Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long time no see!! Still think of you guys often, but barely have time to keep up with everything.

Ruby is great. she is 4 now! crazy.... She is still the apple of everyone's eye and is a good little girl. she's great with the kids I look after from time to time and loves to show off her toys. She's had some pretty bad tummy problems for a long time which left her sickly and lethargic and with diarrhea about once a fortnight. so frustrating. we tried her on all sorts of dry foods, and cut out all treats, but nothing ever worked. I wish we had the same variety here as you do in other places. My mum put her on a homemade diet. I still have my qualms about it, as I don't know how it's going to keep her teeth, but it seems to be working for her stomach so far.
She's getting lean ground beef, brown rice, beans, pumpkin and egg. if anyone has any advice, feel free to pipe up.
Trying to give her greenies/nutri-dents to keep her teeth healthy...

I'm busy busy. all but finished my graphic design degree and busy with my photography. Spent 6 weeks in southern California in may/june and just got back from spending 6 weeks in melbourne with one of my friends when she had newborn twins... I'm on flickr though, so if I don't get to pop in here as much as I'd like you can always catch me there.

one of my very favourite shots of her... her 'drowned rat' look :p

no more photos!...

I haven't taken any in the last few days coz I have a flu and an awful earache, but will try to get some new ones soon.

hope all is well with you all?!

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Peta *hugs* how could I forget Ruby, I've missed you around these parts nice too see miss Ruby again and hear all is good with you :)

Licks from Stitch, Zero and our newest addition Mai.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Ruby is beautiful. I love the wavy hair at her neck and chest.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Ruby is adorable!! Those pictures are so pretty of her.. she's such a good poser

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Ooo I didn't read about the stomach problems Zero has pretty bad tummy trouble, we switched him onto Orijen dog food, and he's not allowed any scraps and only certain treats mainly turkey based. Also I've found Pro-biotic yogurt helps, I also have pro-kolin (I'm sure they stock it in NZ) which helps his stomach out after he's ill.

·
Registered
305 Posts
She is BEAUTIFUL!! Her coat is so long and shiny!! Gotta love the drowned rat pic!! I get that look a lot too!!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Nice to see you back! Ruby is absolutely gorgeous, and your photos are amazing. :love5: Beau will be 4 soon too and I can't believe it...it's crazy how time flies!

Sorry to hear about Ruby's tummy problems. :( Regarding her diet though, I think your mom is probably on the right track with a home-prepared diet. I obviously don't know what underlying factors are causing her problems (has she been to the vet?), but in any case, a very simple, easly-digestable diet is going to be the best thing to allow her irritated gut to heal. If you are going to keep her on such a diet very long term, a consult with a canine nutritionist might be worth your while in order to be sure that she is getting a balanced diet with all the nutrients that she needs. Sabine Contreras or Monica Segal are two that I would recommend. (Monica Segal also has some booklets with diet recipes that you can purchase and download, and she also has a Yahoo Discussion Group that you could join free to get advice -- K9 Kitchen).

Along with homecooking, you might also consider adding a good probiotic supplement to her food.

And since you are concerned about her teeth...I still haven't tried their products yet myself (keep planning to), but I have heard good reports about Petzlife.

I hope she is feeling better soon...for both hers and your sake!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Seeing these pictures makes me want a long coat Chi even more. She is beautiful!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks so much for all the responses and the advice! some really helpful suggestions :) I will look into them and let you know how it goes!

lots of sweet new faces here too I see :)

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
OMG WELCOME BACK I made a post a while ago asking for you because I was so desperate to see pictures of the beautiful Ruby! I've missed you around these parts. Post more pictures soon pleaseeeeeee.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts