Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted a 2 year old Chi. I have had him in the house for a few days and he will not come out of his crate. Serious fear agression. He has bit me hard when I brought him home.

Turns out from the previous owner, this dog never left home from age 8 weeks to the day I got him. He was never on a leash, only left the house for the vets office. Sat in the owners lap most of the day.

As of now we are on day 4 in the crate. His name is Joey. He is staying in a large wire crate (36x27x27 roughlhy). He has a blanket from my bed, a pee pad, water and food. I threw a blanket over the crate about 2/3rds to create a little cave. I pull back the blanket during part of the day so he can see the activity in the next room. I sit on the floor or couch in front of him sometimes and read/clip coupons, work on my laptop and watch tv. My other dog sits and sleeps near his crate and I interact with her (Lady) in front of Joey. I leash her for walks and give her treats etc, or she just sits next to me while I work.

Next plan is to move Joey's crate into the livingroom so he is a bit more exposed to our family life. Right now he is in a family room that was in transition so the kids stay out of there. There are lots of windows, a nice breeze a couch and tv. But there is no people traffic. He can see people in the kitchen/laundry area when I pull his blanket back.

He has ventured out of the crate a few times when there are less people in the house. I am hoping next week, when I am the only one here during the day, he might be more comfortable coming out.

He has not pooped yet. He pee's overnight on his pee pad.

Please any thoughts or suggestions with him? THere were children where he lived. He was just not socialized and spoiled quite a bit. THe day I picked him up they decided to give him his first EVER bath. Which he freaked out of course. I know there has been a lot of trauma in his world in the last week.

What is a reasonable timeline to work through all of the adjustments? He is almost 3 (they told me he was 18months, but the vet paperwork they gave me said DOB is 12/28/2009.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I would continue what you are doing and you can also try bach flowers rescue remedy therapy. Also try sitting in front if gis cage and giving him and your other a really good treat. Maybe leave one right outside the crate door and slowly moving it farther and farther out but to me it sounds like you are taking it slow. I would try rescue remedy though to help with the anxiety and trauma

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It really sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Pedro (half Chi, half Cairn Terrier) was a rescue at that same age - he was actually deemed unadoptable and scheduled to be put down 2 days before I stepped in and gave him a forever home. He was abused, not spoiled or pampered.

We've had him 2 years, and I won't tell you that it's been easy, but we sure have come a long way.

The only person in his life (before us) who was ever kind to him was an elderly woman. I don't consider myself elderly (yet), but I'm female, so I have never had a problem with Pedro. He looks to me for everything.

But, he bit my husband daily for the first 6 months we had him. It seems he hated men and children. My husband is great with animals and very patient, and he left the scolding to me. He was determined to befriend Pedro, and he did. But we had to add another 5 month old Chi rescue to the mix and Pedro had to witness my husband's interaction with Gracie before he decided my husband just might be okay.

He's also good with my 11 month old grandson, but I never leave them unattended.

He still has aggression towards other dogs - not our two Chis, but he refuses to make friends with the huge Great Pyrenees/Border Collie rescue we have in the back yard. He goes into full attack mode. He will do the same on a leash when we take him for a walk.

Keep doing what you're doing. It's more difficult with older dogs, but you can make progress. Just be patient with him - it sounds like you're prepared to do that!

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Thank you for rescuing him. I have had a few dogs like Joey. My Pekingese I got from a hoarding situation took a year before she would come out from under my bed. If I needed to take her somewhere, my son and I would have to take apart the bed to get her. I did just a lot of quiet talking, reading on the ground, petting and loving her sister that I got at the same time from the same hoarder, and lots of chicken training treats, which she loved. And lots and lots of patience. She turned into a great little dog once she got over her shyness. Tiko was about 11 years old, from an awful situation, abused, filthy and mostly blind from neglect and it took a few days of me reading in the bathroom with him in the crate, growling at me before he decided I was ok. Keep doing what your doing. I wouldn't move him out of the family room until he indicates he is ok with more interaction. Moving him too quickly can cause a setback. Let him set the pace and just have a lot of patience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.