Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm on a mommy forum, have been for almost a year, and I've come across 1 of the most annoying people on earth. She has an opinion about EVERYTHING and refuses to see your side. You're just a horrible parent if you don't see it her way..end of story. Well, there is a furbabies section to the forum (cause they need showing off too :) ). 1 other girl posted that her boxer rescue (she has only had him for a couple weeks I think) "attacked" her daughter. The daughter was just petting him and he freaked out. He didn't bite her or anything like that, just batted at her and then laid back down to resume letting her pet him. A few of the other mommies and myself thought he could have sore near where she was petting or he could have been having a dream and it spooked him. In either case, she should look into dominance training right away before he thinks this is something acceptable. Well, this mommy that always has an opinion mentioned the dog whisperer saying that she (the mom) should hold the dog down and let the children stand over him to show their dominance. I told her that wasn't the best idea because that would just show him that the mom is the leader of the pack and it would do nothing for the kids dominance as they were simply standing over him. Ya know? I advised her to try having the kids take a more dominant roll in his daily care (feeding/walking/commands), which is what I did with Dawn when Boss was snapping at her when he was eating. It worked for us with her. Then the mom with the opinions comes back with, "that's not how the cesar milan does it". Welp, guess what, I watch that show ALL THE TIME and I've never witnessed him holding a dog down to show dominance, ever. Have any of you? He doesn't even touch them really except that quick thing to snap them out of their growl/aggression. It just urks me so bad that she thinks she knows more about this than anyone else. And I'm not saying I know a ton about dog behavior, but dealing Boss's attitude for past months has really shown me what to do and what not to do.

I shouldn't let her annoy me like this, we got into a heated discussion about the Disney Princesses too lol. She was complaining that they sent a negative image to girls, that the princesses were told who to love and obeyed. When I told her Cinderella fell in love with Prince Charming at the ball she said, "Yes I'm sure they had many long talks about life, love, family, and politics during the dance at the ball." Lmao. Like my 6yr old daughter is even THINKING about that crap lol.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Oh my god, I could never do a Mommy forum. Sorry. Too many freak mom's out there. I would have to kill that girl. You are correct about the dominance thing. I am all about learning new things and other people's opinions but I hate "know it all's". We all have something new to learn, ya know? Just ignore her.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Caesar only uses a light push with the fingers mimicking teeth - sometimes he would use this to hold them for a moment - but never pins for a period of time to show dominance.

Some people think they know everything - and some people use forums to vent their elitist attitude - because in real life no one probably can stand them or give them the time of day!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I don't know much about Cesar Milan, but I've heard his techniques are wonderful. As far as you being a horrible parent because you don't do things her way, tell her to stick it where the Sun doesn't shine. We all do things differently, and none of it is necessarily right or wrong, it's just our way which we are entitled too. Everyone can learn, we learn new things everyday. If someone can back something they are telling you with lots of research, that's another story. But the way we choose to raise our kids and pets is our own business. I say when you start paying my bills you can have a say. :lol:

I wouldn't even give anyone an audience if they were arguing over something Disney. Good grief!

I have 3 girls, and know many parents who have "perfect" kids, "perfect" rules. And that's a joke too. :lol: I have one grown girl, and my youngest is 14, and I'm still learning. I'll be the first to say that my kids can be brats, and so can my pets. :lol: But find me one that can't, and I'll kiss a Monkey's A**.

When she starts with the nonsense, skip over her posts. :wink:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I have 3 girls, and know many parents who have "perfect" kids, "perfect" rules. And that's a joke too. :lol: I have one grown girl, and my youngest is 14, and I'm still learning. I'll be the first to say that my kids can be brats, and so can my pets. :lol: But find me one that can't, and I'll kiss a Monkey's A**.
Amen!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Caesar only uses a light push with the fingers mimicking teeth - sometimes he would use this to hold them for a moment - but never pins for a period of time to show dominance.

Some people think they know everything - and some people use forums to vent their elitist attitude - because in real life no one probably can stand them or give them the time of day!
That's what I thought. I've never seen him pin a dog down before. Ever. And I've been watching for a while now.

I believe I will just have to walk away from her posts when she starts spouting off about things she obviously knows little about. I think I give it too much energy.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I do remember seeing an episode where Milan held down a little dog until it stopped throwing a fit. I think it was a chihuahua or some other type of small dog. The owner and Milan were sitting on her couch and every time he would get close the little dog would snap. I believe I watched it on you tube. I don't know if you guys consider that to be holding a dog down?? He did not let him up until he was calm. I'm gonna go check you tube now to see if my memory is correct :)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Okay, it's on youtube just type in Cesar Milan Demon and it will come up. The chihuahua on there is a cutie, but what a little atittude. I'd take him! :) Milan is a great trainer!! :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
He does hold a dog down if it has attacked another dog. Those red zone cases too. When a dog attacks another dog he holds the attacking dog down and lets the attacked dog sniff them for dominance. I remember a basset hound that was attacking little dachunds, that he did this with.

Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DfgIKr33Qk

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
He does hold a dog down if it has attacked another dog. Those red zone cases too. When a dog attacks another dog he holds the attacking dog down and lets the attacked dog sniff them for dominance. I remember a basset hound that was attacking little dachunds, that he did this with.

Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DfgIKr33Qk
He is amazing - I actually love him!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, but that's not showing dominance of a human to the dog. It's letting the situation calm so that they can sniff the dog. This girl wants the mom to hold down her boxer and let the 4 kids stand over the dog. I don't think that's going to teach the dog that the kids are higher in the pack.

lol Julie. I like him and Victoria about the same. I use both training techniques with Boss.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I personally agree with the kids standing over the dog for dominance. But I think it is wrong to suggest it. Depending on the dog it could resist and bite the kids face off.
We held our kids and stood over the dog. Perhaps a safer option, but I still don't think it would be safe to suggest an it without a professional.

·
Registered
366 Posts
We worked with a professional and she had us all stand over the dog. Also move the dog out of our at way at lease three times a day. Thats what dogs do to each other. The dog being the bottom of the pack order, with the kids as pack leaders. We all needed to be above him in the pack order. It has worked for us.
But it is challenging the dog and the dog might resist and try to fight for dominance. Thats dangerous. I would work up to it with the things you suggested with feeding etc.
Suggest a professional. Would be horrible if the kids got hurt trying to challenge that dog.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have seen him hold dogs down for different reasons but I cant say for sure one was for dominance issues. Although I like to watch the show I do not agree with Cesar' training techniques;-) I also like Victoria but I dont agree with all of her techniques either. There are many different "Professionals" out there but they can have varying techniques that other "professionals" do or do not agree with. I find praise and reward or Nilf to work the best ;-) JMO:)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Is the forum Baby-gaga? Because there are some really mean and ignorant people on there. They love to cause drama, jus try to ignore them. But maybe they should watch more Cesar Millan...I prefer Victoria Stickwell more...she in on animal planet..the show "Its me or the Dog" She knows her stuff better than him in my eyes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts