Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chico will be 4 months old on Oct 24th. I'm curious as to what age they start to jump up on chairs and sofas. He scratches at our legs when he wants to come up on our lap and I think he is trying to jump up. Is it safe for their little thin legs to jump up, or should I get dog stairs for him? I need your expert advice.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I'd discourage jumping as much as you can (which I know is difficult) as their legs could get damaged so easily. Also the constant jumping can put strain on the joints and not forgetting ifhtey slip they could hurt themselves.

If your happy for Chico to be up with you I'd pick him up. With Jake I taught him to run up my legs as though they were a ramp.

Red would stand up against me or the sofa and I'd support him and lift him up. Now the two jump up but my sofa isn't very high.

Deme x

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh gosh jumping is a hard one!! They can break their legs jumping daisy jumps onto the sofa and has started jumping off and she has a ba knee is I'm having stairs made

Tbh it's your prerogative my other pup is a few weeks older than yours she bounces o try as get up but isn't allowed she's too small and delicate I like picking her up shell use the stairs whenthwy are made

·
Registered
280 Posts
My Cici is 7 month and she still can't jump up, I just pick her up as soon as she starts jumping as I know it's bad, I am meaning to get stairs also to prevent all the jumping! I'd say that's the best thing to do

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I forgot to mention something and I dunno if it's a Chi thing but both mine did it and still do, well Jake not so much since he's got older.

Once on the sofa when they get excited and want down, they jump....... but they don't jump down towards the floor.. nnooooooooooooo they both jump high in the air as though they are jumpoing over something higher than the sofa, my heart is in my mouth...they do it so quickly I am always too late to stop them.

"Gulp"

Deme x

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I have an old recliner sofa my mom left when she moved, I have both recliners open so my little ones can get up and down safely. Even Tico, blind as he is, now can get on and off the sofa. All of them except Tico and Pepper jump off the sofa, however not all the time, only if they are playing. Luckily Twiggy doesn't try to get on it at all.

·
Registered
489 Posts
bonnie is always jumping up and down on the sofa and everthing i got stairs for her and she just wont use them....she even climed up and jumped out of her play pen...i do be sooo worried about her but notthing will stop her from jumping.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info about their legs. I guess I'll just pick him up when he wants up. Sometimes I forget he's on the couch, and go and do something. When I come back to see where he is, he's waiting on the couch for me to sit.Eventually I'll get the stairs for him. He's funny. We have lots of laughs with him. I made him a snuggle bag for our trip to NY this past two weeks. He spent the entire trip on my lap in the bag. That was the best thing ever. Now it's on the couch at the end. He loves to crawl inside and sleep.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey is almost 5 and still can't jump on the couch so I have 'makeshift' stairs for her using pillows.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I use the puppy stairs for mine. Neither of mine can jump up on the sofa or bed in our home anyways but jumping down is not a problem for Yoshi so I keep stairs for him as he will usually choose them. Chibi will not jump down so I dont have to worry about him.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Draco could jump up on the couch when he was small but now a minor luxating patella keeps him from jumping up from standing still. We lift him up, he jumps down. For our bed he has a platform that is low enough to hop on and then get on the bed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Peebo is a sofa jumper we have 2 and he jumps up on both of them and off too! I dont think there is too much I can do just short of banning him from the living room.
Is this a major concern? should I be worried about this? he jumps pretty high he can jump all the way to the back of one of our couches but he hasnt jumped off he jumps on and off maybe 20 times a night while we are watching TV but our couches are low about 1.5 feet I guess.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Over time this can ruin his knees.
Can you build little carpeted stairs at the end of the couch??
Lots cheaper then surgery!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Over time this can ruin his knees.
Can you build little carpeted stairs at the end of the couch??
Lots cheaper then surgery!!
Ok he jumps really high over a foot straight up I was thinking of trying to find a Chi basketball team for him!

I am sure I can build him some stairs I am not sure if he will use them or not but that souldnt be a problem I have some old shelves on the garage I can cut up.
I saw a set at a pet store (had like 3 steps) for like $150.00!:cussing: whats up with that? they really try and stick it to pet owners.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Rocky could jump on the bed when he was about a year old. I really liked that he was unable to do so any earlier, since it is not good for Chis to jump in young ages, and can also increase the risk of getting PL in later years.

We made Rocky stairs for the sofa and bed, so that he does not have to jump up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts