Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tick in the winter???

i was out all day as it was rainin allllll day so i left the furballs at home. im not sure when KC got this bug on her? i noticed it when she was all over greetin me with kisses

kisses for mommy

my poor KC! she has a red area after we took it out of her...it was already dead though and came out with a little bit of her fur. this reminds me of when Dex had 1 tick on him too but his was on his neck the other year!

she didnt mind it at all though and i had no idea of it! time to cuddle with the furballs more to inspect better~~ gosh! :foxes15:

p.s: as me and the mom was takin it out of her Dex was playin with a plush ball on the floor makin KC wiggle like crazy :albino: silly boy

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
aww. i love the kisses for mommy pic. its so cute :). ( i once found a tick on one of my girls too. i forgot now which girl it was... but i wasnt too happy at all !!! )

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aww. i love the kisses for mommy pic. its so cute :). ( i once found a tick on one of my girls too. i forgot now which girl it was... but i wasnt too happy at all !!! )
Hehehe thanks Elaine! Omg its do heartwrenchin to not be able to know if its a tick or,not! Dexters,was,clearly one as if was still alive lol -.- I think its a great experience tho for preparations of worst things if need be. Lol did u see the mini tiger skineez she brought with her on me? Hahahaha

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
One of my other dogs had one once. Yuk. I didn't know what to do, I know you aren't supposed to tug them if incase they leave their mouthparts behind and I read somewhere to hold a lighted cigarette next to them to make them let go.
1. I don't smoke
2. I didn't want to set fire to the dog
3. I didn't want to watch it either a) shrivel up or b) explode

In the end I smothered it in loads if dog shampoo so it couldn't breathe and then it fell off. Icky things

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Hehehe thanks Elaine! Omg its do heartwrenchin to not be able to know if its a tick or,not! Dexters,was,clearly one as if was still alive lol -.- I think its a great experience tho for preparations of worst things if need be. Lol did u see the mini tiger skineez she brought with her on me? Hahahaha
LOL, oh that is too cute that she brought the mini tiger skinneez with her. everything they do is so cute actually :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
My puggle has had two ticks. And we just found one recently too. I thought it was odd because it was so late in the season but I don't think it has been cold enough to completely kill them off. No snow.... Usually we have tons of snow. It is so devastating! I hate finding them. And Leo had a spot that was sore and scabbed over for multiple days.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Those darn ticks better stay off that sweet baby girl. She's too sweet to bite. <3

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of my other dogs had one once. Yuk. I didn't know what to do, I know you aren't supposed to tug them if incase they leave their mouthparts behind and I read somewhere to hold a lighted cigarette next to them to make them let go.
1. I don't smoke
2. I didn't want to set fire to the dog
3. I didn't want to watch it either a) shrivel up or b) explode

In the end I smothered it in loads if dog shampoo so it couldn't breathe and then it fell off. Icky things

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
LMAO! i was crackin up when i read the setting the dog on fire hahahaha! i always thought that was a really weird method too LMAO!

LOL, oh that is too cute that she brought the mini tiger skinneez with her. everything they do is so cute actually :D
hehehe! she was carryin her stuffy squirrel before too! :)

My puggle has had two ticks. And we just found one recently too. I thought it was odd because it was so late in the season but I don't think it has been cold enough to completely kill them off. No snow.... Usually we have tons of snow. It is so devastating! I hate finding them. And Leo had a spot that was sore and scabbed over for multiple days.
actually when i googled it says they do come out in the winter, the adults do...how scary is that! sigh i hate when theres a sore spot but i keep the first aid kit spray with me for dogs i got a petsmart one day

Those darn ticks better stay off that sweet baby girl. She's too sweet to bite. <3
hehehehe!!! thanks TLI lmao~~

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Little late on the uptake but I'm in grooming so ticks are a common occurrence.

The best way, IMO, to get them off is to use tweezers, forceps, or your hand to gently pinch the head. DO NOT pinch farther back. Begin tugging very, very gently and slowly. You want the mouthparts to come out with the whole tick and rough yanking can leave them embedded and cause an infection. You will often see the wiggly mouthparts if you inspect the tick after, or the scab will come off with it, which is what it attaches to, meaning you're safe.

Then flush them down the toilet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts