Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Im wondering if anyone can help mia train keeks on how to greet visitors properly :) Whenever I go around keeks insists on peeing all over the show.

Maybe she just can't contain her excitement, she seems to manage to go in the right place for most of the day so why is it every time I go around I get peed on :lol:

With the chi only being 4 months old is this something which should go away soon or does she need some sort of training?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Hi Admin ( :wink: )

well what can I say, she is just so excited to see you, the same thing happens with lily when adam comes home from work he has to run straight into the garden as she pees every where aswell , I think it is something that they grow out of with age (lily is 9 months when does it stop)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
lol, (dont tell admin) but i trained keeks purposely to pee on him when he came round, hee hee.
I heard that it can be a sign of submission too, but i think you right clare that its just a puppy thing that happens when they r excited, as keeks isnt really a subissive dog, luckily i have a wooden laminate floor so there never much damage done, im very gladed that i decided against the beige carpet , since ive had keeks all my rugs r being temporarily stored in the shed, hopefully one day ill be able o have my rugs back lol
mia
x

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
lol.................same here Mia, god bless wooden floors although I did get a nice big shagpile rug from Ikea in the sale ( reduced from 170 to 60 ) pure wool and black so very easy to keep clean they keep bloody che=wing the twists of wool though.................strange dogs

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
if it is submissive peeing then correcting them I have read is wrong as they are embarassed as it is. You are suppose to ignore it. I think it's submissive and she may outgrow it as she gets older but kemo does it ocassionally when he is excited to see me too.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Try not paying attention to keeks when you first get home. Sometimes if you dont talk to them and make a big deal and let them calm down they will start to come out of it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
i know what to do admin...when keeks pees on you...give her a big hug and kiss for being the cutest chi ever

·
Registered
175 Posts
Punky is right in there with the rest of them.
I've been doing lots of reading and yep it is submissive urination and the Chis are noted for it. Sometimes they outgrow it but sometimes not :cry: . Anyway, the way to work with it is as you said don't pay attention to them at first. Come in to the room very low key and have everyone do the same. Don't bend down to them while they're in a squating position just ignore and walk away. When they're more calm then go to them as long as they're not squatting.
Punky didn't do this when we first brought her home at 10 weeks, she started about a month later. She's now 5 months and doesn't do it when I come in but she does when my husband comes home also!! (Is it the husbands?) Anyway it's really really difficult for me to ignore her when I come home 'cause I just wanna hug and squeeze her the moment I see her. But I do and it's working.
Does anyone have a baby that's outgrown it so we might have an age it might happen?

·
Registered
150 Posts
mine too..

:fart: My 1st Chi(Precious) did this also-dunno why either! And also a friend of mine has this standard poodle & she does it also. I think they just get excited & cannot contain themselves. I wouldn't fret over it much-just ignore it if ya' can!! :lol:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Ginger started to do that, but I started coming in from the back door and letting her out right away so she could pee and she hasent done that since.
Now my mother's dog (Lhasa mix) will pee everytime she see's my uncle. She is two years old and still does it!
Keeks is probably just being submissive to you, and in that case there isnt much you can do. By correcting Keeks you might be making the situation worse so my advise would be to ignore it and as Keeks gets older she might outgrow it. I usually hear about other people's dogs outgrowing such behavior by a year.
I just realized I pretty much repeated what everyone else has said...lol. At least we are all consistant :wink:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Olivia will wet the floor everytime unless I intentionally ignore her for a few minutes. Greeting her right away seems to trigger it. Ignoring her is hard, cause I am as excited to see her as she is to see me. But it works beautifully.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Does keeks pee when you walk in or when you bend to pick her up? I found that letting them come to you instead of bending down to pick up works wonders.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Thats funny that chis do it more with the men. Whenever Kiwi would see my husband she would submissive urinate but then she stopped and now she crabby crawls to him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts