Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, let me first off say I will NEVER EVER curse my Granny for all the bread making she did while I was growing up. It's HARD WORK!

Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday and here in the South they're wild about their Mardi Gras. Just a quick background The "king cake" takes its name from the biblical three kings. Catholic tradition states that their journey to Bethlehem took twelve days and that they arrived to honor the Christ Child on Epiphany.

I'm not particularly into it that way, but I LOVE history so this year i'm making my first King Cake :] It's a very laborous process as I don't have a mixer, or a breadmaker so I had to churn that baby out by hand. Mine is still proofing, but this is what a traditional Lousinana King Cake looks like

The decorations depend on the region it's made in, some do colored frosting, some do color sugar and tastes similar to a sticky bun, or a cinnamon roll.

Enjoy, wish I could send yall a slice! :]

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This one isn't really a cake to me though, it's a giant sticky bun!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I love King Cakes! We live up north though and they are simply NOT available. But when my fil was living he would send them to me every year from New Orleans; that's where he lived. :)

Nor do I believe it that way either because IMO Mardi Gras is a very pagan holiday, nothing Christian about it. I had never heard that story before. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
they were selling King Cake at one of the Bakerys here. i was so tempted to get one but was afraid i would eat too much of it. lol. i would love a piece right now with a cup of tea :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ROFL No I didn't hide a baby, it was just for my OH and I so I knew i'd end up baking the next one anyway!

I baked two small king cakes rather than a large one, they were still pretty big, but my oven decided to cook a little faster than usual (it's energy star blah blah so I have to adjust the temp) so they got a little bit crispier than I'd like a king cake, but good just the same, was delish in my coffee this morning.

Yeah, Mardi Gras is a wee bit on the pagan side, I think Catholics especially primarily celebrate things like today, Fat Tuesday, and Ash Wednesday more so than the 12 days leading up to.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Did you put the baby in yours? A law firm in New Orleans that my company does business with sends us a king cake every year. I got the baby one year! Personally, I don't think king cake is all that flavorful--I just like trying to find the baby.

(Guess I should read all the posts before I post!)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I was going to ask if you put the baby inside too! Hehehe. Around here, whoever finds the baby has to have the next party!! :)

Your king cake looks great! I want some! Waaaah! :(

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here it's that as well, they get to host the next party/bake the next cake.

It was an event that's for certain, I haven't decided what but i'll probably make something festive for Paddys Day too, I mean other than the obvious green beer I will most certainly be enjoying :D

Any suggestions?!

I didn't do anything festive for Valentines, but I did make black eyed peas and ham for new years with collard greens. Maybe that'll be my hobby this year, see if I can do something nice for each holiday.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Here it's that as well, they get to host the next party/bake the next cake.

It was an event that's for certain, I haven't decided what but i'll probably make something festive for Paddys Day too, I mean other than the obvious green beer I will most certainly be enjoying :D

Any suggestions?!

I didn't do anything festive for Valentines, but I did make black eyed peas and ham for new years with collard greens. Maybe that'll be my hobby this year, see if I can do something nice for each holiday.
Sounds fun!!! Have you seen that movie Julie and Julia? You could do what she did and start a blog :D

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds fun!!! Have you seen that movie Julie and Julia? You could do what she did and start a blog :D
Haha, yes i've seen Julie and Julia and here's my dilemma - i'm too damn lazy to start this blog. Everytime I get the gumption up to get going on one I get distracted etc. lol

My friend is blogging at the moment and I occassionally "guest blog" on hers but I really should get my act together and do one.

Gary says no baking tonight, but we'll see what he can do when he's not here :D

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Ohhh so pretty. I make a cake, vanilla similar to tres leches--on 6th January sometimes with a the baby inside.

On this past Tuesday we stopped off at a southern food restuarant and got a few ribs before Ash Wednesday- which is the hungriest day of the year :confused:. On any other day we'd take no notice of food, on Ash WEdnesday it is like a curse.

Please tell us how to make this King Cake--it is just gorgeous.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts