Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just needed to vent after seeing something on the news. A breeder took her little 6 1/2 week old Chi puppy to the vets to be euthanized because she was born without her front legs. The vet says no and it is being fostered now. Perfectly healthy in every other way but she wanted to kill her. People just burn me up! :foxes15: More and more of these two legged puppies are being born?However we see them in the news all the time and they live fine without them but yet she wasnt going to give her a chance:foxes15:....okay vents over.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
That's disgusting! It's sad that so many people see euthanasia as the only choice. My vet tells me stories all the time about the reasons many pet owners bring in their pets to be pts. Most of them are for the most outrageous and ridiculous reasons. Because of fleas for example, or barking, one man even brought in his 3 year old dog because he was going on vacation and had no clue what else to do with the dog! Also a woman brought in a Poodle, because she got new furniture and the dog no longer matched!!! It all just blows my mind. We have a responsibility to these helpless creatures, how dare we decide when their life should end when they are healthy and willing to live? Kudos to the vet for not putting that Chi down, wish there were more vets that care about the animals over the profit.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
That makes me so mad to hear things like that,dogs /puppies with disabilities make wonderful pets they seem to know their not right.I met a lady the other day who had a little dog that had problems,she said she always goes for dogs with problems or runts of the litter as they are so loveable and dependable

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Vet has 6 Chi's just for this reason. All he kept instead of putting down or they were surrendered to him.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Ugh- that's so sad :( I'm really happy that the vet refused to do it. People make me sick.

I know someone from another forum who is fostering a 3 legged chi right now. He's adorable. The owner surrendered him to her vet office to be euthanized because of a broken leg that needed to be reset. The leg ended up having to be amputated and the girl on my forum is paying for all of the costs while fostering him. It's awesome how she decided to take him in as a foster.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Bless the vets who refuse to do it, there are so many little dogs u hear about who have the same disability & the owners have gone to such lengths so they can have as normal a life as possible.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
:( :( :( So happy to hear that they didn't put her to sleep. What a horrible person to want to do such a thing.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I saw Faith on Oprah. There are also some Chi's the last few years that have been born the same way and have gotten along fine and not to mention adorable :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
People are heartless! I mean I don't even want to think about the people who don't even bring them to the vet and do it themselves. I just can't stand ignorant people. Would she want to kill her own child if it was born without arms? Grrrrr Now I'm heated !!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I wonder why, if she was intending to euthanize the puppy because it was born without its front legs, she waited until the puppy was already 6 1/2 weeks old. It seems like she would have known the puppy was missing legs at birth. It seems almost more cruel to wait until the puppy was so old if she was just intending to kill it. People make no sense. I am glad someone stepped in to save the puppy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is near and dear to me. I have a blue chi who is the love of my life and recently my husband and I took in a new little girl who was born without front legs. The "breeder" flat out told us they were going to put her to sleep just because she didn't have legs. Our hearts melted. She was teeny tiny when we first got her and totally malnurished. They were feeding her half and half and four pieces of food a day!!

Anyway we've had her for about a month and all I can say is wow! She is amazing. She is just like any other puppy. She plays like crazy and loves to eat! She loves giving kisses and trying to steal food from her brothers! She is the cutest!! We talk about everyday how sick it is that anyone would want to get ride of her!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
That's very very sad. I really hope that the chi puppy will find a great home. I would love to know how the little one is doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts