Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use Kongs for your dogs? What do you stuff them with? Just starting to use them again with Ziva needed stuff to keep her busy, and stuffed some with the premade and what a hit, both Zoey & Ziva went to town on them, going to stuff some with some ground hamburger and freeze them, thinking of doing this nightly then offering as their lunchtime snack/meal each day to keep them occupied whether I am at home or work. What do you put in your dogs kongs if you use them?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've used the ziggys (premade kong snack) and i've used the kong stuffin' I'm not a huge fan of either and I don't let them have it all in 1 sitting.

I'll be interested to see what others stuff with :]

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I got a small one for Jake and put organic peanut butter in it but I found he couldn't get it al out so it would just harden inside. Now if I give a Kong I only put the peanut butter around the top which is eaten in seconds. Doesn't keep him occupied for long...
Quite disappointed with it

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Mine all have Kongs, I like them but dont give them often, once a week at most, because I just pack em with treats. I just put a mix of different healthy treats with some of their kibble. I put some treats that are a little more difficult to get out, and cram one thats wide into the top so they have to work to get it out and get to the rest. I put a smear of peanut butter around the top too. Your idea of doing the meat and giving them one meal a day in it is a good one I think. Can Zoey get it all out? That would be my only concern, like Deme said they arent able to squeeze them as much as bigger dogs so soft stuff at the top is almost impossible to get out. If they can both get to it though Im sure theyd love it!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have one for Cici, and I'm the same I stuffed it with peanut butter, she had a good time but couldn't get it all out and there just so hard to clean!! she does just like bouncing it around though :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Pb mixed with yogurt, canned Ziwi, smashed bananas with pb/honey, sardines, ground whatever is on hand.. and I also freeze these before they get them so it's harder to get stuff out. I've even put their dinner in them and frozen it so they REALLY have to work to get their meals.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
But how do they get it all out, mine never do..

Deme x
Deme, mine had the same problem but - I've started taking hard kibble and sticking it in the bottom. I literally fill almost the entire bottom half with kibble, then stick the ziggy in - it sticks out about 1-2 inches so they don't have to work for the first part (though i've cut them in 1/2 before too) then I stick the PB tip on the sides and around the top. So they go bonkers for the PB, start chewing on the ziggy and work at it and by time they reach the middle he isn't too wild over the kibble since he's full from the other :] Usually keeps Godric busy for a good hour or so.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
That sounds like a great way of filling the kong though Jake would still find room for the kibble lol, I could do one for Jake and Red in place of there dinner..

Cheers

Deme x

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I used a kong for my last dog but not for Honey. I used to stuff it with fresh chicken and it worked a treat!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put a large hard biscuit in the top that was if she gets it out, she gets it out if not oh well. I have some with their premade and then one with ground turkey in it in the freezer. Zoey's not a 'huge' kong lover although if there is something 'really' yummy she really likes it. Before I've used, peanut butter, cream cheese, canned food, instant mashed potatoes mixed with a little canned food, canned cheese & whipping cream for special occassions. Ziva however needs things that 'stimulate' her and entertain her thinking so I pulled out their little kongs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts