Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I hope someone from UK will clear these things out for me :) . I have been reading some of your posts and I don't understand one thing. Some of you were explaining that dogs have a pedigree but not a KC one. What does that really mean. Here in Europe a dog either has a pedigree or it doesn't. We call it FCI pedigree (Federation Cynologique Internationale). If a dog doesn't have FCI papers it's not considered a pure breed, even if the dog looks 100% let's say a Chi. Also, that dog can never be shown or used for breeding (though some irrisponsible greedy people still do it and sell their puppies :x ). Basically a pedigree is only one, so I was confused that in UK and also in US you have more types of them. What is the difference??

Thanks! :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
basically the pedigree is like their family tree - it says who there parents and parents parents were and if any were champs etc , but this is just a piece of paper given to you from the breeder and they can be forged and altered , a KC is what you get from the English kennel club , the breeder has to register the litter of pups they are then kc registered and can be shown :wave:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So basically it's what I thought. The only legit pedigree is the one approved by KC or in our case FCI. This is actually the only guarantee that you're getting what you wanted. A healthy puppy that meets the standards and is in fact a pure Chihuahua. :) So any other pedigree is just something anyone can write. But there's one thing I can't understand as well...... I see many people selling non KC reg. puppies for 600GBP and more :shock: , which if you ask me is not normal. In Europe you get a lovely FCI reg. for that money.
Ozzy&Lily'sMom, thanks for your help :) . I know what a pedigree is though :D , just wasn't sure how you can have so many different clubs that register dogs (I always just knew KC one).
I still however don't understand breeders that say.... it is registered, but not KC. It either is or it isn't. No other way :? .

Christina

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
In America it's the AKC but there are others that people can get "registrations" from. Of course there are no guarantees that it's a purebered dog or much of anything else with these registration papers. However the public is gullible.

·
Registered
530 Posts
That's true for Chihuahuas, and most breeds but some breeds such as the blood hound are primarily registered under a different registry that's as old as AKC...I can't think of the name of it right now (its not CKC). ...they talked about the hound registry during Westminster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts