Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the difference between buying a KC registered Puppy and a non KC registered puppy? apart from the price of them of course. Is it always better to buy a kc registered puppy?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
KC Registered :

You can show
Higher priced, sometimes
an register a litter if you breed from them

Non- KC Registered

You can only show at companion level not KC classes
Usually lower priced

I dont know what else to add, just one thing, being KC Registered doesnt mean better quailty! Ive seen KC Dogs for sale on websites that are 9lbs or more. Its a personal choice i think

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Registering is only for showing and breeding purposes really it's meant to be proof of where your dog came from and that it's pure bred but with the way things are now days they get forged, and poorly bred puppy mill dogs still can be registered it's a shame really

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just wondering because i'm still looking for my forever Chi and there are a lot of puppies that are KC registered (and pricey) but i only want a Chi for a pet so me and my daughter can spoil her rotten lol so if your don't really need a KC registered puppy i can ask about lower prices

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really want a LC Female... has to be female seeing as all the stuff i bought for the other puppy i was going to get is female... but that turned out to be a scam :( (unless i have a boy in pink lol) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
187 Posts
The most important thing about KC registered dogs for me is that you can check online whether the parents are health tested, with non-KC dogs you have to take the breeders word they are. Also, if a dog if purebred and parents are KC reg (as often advertised) and the breeder has put something like "not KC reg as for pet homes only" this would raise serious alarm bells for me. The most common reasons for doing this is because the bitch is either too young or old to have the litter, or has had too many litters. In any case, I wouldnt want to support those type of breeders myself.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Not necessarily if I'm right it costs to register a litter and if they aren't keeping them for show or are just a byb they may choose not to register them. Some are registered but won't give papers so the new owners can't show them etc

Also if they breed smooth to long they can't be registered it doesn't mean they aren't pure bred they just can't be registered in the uk.

It wouldn't worry me if a litter wasn't registered if I just wanted a pet. Daisy isn't registered and she's all chihuahua

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Just because they are for pet homes isnt anything wrong. Most of the times, in my case, puppies are sold as pets, i do not wish them to be bred from and any of my dogs papers can be seen to prove ages, parents etc. This is when people jump to conclusions. Unless there is something seriously wrong!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not necessarily if I'm right it costs to register a litter and if they aren't keeping them for show or are just a byb they may choose not to register them. Some are registered but won't give papers so the new owners can't show them etc

Also if they breed smooth to long they can't be registered it doesn't mean they aren't pure bred they just can't be registered in the uk.

It wouldn't worry me if a litter wasn't registered if I just wanted a pet. Daisy isn't registered and she's all chihuahua
It only costs £12 to register a puppy, if people cant pay that out then they shouldnt be breeding them :rolleyes: And you can sell puppies with pedigrees endorsed so their pups cant be registered to avoid people buying them for breeding, and i cant imagine why anyone wouldnt want their pups shown :confused:

Breeding smooth to long is not allowed in the UK, therefore it shouldnt be done IMO. I see no reason for it to be done, if you want a long coated litter breed 2 long coats, same with smooth.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with non registered dogs, just that there is often a reason they arent registered that isnt necessarily what the buyers are told ;)

·
Registered
881 Posts
It only costs £12 to register a puppy, if people cant pay that out then they shouldnt be breeding them :rolleyes: And you can see puppies with pedigrees endorsed so their pups cant be registered to avoid people buying them for breeding, and i cant imagine why anyone wouldnt want their pups shown :confused:

Breeding smooth to long is not allowed in the UK, therefore it shouldnt be done IMO. I see no reason for it to be done, if you want a long coated litter breed 2 long coats, same with smooth.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with non registered dogs, just that there is often a reason they arent registered that isnt necessarily what the buyers are told ;)
I agree with everything you said! A long coat breed to a smooth coat will produce cross breeds at the end of the day no different to a pom cross long coat chi.
I personally wouldn't buy a pup from a breeder who didn't have the puppys kc reg. I like knowing that my dog is well breed and has no health problems. I know I sound like a hypocrite saying that because baby isn't registered but I have learnt my lesson after having nothing but problems with her, especially with her temperament.
Also the price of the pup all depends on where your looking. A byb is going to charge in to the 1000's for a pup because they breed for money or at least to cover there costs. But a show breeder will charge u a lot less for a pet quality pup as they breed to keep there dogs.
I would strongly advise you to stick with the kennel club :D xxx

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
and i cant imagine why anyone wouldnt want their pups shown :confused:
Maybe some people just want a pet and don't want the cost and work of showing.. its not easy.. it doesn't look to be easy and can be a hell of a lot of rejection if your dog isn't what the judges want on that day.

Yes i think that breeders should only breed to better the breed and show them etc etc.. but 2 champions may not produce any 'show quality' puppies so therefore you've got say 3 'pet quality' dogs from fab lines.. just not show worthy which therefore shouldnt be bred from and will be pets!! That should be the way it goes.. but it isn't unfortunately

And in the UK yes we 'can't breed sc to lc) but in America you can.. they aren't 'cross breeds' there so and im gonna play total devils advocate here would you import a dog from the US that could possibly (and i dunno obv i'm just throwing a cat amongst the pigeons) have the other coat type somewhere distant in its lines??

Im not being rude but as you've given such a strong opinion i thought i'd ask a question.

And Louise i totally agree with you - that show breeders generally do charge far less.. even for their pups that they are selling which are show quality appear a hell of a lot cheaper than some of those 'internet breeders'

·
Registered
187 Posts
Maybe some people just want a pet and don't want the cost and work of showing.. its not easy.. it doesn't look to be easy and can be a hell of a lot of rejection if your dog isn't what the judges want on that day.

Yes i think that breeders should only breed to better the breed and show them etc etc.. but 2 champions may not produce any 'show quality' puppies so therefore you've got say 3 'pet quality' dogs from fab lines.. just not show worthy which therefore shouldnt be bred from and will be pets!! That should be the way it goes.. but it isn't unfortunately

And in the UK yes we 'can't breed sc to lc) but in America you can.. they aren't 'cross breeds' there so and im gonna play total devils advocate here would you import a dog from the US that could possibly (and i dunno obv i'm just throwing a cat amongst the pigeons) have the other coat type somewhere distant in its lines??

Im not being rude but as you've given such a strong opinion i thought i'd ask a question.

And Louise i totally agree with you - that show breeders generally do charge far less.. even for their pups that they are selling which are show quality appear a hell of a lot cheaper than some of those 'internet breeders'

I wouldnt say i have given "such a strong opinion", I have given my opinion and the reasons for it :)

And i didnt say that people who buy a pup should show it, you said that breeders maybe wont give papers so that their pups cant be shown and my response was that i could not understand why they would not want that. Im not saying all owners should show, far from it. I think i mis-read or misunderstood your post there :D

And yes you can import a pup from america (or another country where the cross is allowed) and have a dog that will produce both coats in a "legal" KC litter. Thats a good thing IMO, doing things by the book but producing a mixed litter that is fully eligible for KC registration. If people want to produce a mixed litter I would suggest that is the way to do it :)

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Well Chiva, Hope is from American imported lines as well as from other parts of europe, NED & FR etc, she has such a smooth coat its like velvet, shes a Black smoothcoat. Tiny is a Chocolate Tri-colour, smoothcoat came from an ok breeder. I mated them and in April i delivered a litter of 7 puppies. If you've seen my pictures you'll know tht there are both long and short coats in it. I am not doing anything wrong its down to genes. I could "legally" KC them, but feel i couldnt because they are all going to have different coat lengths, genetics are a funny thing! Longcoats were no where near what i was expecting!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I havent seen those pictures, will have to have a look! Presumably Hope has long and smooth coats in her recent pedigree?

Btw, congrats on such a lovely sized litter!! Wow!

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Yes thats what im saying :) Hope is KC Registered and she obviously has long coats in her genes, possibly Tiny could too? It just depends on what the breeder has done as wat she does / doesnt want anyone to know about.

Thank you ! Its been a whole lot of work! Hopper is definately one of the best of the litter and so is Bo in my opinion, but everyone likes different aspects to a dog in this case Chihuahua! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts