Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my little boy who I named Atlán 3 or 4 days ago in Guadalajara, MX. He's long haired and when I first got him he was really shy, but he's coming out of his shell and is reeeaaallly attached to me and always follows me around and likes to be on me at all times. I actually force him to explore his environment more and try to ignore him a few hours a day so that he can learn about his world and play. He's about 3.5 months and 2.1lbs according to the vet I took him to yesterday.

Now- my main concern is about the Lepto/Coronavirus vaccination. I honestly had no clue how controversial it was and had the vet give it to Atlán yesterday. When I got home he started acting weird and was in pain all night. Today he seems to be doing better and is eating fine, but he seems kind of lethargic. What are some of your experiences with this vaccination? Have any of you given it to your chis and have they reacted negatively? I'm hoping most chis who are given this vaccination pull through without any ill effect (and the negative effects only affect the minority)- I'd hate to be the cause of something bad happening to him because of my ignorance. I think as a society in general we overmedicate and am more a naturalist. I should know better than to trust Mexican vets- they seem ill informed and just view animals as money. The vet I took him too also gave him a dewormer and wanted to give him his rabies, but I figured that would be too many drugs for such a little body so decided to hold off on it. Honestly, if I wasn't heading back to the States in mid January I would have waited a few more months- but all the legal BS requires him to be vaccinated for rabies a month before he enters the country and I sure am not leaving my hamsterdog behind.

Any input would be greatly appreciated- I'm so happy I found this forum. I spent hours reading it last night and have learned so much. I've always had dogs, but chis seem like they need a little more special care so it's a totally different ball game. I've attached a picture of Atlán- let me know what you think :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm sure he will be okay - yes it is controversial but the consequences of not having it could be worse.

24 hours of feeling poopy is about right and as long as he's eating it's okay.

Just keep and eye on them - beautiful Chi by the way!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aw thanks- it makes me feel better. I didn't really sleep last night because I was pretty worried, but he seems to be doing better. Just being overcautious I guess. Since I am always in the wilderness and around bodies of water I figured, "Why not?".....but if I had known the risks I would have thought about it some more. Ultimately it's probably the best decision just because of the environment the chi will be in. Thanks for your response :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
He should be okay. I have heard that the vaccination you are talking about is the vaccination that is most likely to cause adverse reactions such as hypersensitivity or an anaphylactic response. The vaccination can also cause chronic illnesses (immune-mediated illnesses). As you just got the vaccination the only type of illness that you can watch for at this stage is the hypersensitivity that typically will not be too big of a problem. Or an anaphylactic response, including itching, swelling, things of that nature. If you notice your pup seemingly having an allergic reaction, take him to the vet ASAP.

The chronic illnesses that can occur usually don't manifest themselves until many days later. You'll know because the dog will just be over all sickly. Possibly refusing food or water. You'll know when to take him to the vet.

Chihuahuas don't seem to be on the list of breeds that are particularly susceptible to adverse reactions from vaccines. I think he will be okay. Just make sure you watch him and take him to the vet need be.

He's a very very very adorable pup.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think that the 2nd shot may be the one that triggers the really bad reactions. The first one the body doesn't have the antigen/antibodies to react to. Be careful, and ask the vet maybe to give him a benedryl shot before hand. Sue

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'll keep my eye on him for the next week. Luckily, he's been getting better with every passing day and I'm hoping he won't suffer any ill effect. He does get his rabies shot in a few weeks and I'm not too thrilled with that. I'm hoping he doesn't feel too bad after it. I don't want to deal with this again- I hate to see him feel bad. I wish the vets down here were more knowledgable, but it seems like I'm the one that will be having to do the research beforehand and informing the vets so they don't potentially hurt him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts