Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Baya, my 8 month old chi. Although I have papers for her I am really beginning to think that she is chi/italian grey hound mix. She has gray and pink spots on her belly and under her front legs. So I am just curious as to what experienced chi owners might think!

And don't worry about hurting my feelings. I will love her just the same, and I have already had her spayed bc I am just completely sure tht she is a pure bred. I am just more curious than anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can even see the spots in the pics if you look down by her little vag, and between her front legs. Also something else that has always bothered me is that her ears do not stand up. They are always floppy, unless she is on alert then they will go up but then flop right back down.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
ahhh she is such a cutie pie!!! i'm not sure, she looks like a chi to me, a lto of chi's ears do not stand up, doens't mean it's not a purebred. also those spots, bam has them too but i think they are summer spots, they appear between may and june and disappear by the end of august. i know, strange.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think she's a purebred Chi. We have several people on here with adult dogs (Jasper, Boss, etc) that have floppy ears and they are definitely's Chi's! The little skin spots are common. So I would say she is a purebred Chihuahua! And a really cute one for sure!

Brodysmom

·
Registered
708 Posts
The summer spots are like automatic protection from the sun, so they appear in the summer and disappear in winter, but i think this also depends on their skin type and pigment, because my Peppi has them, but Lourdes doesn't. I call it "dirty belly" syndrome :)
Princess Baya is lovely :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your comments! Baya is a lovely little chi! I absolutely adore her. Honestly I have always been more of a cat person and I never really thought I would like let alone love a dog, but Baya has melted my heart completely.

Here is a pic of Baya's lil sis, Gidget...she is 12 weeks old and a yorkshire terrier!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Poppet had prominent spots on his skin and he was chi through and through. I'd say that though she doesn't fit into the standard of chi, she's still pure. She actually looks a lot like a friend's chi, Shelby.

The chihuahua is one of those breeds that just has huge swings in conformation. I think your baby and others like her were more of what chis originally looked like, and breeders are trying to create a particular type for show...so you have both types cropping up.

The basset hound is another breed that does this. I think basset hound, and the image that comes to mind is a very short and squat dog like off the Hushpuppy ads. Yet when I went looking at a litter of bassets (that weren't show dogs and were used for hunting), I found a longer legged dog (not long, just longer) with fewer folds. The show basset would be useless in the field...yet they're both the same dog. One bred for function (the original), and another to exemplify a more "ideal" look. Doesn't meant the functional dogs weren't bassets though.

It is confusing.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
she looks full to me with floopy ears , her parents might have been on the tall end of the chis. which makes he extar long.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All your comments have made me feel a lot better! I was never quite sure so I decided against breeding her. She is darling though and a very special member of our family. She is definitely Mommy's Princess Girl!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
She's beautiful. I wouldn't worry about her ears that happens. I had a Chi called Benny who always looked a bit different. He was a lot bigger than any Chi's I've ever seen but he was a full Chi. They don't all look alike. I think she's lovely.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Thank you all for your comments! Baya is a lovely little chi! I absolutely adore her. Honestly I have always been more of a cat person and I never really thought I would like let alone love a dog, but Baya has melted my heart completely.

Here is a pic of Baya's lil sis, Gidget...she is 12 weeks old and a yorkshire terrier!

Oh I just love Yorkshire Terriers. She's so cute.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I went to see a few litters of a certain breeder whose adult chi-s all were very long legged aand lean looking---almost like baby greyhounds. she offered CKC,UKC and APRI ??? "papers" for these pups.

The pups that I saw were "pure" just not AKC standard but no less a chihuahua.

What sort of papers do you have for her and do you know the parents ?? Just curious.

She is beautiful !!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here in Southern California, Chi's are a popular breed. Next to pit bulls, they are everywhere.She looks pure Chi to me. My neighbor's Chi has ears that are floopy and she is as cute as can be. My boy Chi, Jack has ears that standup and flop somethimes at the very tip.Black Chi's are the most common here.
I wouldn't worry about her ears.
The breeder that I bought Jack from had two girls in the litter and their ears were floppy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts