Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be the mother to the worlds most "special" chihuahuas. They are always doing something that makes me shake my head.

Today, I go to Tractor Supply to pick up some more TOTW and I remember Godric needs a new food bowl (OH smashed the old plastic one accidentally) so I grab a couple stainless steel ones with the rubber bottoms, and see a $10 bed bin so I grab one of those too.

Get home, wash the bowls dump the dog food in and my two run away from them! They are terrified of these new bowls, and to boot want nothing to do with the new bed either.

So I smear a gob of peanut butter in the bottom of the bowl to get them acquainted with them - Godric steals Gretels peanut butter, and runs off. Gretel seems okay with hers now but I have a feeling the next few feedings should be fun to watch.

What am I going to do with these two, sheesh!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When Leila first got stainless steel she'd stretch her body as far as she could to look at it without actually getting closer. lol ;) She was terrified of it.
Pretty much what happened this morning. I had a couple slinkys trying to get one piece of kibble at a time.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
If the bowl is shiny see if your OH (or you or anyone with tools or clever) can give it a brushed finish with a dremel or sander. Even a steel wool ball can work.
**** was scared to drink from his water bowl becasue he could see himself in it as he leaned in for a drink.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Huh, mine eat out of a steel bowl, I don't remember anyone having trouble or being scared of it. But the waterer with the bubbles, THAT'S another story. lol I actually have to have a regular bowl with water next to the big one for the three that refuse to drink out of the one that makes the scary noise.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Lion was really scared of his new ceramic bowls after we switched from stainless steel bowls... They are so funny.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Godric is afraid of his own shadow so he's no surprise but Gretel has never been afraid of anything much less a bowl. I'm sure they'll come around, i'll give them a treat later in the bowl, they'll eventually start realizing those bowls deliver goodies.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Tulula has always eaten out of stainless steel bowls, if I put food in a ceramic bowl she is very weary, Ted will eat food out of anything we have no fear of anything

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Do your dogs wear collars with tags? If so that might be why they don't like them; a lot of dogs are afraid of the sound of the metal tags clanging together against metal bowls... whereas with plastic they don't make the same kind of noise.

They look at it as a 'correction' since it startles them, and in turn they learn to avoid the bowls altogether lol. Then they assume their mommies and daddies are playing horribly mean tricks on them; by putting delicious things in the bowls to tempt them LOL.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nah, no collars here. They might die if I put a collar on them, neither have ever had one haha.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Willy became frightened of his blanket one night. I tried not to laugh at him, but it was really funny to see this Chi terrified of a baby blanket with ducks on it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Willy became frightened of his blanket one night. I tried not to laugh at him, but it was really funny to see this Chi terrified of a baby blanket with ducks on it.
rofl! They do the silliest things sometimes

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Gretel was not happy to be disturbed, but at least one of them has at least gotten on the new bed!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine will eat out of anything now since all of the bowls look different around here. The funny thing to me is that Neeci is afraid of the plastic stand that raises Bo's bowls off the ground. His bowls were on the ground until a few months ago and she had no problem drinking out of his water or eating his food. We get him the stand since he is a big dog and is getting older and now she won't drink out of the water anymore, even if the other bowl is empty she will run around and cry rather than stand up and drink out of his. All of the other chis will just stand up and get a drink but not Neeci. She will drink if you put the bowl out of the stand on to the floor but she won't drink while it is in the stand. They are funny little creatures.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
hey everyone I have a question what does OH stand for? I know DH is Darling Husband OH Old husband??

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
OH = other half.

DH = Dear/darling husband.

So yeah, OH is what unmarried folk like me use LOL.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts