Chihuahua People Forum banner

Kong Kong, and more Kong...

3K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  Cooper 
#1 ·
Aha....now that I got your attention...

I know Kongs are great little things to keep your pup entertained bla bla bla...well what do you stuff yours with to keep him interested?

I put Kibble, his cookies all together in their...but he loses interest after 20 minutes or so...

I'm going to start training him to be home alone...without his basket, meaning free to roam...and I know Kongs are good to keep them occupied..

So any ideas or what you put in your kongs ...I would like to have a variety of them around so he can have a blast trying the different varieties of stuff in the kongs...

Oh and stuff that won't fall out so easily...lol...

:wave:

#3 ·
Ozzy&Lily'sMom said:
I know people who put cheese spread , ham and paenut butter in them , but Im always worried that it will make a mess of my floor so have never brought one lol :lol:
Me either, Clare. :? I have new carpet in all my bedrooms, so I try to be very careful not to let it get soiled. Even fussed at my youngest grand-daughter a few weeks ago for walking on the new carpet with her shoes on! :lol:

#4 ·
I have put cheese spread, peanut butter, treats and sometimes a piece of kibble in the cheese spread or peanut butter to make it stick better. I always make sure to clean them real good between times, as they can get nasty if you don't and I'm afraid of bacteria. Luckily, I don't have to be careful about carpets, I have all hard-wood floors.

#8 ·
Bosco and Lola will chew on their Kongs without anything even in them...but when I do put something inside one they LOVE it.

I bought some of that Kong stuffing...it was peanut-butter flavored and they really loved it. I have also bought those Pupperoni's and kind of wadded them up and stuck them in there. It takes them forever to get those out and keeps them occupied for quite a while.

#12 ·
He doesn't like peanut butter too much...but he does like cheese...I think I'll try one with cream cheese...or cheese mixed with his kibble..and the puperoni idea sounds good also...

Looks like momma is going shopping.... :D

Thanks for the ideas guys!!

#13 ·
xfayex said:
porshas_momma said:
:oops:I dont even know what a Kong is :shock:
me neither... :oops:
Here's a pic from Petsmart, just so you see what everyone is talking about. As you can see, they come in a variety of sizes but the shape is always the same, with the hole at one end larger than the other for stuffing purposes. The last time I was at Petco I noticed they now have kong fillers in a can (like Cheez Whiz). For some reason, I assumed they might be full of chemicals (maybe because Cheez Whiz is hardly "natural") but I didn't check. I gave away Lily's kong ages ago because she never had any interest in it.

#16 ·
goldie said:
I have one of these (the baby version in marbled blue) ready for my puppy... at what age to you start giving treats? And what treat is best to keep from upsetting their digestive system?
I started giving him some treats at 13 weeks...I gave him some milkbone puppy biscuits...I actually split one in half and split that in two...and gave a little bit in the morning and after dinner...he really didn't want treats when he was younger, he didn't knwo what to do with them! Oh and I don't give him those biscuits every day...

Now I give him biscuits from a natural dog bakery store I have in town...he loves those...other than that he doesn't get many treats....which is why I use the kong, I figure I can put stuff in their he doesn't get regularly and make it fun for him also....I have the marbeled puppy kong too...the red one is too hard for his teeth...I had the smallest size, but I recently bought the medium sized puppy kong as the little stinker was getting too good at getting stuff out of it!

#20 ·
After reading this, I stopped by Petsmart to buy one of these for Friday. I stuffed it with peanut butter treats and she stayed busy for at least an hour and a half. And when I went to pick it up and put it away for the evening, she quickly grabbed it and took it to the other room! I actually ate dinner uninterrupted last night. :)

#22 ·
Punky loves them! She has different sizes. I put Kong stuffer either liver, p-nut butter or cheese in the small hole (very little) and then Kong trail mix, some tiny, little biscuits and finally a larger biscuit or cookie sticking out the end. She will work it for over an hour. They have been proven to stop destructive behavior in dogs home alone.Sometimes I just put one big biscuit wedged in it or even only biscuits. My daughters dog stopped being excited by toys until she started using Kongs. They have all kinds of recipes on their website. www.kongcompany.com Click on the tip section.

#23 ·
punky said:
Punky loves them! She has different sizes. I put Kong stuffer either liver, p-nut butter or cheese in the small hole (very little) and then Kong trail mix, some tiny, little biscuits and finally a larger biscuit or cookie sticking out the end. She will work it for over an hour. They have been proven to stop destructive behavior in dogs home alone.Sometimes I just put one big biscuit wedged in it or even only biscuits. My daughters dog stopped being excited by toys until she started using Kongs. They have all kinds of recipes on their website. www.kongcompany.com Click on the tip section.
Forgot to mention it's important to reduce their food quantity accordingly on days you give them the treats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.