Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frasier seems to think he can fly. He jumps on high things like the couch or the lawn furniture on the patio. I am stunned that he can jump high enough to get on either.

I don't worry when he jumps off the couch because he's landing on the carpet. But, when he jumps on the patio furniture, he's landing on concrete when he comes back down. It doesn't seem to bother him; but terrifies me.

Is he going to hurt his legs jumping from high furniture and landing on concrete?

I don't have especially tall furniture. It's just that his legs seem so little for such jumps.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugghhhh! :(
I was afraid you'd say that.
I can't catch him in time to stop the jump. He's like an energizer bunny.
I suppose either the patio furniture has to go bye-bye or I need to surround it with thick rugs or mats.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
That is the worst thing you can do letting them jump off anything! It is difficult to catch them---I know. It can really mess up their knees! My Chloe has a bad knee because of jumping off the top of my sofa. :(

sandra

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Both of my dogs have bad knees because of jumping. All you can do is take measures to discourage them but you cannot stop them. Just when I think I have my room so they cannot jump on or off things they find something else or some other way....I just cant win.

Your doing fine. Just continue to try to stop them...but just know its near impossible.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I have a jumper on my hands too.

He can't jump on to things or off of them yet but when he is playing he jumps around like deer jumping over a fence. It is really cute now that he can only jump so high, but I do worry about him when he is bigger and starts jumping higher and higher...

thank god that we have mostly carpets in our house...

do you have a table on your patio that you could push the chairs under? That's what I do in the summer..

This year I have to watch him very carefully because we have a short wall outside and then a hill behind that.. I know he is going to want ot go up that hill and play around.. (the hill is where my bird watching stuff is... It is also where I have my rock garden and my flowers and plants) I know when I go out there to do all my gardening stuff then he will want to go up there with me and he wil be jumping up and down from that wall..

good luck with your lil jumper... :toothy4:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Little Bit loves to get on the couch. I was very worried she would hurt herself so my husband made a stool for her to use when she gets up on or off the couch. This way it is more like going up and down stairs.

My mom had a toy poodle a long time ago about 20 years. She died from jumping off a bed. :cry: It wasn't instant. The vet said she twisted her intestines or something like that in her tummy.

I try to take as many precautions as I can to prevent her from jumping on or off of furniture.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got rid of the patio furniture he likes to jump in that lands him back on the concrete when he comes down. I hated doing that but I love those cute little legs more. I still have a swing - he doesn't like it because it moves, so no worries there - and one chair that he will not jump in unless someone is sitting in it. So, problem solved and thanks for the warnings.

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts