Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, hoping someone has some ideas.
My chi puppy Honey has started with some bad behaviour! She has taken to jumping up and biting me and my fiance, on the arms, chest or face, and i mean really biting - no little nips! She also snarls and growls when shes doing it, like she really wants to hurt us! I dont feel like we do anything to encourage this - no rough playing etc.she will not react when i say or shout no or stop, yelp, scream, spray water or clap my hands. We have tried saying off and physically moving her off, she just comes running back even madder than she was! Any ideas?? Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow! Have you ruled out a physical or neurological issue?? Maybe you need to take a trip to the vet.
If a physical or neurological issue is ruled out, this behavior is NOT acceptable!! I believe in Cesar Millan's methods *don't get mad! Lol* I would definitely remove any rewards unless she stops this biting. Also don't let her on your lap until she is completely calm and relaxed. I would look for a good dog behaviorist!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Not sure but I would immediately set her on the floor and with a very firm/stern voice say " no". I would then ignore her for a bit. If she does it again just keep repeating this. She is very young and will probably catch on to what you want.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
If she's only 2 months old, she's playing with you. lol Give her some toys, something to play tug-a-war and let her get tired out. She sounds like a normal puppy.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies - we have tried giving toys etc in place of us, but she ignores them, even if we physically put them in her mouth!
I'm glad its just normal puppy stuff, my god she bites so hard she has drew blood several times (on different occasions). Its like she gets herself so worked up, this mad look comes on her face and she just has to bite! She even jumps up and bites immediatly after waking up from a nap! very strange girl... :)
I will try putting her on the floor if she bites us when sitting down and ignoring her, but does anyone have any tips for getting her to stop biting feet when we are walking around? As mentioned, chew toys etc just dont cut it (we must have tasty feet!) :)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Puppies always try and see what they can get away with but as Pam said,she is sooo young, she should have been with her siblings and mother ,if you see puppies with their siblings that's what they do.Try sqealing like a puppy when she bites.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sometimes Barney just needs to growl, jump and bite things. I think that's normal. If he starts hopping or biting on me, I direct him to play with a toy instead. A plain toy in his mouth is fine for fetch, but he sometimes like the interaction of a long string toy.

I made one from an old cotton shirt. It has a square part at one end for him to bite, then a long cord so I can stand up/sit in a chair, and dangle it on the floor for him. He loves to growl, jump, bite and chase it. Since it is soft, I can swing it into him :)

He doesn't really play with these toys without my interaction (yet), so I have to make time to play. The good thing about that is I can work on his 'drop' command, 'wait' sometimes, and even 'sit' sometimes before I give something back. He loves it !

Each time he starts doing something I don't want, I try to figure out what I do want and figure out ways to train for that. Good luck in your journey !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts