Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin has OCD/social anxiety etc, he still lives with his parents (he's in mid 20's) and totally controls their life. He is addicted to dogs. In the past 5 years he's had a corgi, jack russel (my uncle gave them to free homes), then he got a $3000.00 russian imported English Bulldog, a chihuahua, a beagle, a puggle, and his latest is a miniature pinscher. When the 'puppiness' wears off my uncle brings them to us to adopt out, we've found good homes for the bulldog, the chi, the beagle and still have the puggle, not even a week after he brought in the puggle he bough the min pin, hasn't even had her a week or two and my cousin is already 'not' attached & can't bond to her (which is B.S. as she is a little lap dog, she whines/cries if she's not in your lap lol) and she's staying at our clinic/boarding facility until my uncle decides if he's going to try to sell her to recoup his $$$ paid, or let us adopt her on petfinder like we have the rest of them (he has gotten all these dogs except the bulldog from a petstore), the min pin is only like 12 weeks old and cute as a button. The problem is the dogs are socialized well but don't know the first thing about potty training, and all have been destructive chewers (don't get the proper guidance). We get them when they are about 8mos old usually. They are all hyper and not potty trained in the least bit which makes it hard for them to be adopted, it took us over 6 months to adopt the Beagle, the chi was about a month due to no potty training. Well anyways my Uncle brought the min pin down on Monday, well it's Wednesday and my cousin has a new dog, a Bulldog! I am so livid with my Uncle, I know he's trying to 'bribe' his son and make him happy and keep his wife happy, and took the one dog away from him for throwing a fit, but it just makes me sad for these dogs. Should add my cousin HATES my uncle for the longest time he wasn't even allowed in the same house/room as my cousin because it gave my cousin anxiety (he really needs mental help or a facility or something).

He has kept a Shih Tzu for about 2 years, but that's only because my Uncle wanted her as a family dog. She's really cute. Anyways just needing to vent, the sad part is my Uncle isn't doing too hot financially, owes a lot of debt with his business, yet is spending $400-$1000.00 per dog at the petstore. I told him he needs to foster puppies for rescues then by the time my cousin tires of them they will have been adopted to a good home already.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Yikes! I do not have any advice but it sounds really indulgent and border line insane!
I feel for you having to place these dogs all the time!
I hope he gets the help he needs soon.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Heather, what a mess. That is truly so sad. Some people don't have a clue what it takes to be a pet parent. They just "want." Too bad their wants consist of a live beating heart with feelings. I normally stay out of people’s business and let them handle their affairs as they see fit, but if it were something like that, I would have already gone hay wire on someone. It just isn't right. Since you guys end up with all the dogs, I think maybe a good talking to the parents is in order. Maybe your Dad can go to his Dad and let him know that this has gone on long enough. My neighbor is the World’s worst over getting dogs and keeping them for a few months, then finding some reason to get rid of them. They run around outside unattended, etc. I got so sick of seeing the dogs neglected, that I finally told her that the next time that I see one of them roaming the street that I was calling the Shelter. I told her that I wasn’t trying to be rude, but that the dog has feelings and needs, and that she is changing them out like underwear. I also got sick of having to treat them for fleas every month (and feed them). It was getting too expensive for me, and not my responsibility. Anyway, someone needs to put their foot down. If it indeed is an illness, being that the parents are still taking responsibility for the boy, they need to get him into counseling. By letting him continue the cycle, they are enabling him. I hope it all works out.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Oh, and people will find every excuse in the book when they decide they don't want the dog/pet for whatever reason. It's all poppy cock IMO. When I take a pet in my home, it's for life, regardless of the obstacles. I wouldn’t send back my child if he/she didn't turn out the way I expected. If they end up needing professional training, or whatever, that’s something that should be thought about before they take them in, not after. Burns me up!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
On my fathers side, his brothers and sisters are like that - One month they have one dog, the next they have another and the others gone (usually "Free to collecter" in the newspaper to the first person who says "Ill take it!")

I had to find a home for a Husky the other week that my cousin bought off a guy on the internet - He was told it was bad with children and other dogs, but of course my cousin ignored this and bought the dog anyway, and gave it away 2 weeks later after it bit his toddler!

Im just waiting on them to rehome the german shepherd they got last week now... :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts