Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little bit of an update on Lance. We went for his one week check at the vet and he has lost more weight. :confused: His weight loss would be considered as verging on emaciation now, he's that skinny.

The vet said that there was a slight improvement with the infection on his anus though, and he is no longer dehydrated, which is good. However, the weight loss is very concerning to us. :( He will only eat a little bit of food at a time and it's so frustrating because we just want him to stop losing weight.

The vet has decided to continue with another week of the Clavamox antibiotics and the antibiotic cream for his skin infection. He said that if he's not better by his next check-up in a week, that he'd like to do ultrasounds and x-rays. The vet thinks that him peeing outside the litter box is behavioural and isn't a medical issue, so we've begun using Feliway spray.

He mostly hides in our upstairs in a cat bed up there, but this morning he came down for quite awhile and is currently laying outside on our balcony. I'm hoping this is a sign of improvement! Just the other day, I bought some plastic mesh for the balcony railing so the cats can lounge out there on their own without escaping. Really hoping this boy starts to get better! He's really worrying us.

Here's a photo from this morning of just how skinny he is.

Lounging on the balcony.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Poor Lance! I hope you feel better soon and start eating to gain weight.

Oh Krystal he is beautiful! He looks like my very first cat/pet Tiger. I haven't had a cat for years but seeing your Lance brings back some great memories and some sad ones too but the good ones outweigh the bad. Thank you for sharing the picture and bringing back some good memories.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poor Lance. And poor you, I'm sure you are a wreck. He is in my thoughts. Hopefully, his venture downstairs is a good sign of things to come!

Fingers crossed for him!
Thanks Ash. Yeah, it's a little nerve wracking. Especially because normally I'll be skeptical of a vet's advice, but this time we've done every single thing they've told us to do, including feeding him some prescription diet because we're at a total loss of what's going on. He went back to hiding upstairs. Going to bring him some food and see if I can at least get him to eat some nutrical.

Poor Lance! I hope you feel better soon and start eating to gain weight.

Oh Krystal he is beautiful! He looks like my very first cat/pet Tiger. I haven't had a cat for years but seeing your Lance brings back some great memories and some sad ones too but the good ones outweigh the bad. Thank you for sharing the picture and bringing back some good memories.
He is a pretty kitty! We have his brother too and they both have very nice markings and beautiful eyes. His brother has a couple of pounds to lose... wish he could just give some to Lance! haha

I'm kind of fearing the worst and think that there is something more serious going on with him, but really hoping it's just a stubborn infection or he needs a tooth pulled or something. Thanks!

Awww poor lance kitty. I hope he gets better soon.
Me too. Anytime he wants to start getting better would be great!

I hope he gets better soon. I will be thinking of him.
Thanks for thinking of him. It seems that whatever is going on is pretty stubborn.

Aww hope your ok and hope Lance gets better soon. Pets are such a worry when they're ill. How long has he been ill for? Xx
Thank you. It is such a worry. I wish he could just tell me what's going on! We've been seeing a vet since the beginning of April if I remember correctly, which is when he started peeing outside the litter box. Next visit it will be 6 times he's been there in 2 months!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Could be the antibiotics are upsetting his tummy making him not want to eat. Have you tried probiotics like maybe a little plain yogurt? Not sure if it helps with cats but it sure helps my kids! Good luck!

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE! Back from the vet again. The good news is that the infection on his anus has almost completely cleared up! We are going to continue with the antibiotic cream and the vet thinks the infection there will be totally gone in a few days. The other good news is that since we started using the Feliway spray, he's stopped peeing outside the litter box! :cat:

The bad news is that he has lost even more weight. When we originally took him in, he weighed 4.89 kg and he's now down to 3.38 kg. This poor cat just can't catch a break. The infection in his mouth is still present and the vet thinks that with the antibiotics we were giving him that we were just keeping it at bay. He was on an "overall" antibiotic since we didn't know exactly where the infection was originating from. We're now switching to an antibiotic that targets the bacteria that's present in the mouth, which will be more effective.

He's scheduled to go in for a dental cleaning tomorrow. The vet thought he needed one anyway but wanted to wait until his other issues had cleared up. He thinks that the infection won't get better until they get in there and clean out all the junk and possibly pull one tooth.

We're going to syringe him some water and give him some nutrical throughout today and hopefully get some calories into him before he has to fast for his surgery. Here's hoping that this dental is the answer!

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Poor guy I hope he improves more. Must be hard watching your cat not get better :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thanks. It is hard. Just hoping that this will do the trick and we'll see some weight gain at least.

I am so glad he is slowly getting better! Hopefully the dental tomorrow helps a lot and he can begin to gain weight.

Thank you! Yes, I'm very glad that at least one of the infection sites is almost healed. It at least shows that he can get better. I just saw him eating Odie's watered kibble! Bizarre. We just let him go to town since we just want him to eat anything on his own. We picked up some Whiskas in gravy to try to give him later. Hopefully he won't be able to resist the junk food!

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could be the antibiotics are upsetting his tummy making him not want to eat. Have you tried probiotics like maybe a little plain yogurt? Not sure if it helps with cats but it sure helps my kids! Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion Erin. I was hesitant to give him any yogurt before because he's not eating and I didn't want it to fill him up. After the dental I plan on giving him some every other day to help since he'll be on another week of drugs.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Oh poor Lance :( Sending lots of positive and healing thoughts to you and Lance, Krystal. I'm glad the infection is clearing up, but he is so terribly skinny, I can't imagine how worried you've been! Hope he's making a turn around!

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yay! Lance is back from the vet and is doing well. The tooth they were suspicious of did end up to be abscessed and they pulled it. The vet thinks the tooth was likely the root of all his issues.

My husband picked Lance up while I was at work and said as soon as his carrier was open, he ran to the food dish like he was starving. It might just be the pain meds he's on, but he is acting really normal (for his sketchy self) and doing things we haven't seen him do in a long time.

Going to keep an eye on him but it feels like things might actually start to improve! Thanks to everyone for your support and well wishes. Hopefully I won't have any more Lance posts anytime soon.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Yay! Lance is back from the vet and is doing well. The tooth they were suspicious of did end up to be abscessed and they pulled it. The vet thinks the tooth was likely the root of all his issues.

My husband picked Lance up while I was at work and said as soon as his carrier was open, he ran to the food dish like he was starving. It might just be the pain meds he's on, but he is acting really normal (for his sketchy self) and doing things we haven't seen him do in a long time.

Going to keep an eye on him but it feels like things might actually start to improve! Thanks to everyone for your support and well wishes. Hopefully I won't have any more Lance posts anytime soon.

Awesome news!!!!! I'm so happy that Lance is doing well!!

Sent from Petguide.com App

1 - 20 of 98 Posts