Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so tomorrow my boy and I are going to get him a kennel for the crate training and for when traveling occurs, or when I'm just not home. I'm sure this has been posted before but I don't feel like looking through all the thread pages so sorry in advance :oops: I found this one when I was just looking over some today at Pet Supplies Plus and it's nice and sturdy but looks a tad small. I know big ones might allow the animal to feel like they can "go" in the kennel but I don't want Snap to feel cramped. Just wondering how I would know if Snap like's his kennel? Any tips for helping me find the right kennel would be much appreciated! Thanks, and sorry again if this has been posted a million times before :?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I didn't crate train him so I can't help... I made gadget a pen for at night and he had his potty pad and food/water and his bed and his toys in there.. when he got olde enough to climb steps I remade it and turned it into steps with high sides so he could get down to his potty pad on the floor and the secone step has his food/water on it and the top step is his bed and then he can step up to my bed... but he hardly uses it and it is coming out of our room this week... it will then be made into a traveling pen...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gadget's Mom said:
I didn't crate train him so I can't help... I made gadget a pen for at night and he had his potty pad and food/water and his bed and his toys in there.. when he got olde enough to climb steps I remade it and turned it into steps with high sides so he could get down to his potty pad on the floor and the secone step has his food/water on it and the top step is his bed and then he can step up to my bed... but he hardly uses it and it is coming out of our room this week... it will then be made into a traveling pen...
That's actually a cute idea^^ Is there a pad especially for pups to like pee on, lol. Thanks :wave:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=547&inm=1&N=2001+113496+113564

That is the crate I bought Zeus when we first got him. It was his safe haven for almost a year, but nowhe doesn't need it anymore. He prefers the top of the couch so he can watch the birds outside. Then he was 2.1# and he's now 10#. He's 1.5 years old now and we didn't use the crate until recently. The crate is now in my closet (I have a large walk-in closet) and it's now the "time out crate". Whenever he's bad, he goes in there for 10 minutes usually for getting ruffed up and nipping.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NoahFL said:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=547&inm=1&N=2001+113496+113564

That is the crate I bought Zeus when we first got him. It was his safe haven for almost a year, but nowhe doesn't need it anymore. He prefers the top of the couch so he can watch the birds outside. Then he was 2.1# and he's now 10#. He's 1.5 years old now and we didn't use the crate until recently. The crate is now in my closet (I have a large walk-in closet) and it's now the "time out crate". Whenever he's bad, he goes in there for 10 minutes usually for getting ruffed up and nipping.
That timeout thing sounds like a good idea^^ Thanks!! I saw one of those kennels at pet supplies plus yesterday and it looked nice! Well today at 3 we're going kennel shopping.

luv4mygirls: Thanks! I'll try and get one!!

:wave: :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do be careful with the time out crate. If you are going to be crate training your puppy to sleep and stay in the crate sometime you don't want the crate to become a "bad" place. By putting your dog in the crate for time outs the dog will soon learn to hate the crate and refuse to go in there to sleep or any other time because they will think they are being punished.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FCPeters831 said:
Do be careful with the time out crate. If you are going to be crate training your puppy to sleep and stay in the crate sometime you don't want the crate to become a "bad" place. By putting your dog in the crate for time outs the dog will soon learn to hate the crate and refuse to go in there to sleep or any other time because they will think they are being punished.
Oh, that's true too. I guess I'll just have to see how things go with Snap^^Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts