Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to begin with thankyou all for your enlightening information and for showing off pics of your beautiful babies. Anyway my baby girl is called Snowy and she is 16 weeks old. She is crossed between a short hair and a long hair chi and is white at the moment with some apricot coming through on her ears and down the centre of her back. I just love her to bits!!!!!!!! I have had alot of dogs over the years as i really love dogs but one hasnt gotten me so besotted so quick ever.
I would like to know if any of you has traveled with your babies? We leave in two weeks for a campervan holiday for three weeks and we are taking her with us. Is there any tips you can give me?
Also one more thing, I am having problems with my snowys eyes running non stop. I have been to the vet but he says even though he can operate to maybe help the problem he doesnt seem to think its worth what the dog goes through. Has anyone had any problems like this and do you all have any suggestions how to keep her eyes clean. they constantly look dirty. I wash her face every morning.
thankyou for your time

Snowys mum :wave:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
My vet told me chi's eyes tear a lot because their so large, so the eye is always well lubricated...Gizmo gets eye boogies in the morning...yucky...so I take saline solution on a cotton swab and gently wipe around the eye area..it helps clean it up, but it is something that will always be there...but the saline works good...but maybe somebody else has a better suggestion since your babies have light hair...Gizmo is a fawn, but he is getting blonder now

anywho... take care :wave:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Your puppy should be fine traveling, make sure you have a spot where she can sleep safely while the RV is moving. Charlie loves car rides...he usually sleeps quite a bit of the way though.

Tearing eyes is very common in small dogs, especially chi's. There heads are so little that there isn't enough room for everything and it causes the tearing. It really isn't anything to worry about, just make sure to wipe them frequently and because your pup is so light you'll want to be extra careful to keep them clean so it doesn't cause staining. It may get better as Snowy gets older. Charlie's eyes don't tear much at all anymore. :D

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Ooh im going away on a little caravan holiday on thursday with my Chi - and my Deano is nearly exactly Snowys colouring as described (ive not looked at the pics yet but i will now) and Deano's eyes also water, i just wash them every morning. I have never took Deano away with me before now but i plan to make sure he is warm, take his blankets and his toys, his rubber ball so he can play in the grass etc stuff like that. I cant wait! We have lots in common lol! I am a new chi owner too lol! Hope you have a great time on your mini holiday!
xfayex and xsleepydeanox :wave: :wave: :wave:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I take gadget with me all the time.. I haven't taken him over night yet, but all you need to do is take his stuff with him and make sure he has a safe comfy place to be in the RV while you are driving. I have a car seat for Gadget and every time I put him in the car he goes in his carseat and gets clipped in...

As for the eys tearing.. Gadget's eyes tear alot too... I just wash them everyday with a wet viva paper towel. They are soft like cloth. there are eye stain removers out there...

Good luck and God bless

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI everyone again. You are all so helpful and i would like to thank you again. Xfayx yes we do seem to have alot in common. I would love to email you direct maybe one day to keep tabs on our babies. Please let me know how your trip goes as i dont leave until the 4 of june. The tearing thing is just one of those things i think but hopefully she will get better with age. I just gave her a bath in the kitchen sink and she was soooooooo good. I have tried to post pics but im not having much luck. it just comes up as a little x

Anyway happy chi loving

Snowys mum
Traci

1 - 9 of 9 Posts