Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Sophie has this bad habit that I cannot seem to break...scarfing down her kibble as if she has never been fed before. I am unsure of what to do to solve this issue. I have tried many different types and sizes of food (right now the kibble bits are pea size) and I have even tried making my own homemade food but she still eats far too fast. I have tried adding water to the food and even tried using a "slow eater" bowl but she is still too too fast. Does anyone else have this problem? Or know how to solve it?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
have you tried on of those bowls that is sectioned or has a cone shape in the middle, it suppose to slow them down. My friend has to use this with her beagle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know she is eating to fast because she doesn't chew and inhales lots of air and then she gets really bad gas and her stomach makes noises. When we were last at the vet I was told that eventually it could lead to bloat. Recently she has been eating so fast that she has puked it back up right after eating. I have tried the cone bowls and the portions are already split into super small sections. She gets 1/16 of a cup 4 times daily. Is this something that I am just going to deal with or do you think she will figure out how to eat slower eventually?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I don't know, I had a cat that would do this, eat so fast and puke. She never did really figure it out to slow down,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I am going to try raising the bowl off the ground by a few inches...I read on google that it can sometimes help...hopefully :p

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Did the vet say her weight was OK? That she is getting enough food and it is not a matter of her needing more food? If that's not the case, is it practical for you to hand-feed her? I would feed her myself 2-3 kibbles at a time until I had fed her the whole 1/4 cup or whatever her portion for that meal is. Or sit by her bowl and put the 2-3 kibbles at a time in the bowl for her to eat until the whole portion for that meal was gone.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I would definitely feed her kibble soaked, and feed smaller more frequent meals. Bloat will be less of a risk if she is fed something other than kibble.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the vet said she was the ideal weight and she lives in a single dog home so I tried feeding her with her bowl on a few books and it did slow her down to the point where she was not gulping down air. If she goes back to eating quickly I will try hand feeding her. Thanks so much for your help everybody :)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I was going to suggest the same thing as Tina. Either feed her a piece at a time or drop a piece in her bowl. If you do hand feed her, put a few seconds between each piece. Angel is a gulper also. He gets 1/8 cup of kibble in the evening with a good amount of water. He is not as fast as he was a year ago! In the morning I give him Honest Kitchen and he seems to be okay with that. He still eats fast but because its almost like purée, I don't worry. You might want to try that.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Not sure what kind of kibble you're feeding, but you might want to look into feeding her a better quality food so she's more satisfied by getting the right amount of nutrition she needs. Don't know how old she is, but assuming she's still a pup, the amount of food you're feeding doesn't sound like enough not even for a normal size chi. She sounds like she's starving. Poor quality food will lead to stomach upset and bloat. They put filllers and artificial flavorings and sugar which can/will cause problems. Is this the only dog in the house? If so, why don't you leave food down for her and let her eat what she wants? I suggest this if we're talking about a pup or if it's not a pup & she's not overweight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
About a year ago when I got Sophie her owners had her on purina but as soon as I got her I changed her diet to Acana. I have tried leaving the food out in a bowl already but she would still go up to the bowl and eat what she wanted quickly. If she lived in a multiple dog household I would say that she feels as though she would not get her share of food. She lived in a household with 3 other large dogs before I got her so I am almost wondering if they were fighting over food and Sophie (being the smallest) probably lost. I am going to see if the bowl being raised off the ground continues to work because it has helped so far and I am going to continue moistening her food. Thanks everyone for your help

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
About a year ago when I got Sophie her owners had her on purina but as soon as I got her I changed her diet to Acana. I have tried leaving the food out in a bowl already but she would still go up to the bowl and eat what she wanted quickly. If she lived in a multiple dog household I would say that she feels as though she would not get her share of food. She lived in a household with 3 other large dogs before I got her so I am almost wondering if they were fighting over food and Sophie (being the smallest) probably lost. I am going to see if the bowl being raised off the ground continues to work because it has helped so far and I am going to continue moistening her food. Thanks everyone for your help
The Acana is a good kibble. I would still put water on it to give it moisture, especially since she is doing so well eating it elevated on the books (great job BTW!). I think this does stem from living in the home with the 3 other large dogs and being the smallest and coming out on the losing end of getting the food. It is something that imprints and is very hard for them to get over if ever without much working with them. Our Lacy was the runt of the litter and her littermates didn't let her get to the bowl. Her whole life she would run to the bowl, grab a kibble and run away to eat, and she had the whole bowl to herself. Even though we are a two dog household, the dogs are fed in two separate houses, so they don't have to fight over their food. This was just the way Lacy ate, and she never got over it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts