Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I recently adopted a 2 year old male. He is starting to get used to us mind you it has only been 4 days but he is doing quite well. The family we got him from had a 2 year old son that used to chase the dog around their house. My question is our new chihuahua is very scared and will cower most of the time. He still has not eaten his dog food yet, only milkbones. We own our own business and is with us most of the time. We give him tons of love and affection. Will he stop his scared nature? Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
587 Posts
i am not expert but from other peoples storied i think he will do just fine but it will take some time. i know others will have more info for you as well, just be gentle with him and in time he will become more and more comfortable

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
That is so sad to me that someone would let their child chase their dog around. :x

But eventually he'll come around. :wink: He's got to get used to the fact that there isn't anyone there terrorizing him anymore and that he is safe. With patience and time he'll be fine. :wave:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our 3rd chi was much like the one you adopted. We got him from my wife's sister, who got him (Johuahua) because she thought it would be cute to have a chi. She didn't have time for him and her 5 year old "terror" handled him roughly. Since we have had him (since Jan 05) he has relaxed quite a bit and is extremely playful. You would think we had him since a pup. He will cower initially as I reach down to pet him, but he relaxes right away when I begin to pet him. He's our little son, and we love'em!

I would stop giving him the milkbones and make only his food (and water) available to him. He's still very tense and scared about you and his new environment, even if you don't see it. When he's hungry enough he'll eat. Make sure you're putting the food where he can find it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
once he gets used to you he will be fine. i have a dog that was abused prior to me owning her(not a chi) and it took me about 2 months to be able to pet her head. as soon as my hand came near her she would cower and run away and hide. now she knows when my hand goes up, i'm not going to hit her, just pet her. it takes a little time for him to trust you and get used to his new surroundings but he'll come around. As for food, i'm sure he will eat as soon as he's not so scared, but you can try mixing in some wet food or one of those gravy packets to try to get him to eat a little. good luck :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I agree with everyone else ... you may want to try warming a little chicken broth and mixing it with his food to make it smell extra yummy. You may also want to put his food bowl where it's out of the line of traffic and he feels safe turning his back on everyone to eat.

Once he gets used to the new digs, I'm sure he'll perk up a bit. You might try taking him on a walk in the neighborhood so you and he get to know each other a bit and so when you return home, he has the feeling of being somewhere familiar after being outside. That might make him settle in a little faster.

Be sure not to coddle the fear though; you don't want to teach him that it's okay to be afraid. As hard as it may be, just go about your "normal" day and let him observe you and figure out what you're all about. He'll ease into the family once he realizes that he better join in or he's missing out! :D

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Just want to say hello & welcome. Agree with the other posts that he will begin to trust you and come around. Also want to say how glad I am you adopted him :wave:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
welcome,
i think over time he will come around, since he wasn't abused, just chased, he probably will be ok, it will take him sometime to realize you won't treat him that way, just for now be calm around him and don't invite people with small children over for a while until he is used to you guys,
good luck
Roie

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I just know he'll respond to your love and kindness but it might take some time. Be patient with him and he'll come to trust you.

He might never take to children and who could blame him? Why on earth would people think it was okay to let their child terrorize their dog? :?

Thanks for adopting him and giving him the love he's always deserved... and longed for. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts