Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guiness has kennel cough.. his poor 11 week old body just takes every little cough, gag and hack. Still, he looks up at me with those darling green eyes and.. I swear he's smiling at me. (Crazy??)

Could anyone let me know how they delt with KC? Are there any remedies to help get him through it faster?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Really all you can do is wait it out. If you want u can go to the vet for some caugh meds but otherwise just keep your little one quiet...running around will make them caugh more.

Poor little chi :(

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Callie had that too and then gave it to Cody. They both were given an antibiotic. The vet said he could give me some cough med but it would have been just to make them more comfortable. I didn't get it because .... it's hard giving chis medicine. :shock: I think it took Callie about 2 weeks to get over it and Cody about a week.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re:

My roommates, who watched him today said they haven't heard him cough at all (and those who have heard it know you can't NOT hear them cough!!).. so hoping that's a good sign.. He's eating.. actually, pigging out so that's still good :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hello... I am new to this board, I have been reading threads for a while but just recently joined...I'll post pictures as soon as I find the cord for my camera :) .... my six month old chi, Charlie, was recently boarded for a week and came home with a cough... he had been vaccinated for bordetella so the vet wasn't sure if it was kennel cough or something else... she gave him an antibiotic and some cough suppresant. He got most of the antibiotic in him... some also ended up on the couch, the floor and my bed...he didn't like it!
Anyway its been over two weeks and he isn't acting sick anymore but he is still coughing occasionally (like I hear him about once a day..maybe less). Should I take him back to the vet or is he just taking longer to get better? Is it common for it to take a while? Never had a sick pup before.

Charlie gave whatever he had to my sister's chi, Gizmo, she took him to the vet and he hasn't coughed at all for a week but he never was as bad as Charlie.

Thanks,
Jessi

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
It probably is the kennel cough taking a little longer to go away.
If your not sure I would call the vet and explain to them what's going on and let them decide if you should take him in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts