Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought two new chihuahuas, females about a week and a half ago. We already have two chihuahuas that are a year and a half old one male and one female. Juno the male is not adjusting very well he acts scared of them and depressed about them being here. I was wondering does anybody have any experience with this? I sure could use a few suggestions. Our female is happy and playful with the puppys. I did ask the vet she said to start taking him on walks instead of holding him all the time she seams to think hes just getting spoiled and nothing else.
Cathy

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
They're like kids! Don't like change sometimes; jealous. Show him attention if not more so he knows mommy still loves him. It will take time to adjust, but I don't think long.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Just ignore him let him get on with it. I found walking my two together bonded tem and they really love each other now! Why do you hold him? That just nurtures his behaviour and tells him it's ok for him to act like this!! Walking will bond a pack

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Def agree with walking them together as that does seem to bond dogs. Plus he might just need a little longer to adjust.
My boy Adam took ages to accept his new little sister Heidi. Hannah (2yrs same as Adam) loved her instantly but Adam bullied her and attacked her for at 4mths then pretty much ignored her for another 6mths! It did take them a full year to bond.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Just be positive, we were sure our girl hated out little boy when we got him. She wouldn't be on the sofa if he was, she didn't want anything to do with me if I was playing with him etc. Took about 2 weeks and now they're best pals.

Just do the walking and let them do their thing, they're just like kids and they usually will work it out for themselves.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do like that "they are like kids they will work it out themselves" I did forget to mention he has backslid on his house breaking since they arrived too. Any suggestions on what to do about the house breaking?
Thank you all,
Cathy

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I just posted in another thread about how it really helped me to get excited and happy dance for Godric whenever he does it right, he loves it and gets so excited he'll hop around. I did start off by taking training treats out with me and whenever he did it right i'd be stuffing it in his mouth immediately after he went.

He still has his accidents, as does my adult girl, it's to be expected, but my advice is just stay positive and use positive reinforcement!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amanda,
Yes I forgot all about getting back to basics and rewarding him for going outside. Thank you! I will get the treats out on the back porch and get ready.
Cathy

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yep, it's all just stepping stones, you have to crawl before you can walk I say. That being said you should be confident in yourself to train him, but just expect the unexpected. I switched Godrics food this week and just today his BM started going crazy, but I know it's not his fault.

Just whenever you fret think about baby steps, with anything. I also encourage to give Juno extra special attention. Our girl was SO pouty when we got Godric, broke my heart, but she knows she's always the princess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts