Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard garlic is bad for chi's, and i'm assuming what i read was referring to just plain, fresh garlic. what if a dog food has "garlic" listed in the ingredients, is that bad too? or is it ok because it's mixed with the dog food?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i too have found conflicting arguments about garlic....... BUT when i was doing my research for my doggy cookie business and i gave a list of ingredients to the veterinarian i worked with he okayed everything but peanut butter (cause of the potential for stones.) and bacon grease (for the potentia of pancreatitis.) the one cookie called for garlic powder and he okayed that one.....

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow...peanut butter? i always thought peanut butter was good for dogs...i give chico nature's animals brand mini bones, the peanut butter and carob flavor....hmmm. the reason i ask, is because i really want to start him on wellness brand dog food, the Super5Mix chicken, but the label says it has garlic in it, and chico LOOOVES chicken. they have a lamb wellness flavor though, with no garlic, so i'll probly get that. thanx for your help. :)

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
your welcome.... peanut butter is fine when given occasionally, and like the dr said there is a POTENTIAL for stones. after doing more research on the recipe's garlic is in many of the doggy vitamine's and supplements as well. it helps with fleas garlic and brewer's yeast....

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i always buy doggie salami's in all flavours......there is one with garlic ....but it smells sooooooo hard !! i'm glad they are not so fond of that flavour so i don't buy that one anymore.........no more stinky breaths :wink:

i lovvveee garlic :D

kisses nat

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
KJsChihuahuas said:
1/2 clove a garlic once a week is what I give my dogs to control fleas :D
So garlic is good? I have a recipe for cookies and it has garlic...it's for fleas...

good to know...

By the way anyone know what to do about mosquito bites? we ha ALOT of mosquitos and Gizmo gets bitten... :cry:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
SunnyFLMum said:
KJsChihuahuas said:
1/2 clove a garlic once a week is what I give my dogs to control fleas :D
So garlic is good? I have a recipe for cookies and it has garlic...it's for fleas...

good to know...

By the way anyone know what to do about mosquito bites? we ha ALOT of mosquitos and Gizmo gets bitten... :cry:
first off get him on heart meds as soon as possible cause heartworm is a worry with mosquitoes. and second we have this spray at the house for the "itchies" made with tea tree oil and it helps sooth itchy skin..

i would say yes to garlic cause my vet approved my recipe with it in it.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Oh yes, he has been on heartwork meds since 10 weeks. My vet gave me a free puppy kit, which had heartworm meds, frontline, and a big bag of science diet. I'm going to have to try that spray you mentioned because he is sensitive to their bites

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
SunnyFLMum said:
Oh yes, he has been on heartwork meds since 10 weeks. My vet gave me a free puppy kit, which had heartworm meds, frontline, and a big bag of science diet. I'm going to have to try that spray you mentioned because he is sensitive to their bites
ours is called nature's care veterinarians best hot spot itch relief spray with tea tree oil and aloe.

(i got a mosquito bite and used it last night, instant itch relief!!! yes i use doggy things on myself lol)

·
Registered
148 Posts
[quote="luv4mygirls
(i got a mosquito bite and used it last night, instant itch relief!!! yes i use doggy things on myself lol)[/quote]

I know what I about to say it's gross...but I try their food and treats...lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Armando... said:
[quote="luv4mygirls
(i got a mosquito bite and used it last night, instant itch relief!!! yes i use doggy things on myself lol)
I know what I about to say sounds gross...but I try their food and treats...lol[/quote]

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Armando... said:
Armando... said:
[quote="luv4mygirls
I know what I about to say sounds gross...but I try their food and treats...lol
[/quote]

only food i ever tried was science diet Z/D it smells soooo good like beef stew or something. i liked it and it didn't taste like it smelled. i also ate a milkbone once hehe, and all the treats i home make are edible for people as well....

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
luv4mygirls said:
SunnyFLMum said:
ours is called nature's care veterinarians best hot spot itch relief spray with tea tree oil and aloe.

where can you get that nature's care vets best hot spot itch relief stuff? my grandmothers pekinese (sp?) has hot spots and skin allergies. the vet has her on IVD duck flavored canned food, but the hot spot relief might help her out more.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Chico's Mama said:
luv4mygirls said:
SunnyFLMum said:

where can you get that nature's care vets best hot spot itch relief stuff? my grandmothers pekinese (sp?) has hot spots and skin allergies. the vet has her on IVD duck flavored canned food, but the hot spot relief might help her out more.
most of my dogs suffer from some type of allergy food or other and have hot spots a lot. :x it's frustrating cause i feel so bad for them! we got this stuff at petsmart. i searched the site and found the link for you:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...older_id=2534374302026151&bmUID=1117824774433

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
get the stuff for yourself if you get bite up by mosquitos :p it helps me soooo much. my bites usually get bigger than quarters and itch for days! i just thought of using this on myself and it was instant and the bite didn't get that big this time. i wonder if it is a repellent too, i know it has a strong scent and it may repelle dates hehe.....

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
when i lived in NY, there was mosquitos EVERYWHERE...but i've been in vegas 2 years and haven't ever been bitten, so i'm under the impression mosquitos dont exist out here...lol.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Chico's Mama said:
when i lived in NY, there was mosquitos EVERYWHERE...but i've been in vegas 2 years and haven't ever been bitten, so i'm under the impression mosquitos dont exist out here...lol.
my cousin was in nevada too for a few years, (can't remember where though eek) not very far from vegas and she said only in some parts they were bad...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts