Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read a number of posts recently that come across most judgemental regarding a variety of subjects. I want to word this very carefully so's not to offend.

Some of those posts have been hurtful to me so I can only imagine how the poster felt.

The real hot button on this forum seems to be buying non standard chi's. If this were strictly a breeders and show forum I could understand some of the harsh comments, but it's not. It's (supposedly) for all who own a chihuahua, regardless of quality, therefore the strong heated comments about breed standard needs to be softened just a bit.

I don't need a bunch of breeders jumping down my throat either. I understand about maintaining breed standard, and I understand the reasons. But that's in a perfect world and we aren't in a perfect world so some folks need to get over it and not be so darn nasty. And NO, I don't advocate supporting puppy mills and back yard breeders. I buy from hobby breeders, who's dogs are loved and well taken care of. If I bought for breed standard alone, I would never own my beloved dogs because there is no way I can affor $1,500 for a dog. I have no desire to show, I know how competitive show people can be and have no desire to be in that atmosphere. But that's another rant entirely.

At any rate, the atmosphere on the forum at times gets so touchy that I don't feel the freedom to even brag about my guys because they are so sub-standard. It's a shame, I think, that those strong opinions are permitted to hurt others feelings and bully non-standard chi owners. That may not be your intent, but that's how it feels.

For example, when someone asks our opinion about a breeder, we get into the big long diatribes about maintaining breed standard, to the extent that the individual wishes they had never ask. Gee Whiz folks, the question requires a simple yes or no, not a re-iteration of what's been said a million times before.

Well that's it. Please don't jump on me, it's not necessary. I already know I've stepped in hostile waters.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, unfortunately, I don't see it changing either. Those with strong opinions will always feel a need to voice them and those more sensitive will always be hurt. :-( Wouldn't it be nice if everyone would try to consider others feelings before they blurt things out? So many folks are of the opinion that it's "their way or no way". :-(

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Alot of comments on here are kind of making me leary about posting pics of my chi's when I finally figure out my new camera, because my older chi is much larger than the average chi, plus he is very overweight. I KNOW someone will make a snide remark about him! (For the record, my vet knows he is very overweight; but he IS healthy otherwise.) It just seems like some people have the attitude that "my chihuahua is better than yours ", and that their opinions are so much more "right" than others!

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
chis rule said:
At any rate, the atmosphere on the forum at times gets so touchy that I don't feel the freedom to even brag about my guys because they are so sub-standard.
Never stop bragging about Bu and Ernie. They are two of the cutest, lovable chis ever.
There has been a lot of "breeder talk" lately.
And I know what you mean, some of us can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on that "perfect" standard chihuahua.
Don't be lurkers! Show that those of us with "sub-standard" chis are just as important. And our chis are just as cute ;)
Carl's one "special" chihuahua (mix) with loong legs and floppy ears...not to mention he's 12 lbs!
But would I love him anymore if he was standard? No! So I'm gonna keep on bragging about my boy :foxes_207:

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Good thread btw Lin- maybe some people will realize that they're unintentionally hurting others :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
mylo is larger than the standard chi, he isnt a show chi either,hes 11lb but hes my little man, and i wouldnt b without him. I dnt care if he isnt show quality, and i dont think any of us should have to not want to post pics or not talk about are babys just bcuz they arnt 3lbs and show quality chi`s. I think every chi on this forum weather it has medical problems or whatever is just as precious and as gorgeous as another. And i dont think that people who are really into showing their chi`s should for one moment say harsh comments about another persons pride and joy. ok so people who prefer show quality chi`s wouldnt buy a larger size chihuahua or a chi mix, but who are they to judge other people who do want to give these chi`s loving homes. We dont say harsh comments about show quality chi`s so y should it b ok for them to do so?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thank you girls. Now ya got my eyes tearing up! :) Old soppy me. And Katie, don't you ever stop posting pics of Carl nor Sam you Mylo either! I love those dogs. I feel much better now. Thanks girls

Unfortunately tho, the offenders will probably not recognize themselves, but I feel better getting it off my chest.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Great thread, I don't care if you don't want to see pix's of Gizmo or not lol you don't have to look, I love my littleman no matter how big or small he's gonna be..
I've read posts here and yes I see some are hurtful, I always tell my kids "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" that way feelings dont' get hurt..if only everyone lived by those words. To give a opinion in one thing but to post a remark knowing it's gonna hurt someone, why bother.
Ok enough said..I totally love this site and hopefully everyone will get along.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Wow I had no idea that many members felt that way! :shock: It makes me sad and perhaps make me rethink the way we are allowing people to just spout their holier than thou opinions all over the place.

I've been here almost 3 years, am a moderator and to be honest I feel uncomfortable about posting pics of my boys too. :oops: They are no where near standard and for some reason I feel that others feel they are less chihuahua than some of the "perfect" ones we have here. Whether that vibe is unintentional or not, it's a vibe that is definitely been given off around here.

I'm sorry that you guys feel that way. :( I know I love seeing pics of each and every one of your babies, I really do. And I don't give a rat's ass if they are standard or not. :lol:

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I totaly agree with everyword....you have my total support.

I have had a few negative comments about Triny , not too bad or I would of left as I am not on here to be judged., I am on here as we all have something in common, we all love our dogs and want to share our knowledge, pics and just chat about them.

I have also been a member for a while and haven't posted as much as we do seem to be getting some negative feedback.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I just want to make it clear that nobody is any more of a member here than another and nobody's chi is better than another. We are all equals on this site. And if anyone here thinks they are better than anyone else, they are on the wrong forum. :wink:

I hate that you guys feel the way you do and I wish we could fix it. :( Unfortunately though the perfect chi talk isn't going to stop anytime soon. But what we can do it just be more honest with how we feel. We don't have to be nasty to one another but maybe get more active. Start more threads about your chi's, post more pics, show everyone how proud you are. :wink: Nobody gives a damn how perfect another chihuahua is and all of the imperfections our babies have, make them who they are. :)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts