Amazing Greens Raw Reserve - I really like it! It does take a bit getting used to, but it's mostly psychological! The first drink, is okay, but when you see and feel the results - it's not so bad!!:)

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
You should try it. If you don't like fruits and veg that much, it could be a good way to eat a lot of them in one go by just downing a glass. :D You can add other things to them to hide the taste too like peanut butter, greek yoghurt, etc.

I can't personally have just juices or smoothies all day like some do though, I just end up starving way too much. I need solid food along with them. lol

Green smoothies are amazing and so good for skin and hair, you should definitely try them. Kale has a stronger flavour than spinach in my opinion so I would probably recommend starting with spinach or lettuce if you're afraid of the taste, but tbh despite the scary green colour, the flavour ends up mostly tasting of whatever fruit you put in there. I found that spinach liquifies very well so no weird texture either (but maybe I'm just used to it hehe). My bf hates spinach and yet he really loves my green smoothies (I tell him that I put just a little, but it's a lie... I secretly put LOADS LOL). I always put 1 banana in them + another sweet fruit like pineapple, mango, peaches or berries to hide the taste. Oh and I always blend the green leafy veg alone first until they are completely liquid before adding the other ingredients.

Btw you look amazing!

Thanks Camille, those are awesome tips! I will Definately take all of your advice. I love green veggies lol, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, romaine lettuce, all of it tastes delicious to me as well as most fruit. And thanks a lot, I definately feel like my skin glows and eyes look brighter, nails are stronger, I've always been pretty thin, but I have my moms thighs and butt lol, those are genetics I inherited that I will have to deal with no matter how hard I work to change them. I don't think it'll be a problem, because even at 31 people don't put me past 19 or 20, yet and still I just wanna age as graceful as possible. Which is why I've started making these healthy drinks, plus I must admit that it's fun and it's really tasty. And as you said, even for those who don't like fruit, this is a great way to get all of your nutritional value while doing wonders for your overall health. The only other thing I wanna try is using the coconut water, I usually use almond milk and yogurt. But I bought a watermelon the other day, and it doesn't seem like dairy would mix well with watermelon.

·
Registered
931 Posts
First of all:

Me and my hubby just started getting into this! Pidge, we were looking up Joe's stuff, too. We've been watching a lot of educational food programs lately, and we're getting super excited. When we told one of our friends about it, he was like "Well, do you want a juicer?"

BAM. Apparently an old roommate moved out and left one! So I just got around to cleaning it yesterday, so we're hoping to start this weekend!

There's Ponyo makin' her face again.

Also, we just got our free lifetime membership to the YMCA (my husband's company redesigned and built their Olympic size pool) so we are set and ready to go for a healthy summer!

I've been loving the tips and recipes so far!!! Keep 'em comin'! Ponyo and I are sending out positive juice & smoothie vibes to us all!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Oh I'm a "green" smoothie fiend! Hahaha! It's my first breakfast every morning. Though, they usually come out more of a nasty brown color.

I'm actually working on a recipe book for my clients right now!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts