Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the title really, what are the papers for and why is kc reg so important? I probably sound really dopey asking, but It all confuses me.
I'm not getting either with my boy when I get him, does that matter? I will love him just the same

·
Registered
62 Posts
The registration papers prove that your dog is actually from that breed and from those parents the breeders says it is.
(It is a guarantee to you that your chihuahua puppy doesn't grow out to be a 30kg knee height mutt (that is an example only))

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
The papers are only necessary if you want to breed and/or show the dog.
Pedigree puppies can be registered with the Kennel Club, which proves that their parents and ancestors were also pedigree dogs that were registered with the Kennel Club. It basically proves your puppy is purebred. (As long as the papers given actually refer to the puppy you have bought, it is still possible to scam people with supposedly registered pups that are in fact cross breeds.)
Being registered does not mean your puppy is well bred, healthy or show quality. The worst types of puppy farms will sell registered puppies because they fetch a higher price.
If your puppy has no papers does that mean he isn't purebred? Not necessarily. You can only register so many litters per bitch, and she has to be within the age restrictions and time limits. So a litter from an older bitch who has already had her quota of puppies, or a back to back mating, for example, cannot be registered no matter how well bred the parents. They are safeguards to prevent over breeding bitches and puppy farming.
The other reason a pup can be purebred but not eligible for registration is if they are a long coat/smooth coat cross. In the UK the two coats are seen as separate breeds, but a cross between the two will still be full Chi, just not eligible to be registered.
It is fair enough to ask why the litter isn't registered. If they are from unregistered parents bear in mind that they could be mixed with another breed at some point in their ancestry. A 3/4 bred Chi will look pretty much like a full Chi, especially as a baby puppy. Make sure you see the puppies with their mum and ask to see pics of the dad if he was an outside stud

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks wicked pixie. Great answer as always.
I am deffinatly not interested in breeding, and I have seen mum (long coat) and dad (short coat). They are the amply pets and this is their first littler.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are you getting pedigree papers....Wilson's family tree, as it were? Just because his parents are two different coats and therefore cannot have Kennel Club registered puppies doesn't stop the breeder from, say, photocopying the pedigrees of both parents so you could, if you wished, still trace Wilson's family tree via the internet :D

I'm addicted to family history and did my own back to 1665 and now working on my husband's and when I had my whippet Tina I managed to trace her family back 25 generations to the 1880's :eek:

It IS a rather obsessive, addictive hobby :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm going to go through the KC change of ownership process with my girl. But I tried doing it online but it wouldn't work!

But I'm still deciding which package to go for. As Gilly says, it would be interesting to see my girl's family tree!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts