Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so upset right now. My sister has just said that me not having Cookie put to sleep is cruel as he has no life!!!!

For those that don't know Cookie ia 15 in May and totally blind.

He's not allowed in the living room anymore like the girls are because he constantly wets himself. He has a big duvet type dog bed in the hallway under the radiator and can go anywhere he likes in the hallway and kitchen and garden.

At night I have a massive doggie cage with another bed in it and a blanket. On the other side are pads for if he wee's in the night which he uses every night. He also is given a cooked meal at night before his bed and then he settles down for his sleep. He has his normal dog food JWB but at night he's allowed his treat of a bit of cooked steak or ham with veg and potato. The girls aren't allowed this just Cookie as I don't see why at his time of life he shouldn't have a few extras. After he's eaten that he likes to go to sleep with his full belly.

In the morning I lift him out as he can't see and clean out the cage and put all fresh in there ready for the night. He's out all day and mostly sleeps on his bed under the radiator.

He's blind so he bashes into things when he's walking and also in the garden he walks round in circles. I carry him in and out to go toilet.

Today he was sooooo tired and had wet himself in his bed. I gave him a nice hot bath and cleaned him up and washed his bed. When I lifted him out the bath and laid him on the floor to dry him he just lay there. But after he was all refreshed he woke up a bit and was his usual self.

My sister said I am cruel to makm live like this and he should be pts as he has no quality of life!!! She also said she told another woman she works with who has chis and she said I was cruel too!!!!

I am beyond upset right now. I love Cookie sooo much and can't bear the thought of having him pts. I feel so bad my girls can go in the living room and sleep in my bed while he's in his cage but he wets in the night and is blind. He'd walk off the bed and hurt himself.

I want honest opinions please on what you think.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I am so very sorry.

It is really something only you can know. The advice we got is that you have to ask who they are being kept alive for. If they still are happy, in no or limited pain, then there is no reason for them to be put to sleep. EVEN if it means extra work for you. You are the person managing the care and if you do not mind the extra effort then it should not matter to anyone else.

If, however, the dog is miserable and really not having a wonderful life you have to honestly ask if you are keeping him around to soothe yourself and the pain of losing him (totally understandable feeling) rather than for him.

It is a terrible thing to have to decide. I pray that you have peace whatever the best decision for you and him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you should do what you feel is right. No one else knows the dog or the circumstances the way you do.

We had a very old dog (not a chi but a small shetland sheepdog) who my mother couldnt bear to part with. We kept her going for about 3 years on expensive medication and everyone accepted her incontinence issues and the fact that she became cranky and irritable but eventually it came to the point where its was becoming cruel and she had no quality of life. Plus she began to snap at the other dogs as she couldnt handle their energy That was a difficult decision that my mother had to make but she would not have appreciated being told what to do by anyone else.

We had her cremated and my mother keeps the ashes in her bedroom :)

I think you 100% have to do what you think is right. I just wonder if you are asking the question because deep down you think maybe you might be doing the wrong thing?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am so sorry. Your situation just breaks breaks my heart. I will keep you and Cookie in my prayers.Now for an opinion. Have you discussed it with your vet? what do they think? I have always felt our pet tells us when it is time. Cookie is very well cared for.I have had to put 3 Rhodiesien Ridgebacks to sleep. One was my show dog. All three had cancer, Lung,Liver, and to the blood supply of the skin (very rare) It broke my heart to do this but they all three let me know they were ready. Keeping them alive would have been for me but not for them. I don't think you are being cruel. I think you are a loving mama, that adores her Cookie. Somtimes letting them go is the most loving thing we can do. I would take him to your vet and get their honest opinion. Put it to the vet as "if Cookie was your own dog, would you let them go.?" Then go home and pray and ask God for guidance. You will have the quiet voice in your heart to to give the answer you are looking for. Hope I don't sound like a religious nut but I don't make any serious decisions in my life without the direction of my higher power. God Bless you and you and Cookie will be in my prayers.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If cookie isn't in pain... can still eat and drink.... seems to enjoy his life and doesn't seem distressed.... then why end his life?

I think you are doing the right thing Maria. You are obviously taking excellent care of him. His little body is giving out but I think he will let you know when he's ready to leave this earth. When he stops eating or drinking, or yelps in pain when you pick him up, or seems sad and miserable - then you will know.

I believe the kindest thing we can do to our old friends is to help them leave this earth when the time is right and they are ready. Only YOU can know when that time has come.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My old friends here know more but I do NOT ever keep a dog alive for my benefit. Benny my chi was 10 years old and got sick and when there was nothing more to be done and he was suffering I had him pts. I've been through that and I made the right decsion.

Not once have I considered I am doing wrong by Cookie and not once has my vet who has cared for Cookie all his life suggested I have him pts. Cookie is a fiesty old boy and he's happy. I know my boy. I am not keeping him aliive for my benefit. He is in no pain or anything. looking after him is extra work which I am happy to do. It is no bother to me at all.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If cookie isn't in pain... can still eat and drink.... seems to enjoy his life and doesn't seem distressed.... then why end his life?

I think you are doing the right thing Maria. You are obviously taking excellent care of him. His little body is giving out but I think he will let you know when he's ready to leave this earth. When he stops eating or drinking, or yelps in pain when you pick him up, or seems sad and miserable - then you will know.

I believe the kindest thing we can do to our old friends is to help them leave this earth when the time is right and they are ready. Only YOU can know when that time has come.
He's in no pain at all or anything like that. He moves like ligthening when there's food cooking and eats fine. He's had his teeth cleaned and some bad ones removed recently. He has never been one for cuddles or strokes so that's not changed. He was never a lap dog he's alawys been his own self. Not ever wanting kisses or to be stroked. That's just Cookie.

He loves his dinner and eats his food up no problem. He has his little naps in his bed. He goes out for bthe toilet. He gets checked at the vet.

I don't see why just because he's old he should be pts.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
That may be your sister's opinion, but no one loves Cookie more than you and she certainly should have been more gentle with her wording. I feel for you, hun. My Pom was 18 when she passed and I faced the same situation. It's so hard and I very much sympathize with you. Being blind alone is certainly not a reason to euthanize. Here's the questions I asked myself regarding quality of life as my Pom reached her final year:

Is she in pain?
Does she still enjoy things? (treats, lying in the sun, being cuddled/petted, etc.)
Is she eating well?
Is she reasonably mobile without pain?
Does she seem distressed?
Does she seem depressed?

These are only questions you can answer being that you are the one that is with Cookie the most and knows him the best. It's so difficult to let go of our beloved friends, but I tried to be very honest with myself and reevaluated often. Our pets are family and we want the best for them. I think when it's time we know in our heart. If you feel Cookie still has quality of life, isn't in pain, is still happy and enjoys things, I'd say it's not his time, but it is up to you to decide as you know him best. xxxx

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
He's in no pain at all or anything like that. He moves like ligthening when there's food cooking and eats fine. He's had his teeth cleaned and some bad ones removed recently. He has never been one for cuddles or strokes so that's not changed. He was never a lap dog he's alawys been his own self. Not ever wanting kisses or to be stroked. That's just Cookie.

He loves his dinner and eats his food up no problem. He has his little naps in his bed. He goes out for bthe toilet. He gets checked at the vet.

I don't see why just because he's old he should be pts.
I agree 100% with you Maria. You are taking excellent care of him. He is lucky to have you. When things change, you will know.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I agree with everyone else...YOU are the only one who will know when the time is right. For anyone else to call you cruel is unfair. If he isn't in pain & appears happy and is eating/drinking as Tracy said than there is no reason to put him to sleep.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
See, then, you know best! Like I said, you are managing his care and if you do not mind doing extra for him then NO ONE else should even have an opinion. You are not inconveniencing anyone else after all!

People used to tell me (with our old boy), "I could never take the time to make my pet's food myself" or "I would never spend that much on vet bills, I'd let him go instead", etc.
I just thought well, you might not want to with yours (and that was okay) but it was worth it to me. So I did what I could. Just like you, I did not ask anyone to make accommodation for him so I did what I wanted.

You just keep loving and caring for him as long as you can!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts

I think you have your answer right there. :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
My answers to your questions
Ha, it was the same with my Pom, she ate like a pig almost till the end. When she rejected her food toward the end, I knew it was coming toward her time. It was always a big deciding factor for me because dogs don't eat well when they are sick, in pain, or depressed.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm in tears right now I'm so upset. I can't belive knowing me she's even say that to me. I am so angry.

Ok Cookie is blind now and sleeps more and is slower but he's coming up to 15. He's always checked out at the vet and has any treatment needed like his teeth recently.

I wouldn't have him pts yet. No way. There's no reason to. He's fine. Wheb Benny was sick I made the right decision. I discussed it with my vet and he said he thought it was best and I did it. I didn't want to but I did for Benny. I could have been selfish and kept on trying to get him better and he could have had an op that they said he would most likely die during but I didn't. I did the best for him.

·
Administrator
7,248 Posts
marie im so sorry you are going through this honey i know how much you adore all 3 of your babies its a hard place to be in i cant imagine if i was in your shoes what id feel like but i think my opinion would be if hes not in pain still eating and seems happy enough i would keep him with me till i felt it was time he had enough wich im sure he would soon let you know i think hes worth the extra effort but this is just my opinion only you will know in your heart of hearts what you should do give cookie big cuddles from me and heres a big (((HUG))) for you hunni

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha, it was the same with my Pom, she ate like a pig almost till the end. When she rejected her food toward the end, I knew it was coming toward her time. It was always a big deciding factor for me because dogs don't eat well when they are sick, in pain, or depressed.
I agree, when Benny wouldn't eat I knew. If Cookie wouldn't even eat then yes I wpuld have him pts. But that dog loves his food. He's in that kitchen quicker than lightening when he smells cooking. He eats his food up no problem. Even his plain old dog food he eats. His bowl is kept in the same place and he knows where it is and just goes up and takes his food when he wants or drinks. He's always there eating. He has his little cooked meal at night and loves it. I give him treats and tap him and put it to his mouth and he takes them

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
marie im so sorry you are going through this honey i know how much you adore all 3 of your babies its a hard place to be in i cant imagine if i was in your shoes what id feel like but i think my opinion would be if hes not in pain still eating and seems happy enough i would keep him with me till i felt it was time he had enough wich im sure he would soon let you know i think hes worth the extra effort but this is just my opinion only you will know in your heart of hearts what you should do give cookie big cuddles from me and heres a big (((HUG))) for you hunni
Thanks. I know it's not time. I never considered it. I will know when and I will do the right thing when that time comes.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
marie i agree with everyone else
we all know how well cared for cookie is,
your relitive should know what you are going through
and to call you cruel was very insensitive at this time.
our old family dog teddy was 18 when we had him put to sleep,
but at this stage he had gone off his food.
you and cookie will know when the time is right,
i really feel for you, but you know you will have our support
on here. xx

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh Marie I can't say anymore than what everybody else has said,as long as he's not in pain and has your love and the care you give him it,s not cruel.In your heart you will know when the time has come he will give you that look and you will know.We are here for you

1 - 20 of 46 Posts