Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am new to this board. About 10 days ago i pickup up my new female chi females. They are now about 12 weeks old, and litter sisters. I love them to death they are the most adorable sweetest babies in the world. I got 2 because i work during the day and was scared if i just got 1 it may get scared or lonely. i keep them gated in my bathroom all day when i am not home and leave out food, water, toys, there crate which they love to sleep in and wee wee pads. When they are in the bathroom they go to the bathroom on the wee weepads but as soon as they get out they love to pee on the carpet. Also i am trying to teach them to sit and stay but having absolutely nooo luck at all. I try to pat the buts to sit but they just keep jumping up and trying to bite me. Any advise on how to try and train my 2 little babies. It seems twice as hard to train them because there is 2.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your new little babies! I bet you are having so much fun with them. To teach them to sit, use a treat, say sit, and then hold the treat above them and move the treat backwards. They should sit down as they lean back to get the treat. Does that make sense?

Again, WELCOME! :wave:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Boogaloo....yes i will try that. Do you think I should try training them one at a time? Maybe put one in the crate and take the other one out and train? The main problem is when i try to teach them to sit they think I am playing with them and start jumping on each other and jumping all over the place.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
If they are more concerned with playing with each other than listening to you, then yes you should start training them seperately. If the one that is put up is crying, it will distract the pup you are training so be sure you are far enough away that you can't hear the pup whining.

One trick you may want to also work on is "Looky". Have a piece of treat in your hand and say Look at me or Looky or whatever and bring the treat up to your nose/forehead area so the dog looks at you. When the dog makes eye contact, give them a treat. That way you can use that command to get their attention and follow it up with "Sit" :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Boogaloo I like your looky trick...I will have to teach that one to Gadget.. even though he looks at me when I say his name...

Chi mommy What ever treat that they like is the best. Are you giving them treats right now?

Good luck :) :)

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
That young they are probably don't have real good control over their bladders. They can't hold it long enough to go find the other pads in the bathroom.
Try putting a pad or 2 in the living room and any other room they spend a lot of time in.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
good advice from both of you.

i suggest training them seperatly and together. this way if trained seperate they have a more one on one learning session and you will be able to see who is catching on to what quicker and be able to build from what they know and work on what they don't. (make sense? i can't put words together today) then when they are together they can take cues from each other.

good luck :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts