Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Godrics neuter is tomorrow. I asked the vet if he can have dinner and they said yes, but they weren't overly clear, is there a cutoff time for his food and water tonight? I have to have him there at 8am. Reason I ask is I want to feed him late enough so that he isn't completely starved in the morning.

Secondly should I ask for pain medicine? I didn't get any for Gretel as I didn't realize it was an option at the time and she was miserable, but I hear it's significantly easier on boys.

Also should I bring him in a blanket? Is there a rule of what you can bring? I didn't want to seem weird showing up with him and his favorite cuddle-toy.

They didn't mention the pre-neuter bloodwork but is this something to consider? I don't recall if I had it done with my girl or not.

Thanks, i'd call them but who knows how much i'd understand over the phone, the receptionist isn't the clearest of communicators.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
usual cut off for food is 6pm the night before water can be down over night but needs to come up early morning .
its up to you with the pain meds , all my boys i haven't as it doesn't even seem to effect them , they bounce back pretty fast :).
i would take a blanket :) i dont see why they wouldn't allow that
the blood work again really is up to you although it is a good thing , i didn't get offered to have blood work done before for any of mine either .

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
We usually tell them no food after 10pm the night before, water is okay. Definitely ask for pain meds it helps them recover better. Males are easier than females as far as recovery goes, but it's still painful. I would definitely go for the bloodwork, as it checks liver/kidney functions to make sure they can handle/process/rid the body of the anesthesia okay before/after surgery as well as clotting factors to make sure there aren't any problems there.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
NInja was like his old self when he came home the cone bothered him more than the procedure lol he didn't get pain meds and didn't need them either I had to get him to settle down he was running around like a normal puppy lol

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I've always been told no food after midnight before a neuter or spay.

I have always opted not to do pre-surgery bloodwork for all of mine and they were all fine.

I got pain meds for all 3 of mine however it was optional, I opted to get them even for my boy. You do want them to feel some pain so they don't overdo things but the vet can give you low doses of pain meds just to take the edge off if you ask for them. They're pretty cheap and you don't have to give them if he seems to be fine.

None of mine have gone in with personal items from home but I'm sure you could if they allow it. You'd have to ask. Worst case scenario you could bring something anyway and if they say no then you leave with it. Doesn't hurt to try if you think it would make you or him feel better. ;)

We'll keep Godric in our thoughts tomorrow.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have ALWAYS opted to do pre-anesthetic blood work done. Never had a problem, but IMO, it's a very important thing to clear. I also always do IV fluids during the surgery, and pain medication afterward.

For feeding, I give them their usual dinner meal between 7-8 and ignore the morning breakfast plea. (I know they're fine ;))

Honestly, my girl seemed way better after her spay than Finn after his neuter. Granted, Finn did have an "exploratory neuter" as he had a retained testicle, but even still.

Good luck little Godric.

ETA: Oh, and I think bringing his personal belongings is a fine idea! I know at my vet's office, they make note of everything they come in with, that way they always have it with them and are sure to get it back at the end too!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
probably you should phone and ask for a definate time because I would have said 8pm for food thats 12 hours before you are due to have him there and water over night. But that means we have all given different times so best to phone. x

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My vet also says nothing after midnight the night before. But, to be honest, I always let them have a little something that morning (like one drink and couple pieces of food) b/c we get up at 6:15 and they don't usually have their surgery before 9:30/10:00. I can't imagine any way on earth that a drink of water and few pieces of food wouldn't digest in 3+ hours. So far, it's never been a problem. Of course I don't tell the vet that I do this...
Mine received an injection for pain that lasted two days. I tell the vet we'll do whatever he thinks they need. Mine thinks they need pain medicine and I agree.
I always take Bizkit wrapped in a blanket and his "girlfriend" (stuffed toy). He gets cold very easily and I want him to be comfortable. My vet has no problem with this at all. The last time he had his teeth cleaned, one of the techs came out and saw me holding him wrapped in his blanket and she said, "he's been wrapped up like a burrito all afternoon, I began to wonder if he ever moves!" I said "yeah, he does but he's not big on it." :)
Best of luck to Godric!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Our vet told us to give them the pain meds for 3 days, whether they seemed to need them or not. He said it would keep them calmer, and they would be less likely to get overly rambunctious and pull the incisions open.

And it sounds like a great idea to take in personal items...I'd definitely do it with one of mine if they were staying over.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I was told no food after 8pm.
I got bloodwork done for Daisy's spay recently, and will prob get bloodwork before Dillon's neuter.
I havent taken in anything with them, but i dont see the harm in that at all.

They always got pain meds too to come home with. x

·
Registered
809 Posts
We've never had a problem with people bringing personal items. I would caution you though not to take anything that has considerable value to you, either money wise or emotionally. I wouldn't take his absolutely favorite blanket. You never know what might happen and it could get ruined or lost. We try our best but we've had items that got destroyed by the dog (even though they never bothered anything at home, remember the vet's is a stressful place) or got diarrhea or vomit on them. We wash them but sometimes the dog has gone home before we get it through the laundry and then the owner has to come back for it, etc.

I'm sure he will come through with flying colors!!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
With all my dogs and cats, I was told no food or water after 6pm. Drop off at 8am. As for pain meds. I have never given extra to the boys but I always have to the girls. the boys never seemed affected.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heyy, thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate it!

I think i've decided that he'll get dinner around 9 but no later, as i'm a night owl and he'll be awake to have digested it and we don't go to bed till 12-1ish and he's usually up terrorizing till then.

And as far the blanky i'll send him off with a little fleece one i'll sleep on tonight, just something to wrap up in and smell like me, his hair is so fine i'm sure he'll be freezing. He is SUCH a cry baby i'm sure they'll be calling me begging for some on/off switch to him so hopefully that'll give him some comfort!

As far as the cone they didn't give me one for Gretel so i'm not sure if i'll get one with him, if not we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again, I appreciate everyones input

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Godric is at the doctor, no word yet though they didn't call during Gretels spay so I don't expect it.

She didn't mention pre-bloodwork and I didn't even think to ask till I was gone. He didn't cry when I left but i'm sure it kicked in once he realized I was gone.

6.4lbs so he's slimmed down since he's grown into his figure.

The weirdest thing though, Gretel is severely stressed out, she's pacing and barking at every little thing. She will not sleep and she's very clingy.

I wouldn't have thought they were so attached, but it appears they've bonded closely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts