Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cousin had adopted my chihuahua from me and was bred with her roomates chihuahua....anyhow she is moving and needed a home for Bailey for a while...of course i took her and her new babies in......we do plan on keeping one for ourselves...anyhow...we all were shocked that she gave birth to four healthy pups.....three girls and one boy.....all the same size, except for one which is a bit smaller...............anyhow my question is this....i know on average a chihuahua only has one or two pups so when they birth more, does it make the chihuahuas smaller?....and how can you tell if your pups will turn out to be toys or smaller than a toy? :?:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I am not a breeder but have heard that chihuahuas can often birth more than 1-2 pups. :) So I don't think the size of the litter would determine the size of the pups as adults, but again, I am not a breeder. :)

As for the toy sizes, that is not a real term for chihuahuas, just like teacup. Chihuahuas come in all shapes in sizes but are only grouped by their coats, long coat and smooth. You can check a size chart to see what size they might potentially be as adults but again each pup is different and may not follow the charts. :wink:

Welcome! :wave:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Chico was one of a litter of 3 pups and he weighs 8 lbs. his brother and sister were the same size as him when I got him, so I'm assuming they're around the same size as well, though i'm not positive because you won't know how big they are until they're full grown.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Allie had 4 puppies and they are all big scrappin' adults. The smallest is 10lbs. (shut up, i know they're obese) Anyway, litter size won't affect the outcome of dog size. I believe that's a genetic thing. You'd have to know parent size, grandparent size etc.. Still you won't know for awhile which one will be the biggest or smallest in a litter. Just remember that the littlest one sometimes has health defects,,,that's why he's little...

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree with jolie; it depends on the genetics involved as to which size the pups will be.

And as for you mentioning about some pups being smaller than a toy - this is not possible a chihuahua is categorized under the toy group of dogs meaning they are the smallest - you get smaller chihuahuas but their not called special names like pre-toy or teacup if you get what i mean?

Congrats on the pups - u will have to be posting some pics :D :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I didn't read your post entirely the first time... or I just didn't comprehend your question (don't worry, it happens to me all the time).

You can judge how big the pups will be full grown by the sizes of their parents. If the mother is about 5 lbs and the father is 4 lbs, it is likely (but not guaranteed) that the pups will be around 5-6 lbs when adults. But you don't really know until they get to be a few months old how things are really going to go. And even then, nothing is written in stone.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
puppies

That was what I was wondering?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
xx-nathalie-xx said:
hey i was wondering why you would get a new pup if you adopted your first one out ???

kisses nat
thats my girl, always asking what's on most peoples minds ;)

chiwi was the tiniest in the litter, she's the runt. there were 3 puppies altogether in the litter and she is 8 months old at 2.9 pounds.

another bitch at my breeders just had 4 or 5 (i forget i'm on puppy overload here lol) and 2 of them were itty bitty and the rest were on the larger side. so it's all about genetics not litter size.

·
Registered
683 Posts
i read it wrong i though you wrote tht u adopted ur cousins chi!

I agree why wld u want another chi when u adopted the one u had? Surely u adopted it because for example u didnt hav enough time to look after it or it fought with another chi u had or something - but i dont understand why you'd give one away to get another one.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
possibly the number will effect the size of the pups when they are first born, a singleton puppy can often get quite big because it has room to grow. But eventualy the sizes even out, it really depends on the size of teh other chis in the pedigree.
mia
x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts