Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Axle has so many extra teeth now. He is 7 months next week and has only just started getting his big boy teeth. His lip is sitting funny on one side because he has 2 teeth where 1 should be be. I'm trying to give him a bone a day (and then lots of egg so he doesn't get all bound up) so all the chewing helps dislodge them but I was wondering what else other people have given their dogs while teething? He is obsessed with cardboard tubes (toilet paper and kitchen towel) but I don't think they're solid enough to do much. My husband has banned bully sticks from the house because of the smell and the chicken jerky I have for them as a recreational chew only lasts about 5 mins. so I need to find something else.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Other than bones and bullies, these chew toys helped Chanel A LOT, they are pretty durable. Some are meant for big dogs, but little Chanel has no trouble.

(this is her #1 teething toy, it's a miracle worker)
Nylabone Durable Dental Dinosaur Dog Chews | PetEdge.com

(this one is second best imo, everyone should have one of these)
Nylabone Galileo Bones Dog Chews | PetEdge.com

Kong Extreme Dog Toys | PetEdge.com

Nylabone Puppy Teething Rings | PetEdge.com

Nylabone Dura Chew Rings --Dog Dental Chews | PetEdge.com

As you might know I rescue, we often get pups, I have tried everything on the market and these are extremely great toys, honest.

Oh and play lots of tug of war, it'll yank those loose puppy teeth right out!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do the nylabones have any flavour to them? Ax isn't really interested in anything without flavour except for cardboard (except his Ted but he just carries Ted around, he doesn't really chew him much). The kong didn't go down that well with him, even when I put peanut butter in it. He does love the rope toy so I will encourage he and Chloe to play with that. He never wants to play with me anymore :( If I throw him a toy he brings it back to Chloe to play with now, mummy is strictly for cuddles and food!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
The last link I posted, that toy is flavored, chicken I think.

If he won't play tug with you with toys, try using a sock.
For some reason even the pickiest dogs love socks.
Just move it around left and right, make silly sounds
and see if he wants to play. Why is it do you think
he does not want to play with you anymore?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He and Chloe are just stuck together like glue 24/7. You can't do anything with one without the other sticking their nose in and then it just turns into those two playing together. I also think its part of his teenage bratty behaviour, trying to be a bit more independent.

This is how they spend most of their day

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Oh my goodness, they are precious!
And it's true, we do have the same floors you & I!!! :p

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Your wall color is awesome, I can't tell is it paint or wallpaper?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, the're adorable together - That's what I call puppy love!

The wall is really cool, it's textured paint with a bit of a sparkle/pearl to it in kind of a latte colour. It's just the one wall in our open plan lounge/dining/kitchen area, the rest are off white but it's the same colour as all the cabinets which also have a bit of shimmer to them too - i'm probably not making it sound very nice but it is really.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
No actually you are making it sound so nice that I want to wake up hubby and
make him paint!!! We are planning on painting this summer, I just can't decide
on a color.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since you have mostly off white and chocolate brown like me a latte colour would be perfect. We had a wet cement colour (medium grey with a hint of olive green) in our last house that was beautiful and we mixed this with the latte to section off the different zones of our open plan space. I like darker colours but it really depends how much light comes into your home, both this one and our last had a lot of floor to ceiling windows so we got away with it.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
At our old place we had light latte walls, but this place is smaller so I'm nervous
a darker color will make it look even tinier. We do get a lot of sunlight, luckily.
I was thinking maybe an extremely light, almost white grey color, I have a lot
of stainless appliances and accessories, so it should look good...problem is I hate
grey,lol. Ahh decisions decisions! lol

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
ps: I'm sorry I feel like I'm hijacking your thread! :oops:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's so hard to find the right off white! I have had them turn out too blue and too yellow - yuk! My HG one is Antique White USA by Dulux, not sure if you have it in Canada. It's perfect, not too stark but not too far from white.

Don't worry about hijacking the thread - I love talking about interiors. I need to get around to finishing off my place. We did heaps when we first moved in and then kind of fell in a heap with exhaustion and havn't done anything for months.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Are you planning on neutering Axle? If so, have the vet remove the baby teeth at his neuter. Easy. :)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I thought he was neutered at 5 months....maybe I'm thinking of another pup, not sure.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Rico was nuetered at 5 months..the vet did not take out his teeth because he was sure that nature would take it's course, etc...haha !! I di manage to get the two upper extra cainines out at around 10 months...lots of playing tugg with a rope toy--hint if he is really only motivated by taste put some chicken broth on it. the bottom two are going to have to come out surgically in the future--he is almost four and they are still there--I have tried everything :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He was already neutered at 5 months - I was determined not to have any leg lifting in the house! I thought I saw him do it once in the park and I booked him in the next day. Just in the nick of time as he doesn't lift his leg now. He had no adult teeth at the time though, so thats the disadvantage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts