Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lady is basically a treat free dog. I do give her carrots and occasionally small pieces of green beans. Pretty healthy stuff. She will be four years old tomorrow and is at an appropriate weight of 6lbs. As a new dog owner, treats just seem to part of owning a dog. Is there any healthy treat I could give her (other than veggies).....or am I better off just not starting this since she does not beg for treats/food.

PS- I would like to give her a birthday treat. ;)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Our boy was this way. Not interested in toys or treats. It seemed undog-like to me!

I'd not worry about offering treats if she does not care. Find out what her currency is and reward her that way-kisses, belly rubs, walks.

On special occasions we did give him meat. Chicken, turkey or even cheese. He did like those things.

So, maybe it is not fun treats but for her birthday she may enjoy some plain chicken or cheese. You can pretend it is a doggie birthday cake for her!

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Also I use Purebites freeze dried chicken for my kids and they love them. I use the chicken as my cat loves them too and he can only have Chicken.

PureBites - Home

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Treats are not necessary at all. Sure you can use them to help with training,
but praise goes a long way too. Little piece of raw or boiled turkey or cheese is
better than any store bought treat you can get, and your pup will enjoy it more.
What I do like to give once a week is a bully stick. Raw bones are fabulous as
well, especially for the teeth, gums and jaws, but I don't consider them treats.
If you really want to spoil your baby once in a blue moon, dehydrated liver
treats are scrumptious, never met a dog who did not like them. Don't feel bad
about not feeding treats to your dog, most important thing is a balanced healthy
diet. There are far too many overweight dogs, many would greatly benefit if
they cut out all the treats. This is corny, but my dogs' favorite treat is a long
walk! ;) We walk four times per day, for a daily total of 7 hours, you should see
their happy faces, no treat in the world could ever make them this happy.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby gets no treats at the moment. I am getting a dehydrator from my grandmother for a housewarming gift. I plan on making dehydrated liver treats for him. He is NOT very interested in food so treats do nothing for him. He is much more motivated by praise and love, many dogs are. Don't feel bad about not giving treats.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I am the guilty treat giver... I dont buy treats though..they seem gross to me.

I am on the verge of potty training so she gets a tiny bit of cheese when she goes on the pee pad. She expects it too...she runs to the refrigerator everytime we start having a party when she goes to the pad....she doesnt care about the party, she just wants to goodie! She can sit and wait when you tell her, I did this with treats.

I give her all sorts of different things as treats, boiled chicken, carrots, cheese, and these tiny cookies I make that she can eat. Not junk stuff though. She is normal weight, eats her food fine. She gets alot of praise but I am sure she prefers the treats!

I dont think either way is bad. Either you give or you dont. Its not a necessary thing...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Why change treat free? I wouldn't. Unfortunately, my Chis get small morsels of treats as bribery to go into their crates, and then the two who are not crated want treats as well. Yeah, I know, wish I hadn't gone down that path, but Mom needed some way to get out of the house to go to work.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I give Ote bits of dehydrated beef & liver (they call it "jerky" but it is NOT what people consider beef jerky will all those preservatives and fillers). I also give her duck feet, bully sticks, bull bladders, trachea chips, cottage cheese, and blended veggie cubes (I have recently started making these, blend carrots, broccoli and whatever else you want - fill ice cube tray - freeze - pop out & let dog enjoy!! Great for summer!!). My dog is at a very healthy weight, has a very muscular build and does not beg for treats - yet enjoys them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts