Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 yr. old, 15 lb, neutered male chihuahua who has always been healthy. Today I noticed he was walking a little funny and upon closer observation I noticed that one side of his "stomach" was hanging down near the left hind quarter. I laid him on his back and felt of that area and it is clearly swollen, but appears to be freely mobile as if full of fluid - and in the middle of this I could feel a ping-pong size knot. When he walks that area swings back and forth, so it's not swollen like hard tissue at all. He's eating just fine too. He keeps turning around and sniffing of that area, so I know he's bothered by it. The only trouble he's had recently is his anal glands, but those were expressed by the vet two weeks ago. I'm so worried about him and will take him to the vet tomorrow, but wonder if I should get him seen today as an emergency???

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
i can understand your concern!, its very hard to know what is the actual cause of the lump, as their are many causes, my best advice would be to phone the vet and ask wether you shud take him in straight away or just wait for your appointent.
Im guessin the vet would probably just say tomoro was fine, as his general health apart from the lump seems fine. good luck with your appointment i hope its nothing to serious! please let us know how u get
best wishes
mia

x

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
firstly hi and welcome to the gropup .

I would say tomorrow is fine as if he is ok in hiself and not in any pain they wouldnt say it was an emergency like mia says it could probably be a simple cyst or it could be a hernia due to its size and location - this is basically an area of ripped muscle which is usually painless and causes no problems it can be operated on to put it back in place.

I would not think it is anything malignant as if he went toi the vets 2 weeks ago he would of picked up on it then so it wouldnt of been there and cancerous tumours usually start of tiny and grow over time .

good luck and keep us posted

drop by the newbie section and introduce yourself and your little guy formally :wave:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vet Visit

I've been neglect in updating my visit on Monday - sorry. The vet originally thought it was a hernia just by my phone description, but when I took him in he said that it was a hematoma. He said without opening him up, that's his best guess. Apparently Tyke got injured somehow and the blood pooled up under the skin. He said the knot that I was feeling was actually muscle that was being pushed out by the blood. I can't imagine what must have happened to have caused that kind of bleeding as there are no visible injury signs - nothing. He's not even sensitive in that area. Unless something tore internally I have no idea what happened. It's about the size of a small lemon, but he said it will take months to go away and that the area should harden as the blood coagulates. I'm still keeping a close eye on him though.

Thanks to everyone for their concern as we chi lovers have to stick together!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it is kinda funny that when I told my supervisor at work about him she thought it was a hernia too. Glad it wasn't because I know the only option for that is surgery. The only surgery Tyke has had was when he was neutered and it was NOT a fun experience for the vet. We had dropped Tyke off in the morning and later on in the day I got a call at work and the vet said, "This ain't happening today. Tyke has decided he's keeping what he's got. He's showing his teeth and I'd like to keep my hands. You need to come pick him up and let's try this another day." I felt like I was getting a call from the principal at my son's school telling me my child had been bad! We tried the next day and it took three shots to knock him out so the vet could touch him without Tyke taking his hands off. I hear a lot of chi's are very protective of their owners. I wonder how many are out there that think they're Great Danes?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I bet you are glad that you have an explanation...but I would also be wondering how it could have happened..especially since he was not sensitive to the touch.
Oh well, now you know to watch it...and what you expect it to do....
good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts