Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I posted that Koko started limping on his right hind leg. Yesterday we took him to the Vet and she found that he had Luxating Patella Bilateral ( which means both legs) but just the right hind leg is acting up. When we go for a one mile morning walks he doesn't skip or lift his leg. Only when he plays finch the toy,his leg gives out on him sometimes.

How many of you have that problem with your Chihuahuas. What are you doing for it. Before we got Koko we did know that much about the Chihuahua breed, breeder did not tell us. So now we have him and we will do our best to help him and give him what ever he needs. As all of you we love our dog.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
We discovered Mickey had LP shortly after we got him. Not sure about Piper. The first vet check the vet remarked how tight her patellas were. Two weeks later the same vet said she had LP. ???? She's never, ever limped so hoping she was right the first time.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I doubt that Piper has luxating patella/s. The vet could dislocate the patella easily, and she said "she has very tight patellas. They usually don't go bad in 2 weeks. As long as she is not in pain I wouldn't do anything. If Koko is in pain, then I'd see if swimming would help him tighten up the muscles.?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
The general advice with LP is to keep the dog lean and fit, so lots of safe exercise but avoid jumping so make ramps or stairs up to beds, sofas etc.
If it is bad then surgery is an option, but lots of Chis live quite happily with low grate LP.
Did the vet grade Kokos LP?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

The Vet said that Koko is in stage 1, so hopefully it won't get worse. Also he can not jump on our bed because it is too high. We have two couchs so we put a step stool in front of them so he uses that to jump up. As far as exercise we go for a 1 mile walk every morning, and he doesn't skip or lift his leg so I guess that's a good sign. We play finch but now we are playing much gently. Thanks for your concern.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Koko doesn't seem to be in any pain we are glad for that. But your advance is very good. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts