Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been here for a while. It's been kind of crazy in our household. My wife went out of state for work for three weeks and is back now. Her father's health is declining and she's been helping with him since then, so it's been mostly me managing the household with four chi's. So far it's been going really well.

The "little dogs": Bean now weighs four pounds (on a "fat day") at 17 months. I don't anticipate he'll maintain more than a few ounces bigger than that at this stage. He's my little boy and such a good one at that. Zoey's almost 9 months and weighs six pounds. We call her "monster dog", both due to her personality and the fact that she's ending up larger than both her parents (mom and dad were six and five pounds, respectively). I find that very interesting, especially considering Bean's parents were six and seven pounds. I can't believe that genetics didn't have a stronger influence in their cases.

The "big dogs": Spud and Libby are both down 1 1/2 pounds since June, weights 8 and 7 pounds respectively. They've lost a pound each since we got them in August. They both look and appear to feel much better. Spud's started playing with toys and his knees don't seem to bother him nearly as much as they used to. He's got an actual personality now, loves to "talk" and snuggle. Libby is quite the diva, very jealous of others getting attention when she doesn't, and has adopted a new "baby" (a little stuffed buffalo) since her other got lost in the shuffle after grandma passed.

They all get along amazingly well. The pack dynamics are interesting, though. It mostly boils down to "big dogs" vs "little dogs" or the big dogs and Zoey against Bean. I guess that's not exactly unexpected, but the exceptions are odd. The most fights are between Libby and Zoey whereas Spud and Bean basically ignore each other. Bean sometimes acts like he's afraid of the big dogs even though he's never fought with any of them. Bean and Zoey do the most playing though Spud's getting into it, and Libby usually does zoomies with the little dogs.

One thing they all agree on is that chewies are the best thing in the world. They totally keep the peace, too. I brought out a new set this morning and right now they're all quietly chomping on them in their favorite spots. I've learned the value of having a million of them lying around. All four are affable enough that if someone has the one they want they just seek out another. In the rare event that a spat starts up over a particular chewy it gets taken away (or thrown away, if applicable-usually it's over the very ends of Dingos, which I don't get, and yes, they're very much supervised when they get rawhide chewies.) They play "capture the chewy" a lot, though. lol All four of them have the bedtime routine down pat, from running into the kitchen when I tell them it's bedtime to dancing for their bedtime treats without having to say a word.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I also forgot to add that Spud's fur is coming back in nicely. I posted about him being a blue and having serious coat issues. He doesn't have any bald spots anymore and the new fur is getting to a good length. He has a wardrobe of sweaters now, also, and loves them. The poor baby gets cold so easily, even with his extra padding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts