Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upset - my puppy Killer (1 yr.) had expensive surgery for luxating patella last Tuesday - I was allowed to take her home Wednesday evening with her new lampshade accessory. Wouldn't you know it -yesterday I called home at lunch and my son told me she had removed every one of her stitches - so back to the Vet we went. They had to re-stitch her leg and gave her an even bigger lampshade. Obviously the trauma of having to have her sewn back up was bad enough - but the Vet charged me again and I feel like they should have done it for free as they didn't put a big enough lampshade on her the first time. When I took her in they accused me of taking the lampshade off of her - when I told them I had not removed it since bringing her home even though they said I could if I was watching (just thought it better to let her become used to it). So they hand me the instructions to care for her with "DO NOT REMOVE COLLAR UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" underlined twice I said "I want to speak to the vet" please keep in mind that I didn't even have my puppy back at this point. So they sit me in an examining room and bring me Killer and I immediately notice a new larger lampshade on her. So I casually mention to the Vet assistant "this collar looks larger" and she said "we had to put a bigger one on her because she was licking her stitches with the old one", then I sheepishly apologized for asking to speak to vet and took my puppy home. Geesh how embarassing - still don't think they should have charged me. But my Puppy is home and doing as well as can be expected - so what the heck am I complaining about? Maybe it is the stress. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nat - I agree. I am constantly amazed at how much I love my two little Chi's. I get overly emotional about them (then again those could be hot flashes!). Thanks for the response & kisses.

Hugs!

Kim

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi there! Nothing wrong with being a little overprotective =) With the e-collars, it's hard to know exactly what the chi is going to do when it gets home. When we put on e-collars, we observe the animals for a few hours to make sure they can't put their nose past the end of the collar/take it off/lick areas they shouldn't be touching. When they get home, sometimes owners/owner's kids adjust the collar because it looks uncomfortable, or the dog is able to get out of it/move it somewhere where it decreases the usefulness of the collar. These instances aren't predictable, and if that happens, it's not the vet's fault, if it's anyone's it's your pups for being sneaky! :lol: It is just one of those things that we as owners need to take in stride, it's just one of the complications of post-op care, and everything is going well now so it's all good =) Now if they sent you home with NO e-collar, that would be a different story...

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
love

fabkab said:
Thanks Nat - I agree. I am constantly amazed at how much I love my two little Chi's. I get overly emotional about them (then again those could be hot flashes!). Thanks for the response & kisses.

Hugs!

Kim
me too!! i love them to death and i would kill for them if necessary :wink:

kisses nat

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Glad to hear your pup is home with you again, and don't worry, our chi's depend on us to stick up for them and to be protective of them (although sometimes they think they should protect us :roll: ). You are just being a good mommy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, obviously the collar did its job for the first 6 days - I think my lil Killer was feeling better and with all the exercising I have been doing to her leg was able to manipulate herself enough to where she could get to the stitches - It is a pain though that now we have to wait another 2 weeks to get the collar and stitches off - they will remove the collar when they take out the stitches won't they? Hope so as her new one is bigger than she is.

Kim

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
fabkab said:
Yes, obviously the collar did its job for the first 6 days - I think my lil Killer was feeling better and with all the exercising I have been doing to her leg was able to manipulate herself enough to where she could get to the stitches - It is a pain though that now we have to wait another 2 weeks to get the collar and stitches off - they will remove the collar when they take out the stitches won't they? Hope so as her new one is bigger than she is.

Kim
we sometimes tell clients to leave it on for another couple days, sometimes the site where the stitches were is a little itchy and to be on the safe side and to keep little tongues and teeth off of it the e-collar should stay off. but it's up to the owner to keep an eye out for signs that the animal is chewing/licking.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Glad to hear Killer is home and hopefully that will be the last of the upsets. It's amazing how far a chi can stretch it's neck out if they want to reach something !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts