Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is very interesting & scary! But just wanted to make everyone aware of this. My own cat Munchie had an adverse reaction to his microchip, his body rejected it about a year after implantation, it abscessed, festered and popped out of a hole. The company gave us a 'free' microchip to re-implant but to date, I haven't chipped him again, I don't want him to have to go through that again. It's a tough one, as I know a dog who was reunited with it's owner almost 4 years after she went missing because of a microchip...basically a case where Animal Control saw the dog get out of a yard, impounded it, and was confirming the owners information, and it was not the people who had the dog. I work for the vet who chipped the dog and when her name "Shellie" came up as the chip owner (yes that's who my golden is named after), I got chills down my spine as I knew that she had been missing for a long long time.....so this will be a very tough decision. In the 20+ years I've worked for a vet Munchie has been the only cat/animal I've seen a problem with.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 13, 2010

MERCK SUED: HomeAgain® PET CHIP IMPLICATED IN CANCER
New website, ChipMeNot.com, features details on cancer case and other
adverse reactions

Online at: Merck Sued: HomeAgain® Pet Chip Implicated in Cancer
and chipmenot.com.

Nashua, NH -- Pharmaceutical giant Merck & Co. has been served with a
lawsuit over claims its HomeAgain® pet microchip induced cancer in a
cat. Animal rights attorney Steven Wise seeks "reasonable compensatory
damages" for a malignant tumor "likely" induced by a HomeAgain® ID chip
implanted in his client's cat, Bulkin.

The complaint, "Andrea Rutherford v. Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. and
Digital Angel, Inc." (case # 1052CV1147) was filed last week in
Cambridge (MA) District Court. The complaint named implant maker Digital
Angel Corporation as a co-defendant.

"Based on the alarming number of microchip-linked cancers we're
discovering, I predict this lawsuit will be just the tip of the
iceberg," said Dr. Katherine Albrecht, a consumer advocate and expert on
adverse reactions associated with implantable microchips.

Bulkin's case is featured at chipmenot.com, a new website launched
by Albrecht's consumer group CASPIAN to bring attention to the plight of
animals who have developed cancer and other adverse reactions from ID
microchips. Albrecht documents several of these cases in
"Microchip-Induced Tumors in Laboratory Rodents and Dogs: A Review of
the Literature 1990–2006," a peer-reviewed academic paper she presented
at a June conference of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics
Engineers devoted to concerns about implantable microchips.

Albrecht's paper and a copy of the complaint are also posted
at chipmenot.com. The site, co-developed with graduate intern Lidiya
Prorochuk, spotlights a growing number of adverse reactions to
microchips, including the chip-related cancer deaths of two dogs within
the past year. The site also features a form where pet owners can report
adverse microchip reactions, since there is currently no official
registry in the US to collect such data.

"Merck and organizations that advocate pet chipping should take this
lawsuit seriously and start warning pet owners of the risk of
microchip-induced cancer," Albrecht advised. "As Andrea Rutherford and
other pet owners can tell you, it's not a statistic when it's your pet."

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I suppose it's a choice we all have to make. Personally mine will always be chipped I just don't trust people if my girls get loose some how which they wouldn't!!

I assume the risks are low if they are not seen often altho I do know there was an article here where an owner took her dog abroad and obv chipped etc then when she was coming home they scanned te dog and the chip no longer worked so the dog was left in quarantine in a foreign country for 6 months til they let it come back into the uk... Think I'll get my vet to scan mine everytime I go lol

The articles very interesting especially as its only likely it was causes by the chip

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
OMG thats the microchip company
I was going with if I had Dahlia chipped
at the time of her spay! Now Im glad I
didnt have it done!! :O

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know tough choice, as of date most of my animals are chipped, I have 2 cats and 1 dog who aren't right now but I will probably chip them as it scares me not to. I know some of the cases on that chipmenot site the microchip was actually inside the tumors that were removed.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh that's just pants really!! Makes you wonder but I'm seeing it like the percentage is tiny and that is better than my constant paranoia

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We don't chip. We live in a very small/quiet town & everyone knows who the crazy Chi lady is around here. :roll: That is very scary though yet it doesn't suprise me in the least bit. I know the chip has reunited many MANY animals which is wonderful...but it's just another one of those "just in case" things that could possibly harm your pet. For me the decision was easy. But had I lived in a busy neiborhood or a place where Chi's were that valuable...I can't say my decision would be as easy or even the same as what it was when I decided not to chip my Chi's.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I would love to have my chi chipped but she's with me 24/7 & I think doing too much to keep our little guys safe is sometimes more harmful than the risks. I am not against anyone that chips their pet because it's such a controversial subject & I always love happy endings when a chipped animal is reunited with its owner. Very interesting report that answers many of the concerns I've always had for chipping an animal.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Scary. And that is the chip that Brody has. No adverse reactions yet and he's had it a year and a half. It hasn't migrated either. I can feel it under his skin. UGH.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ziva was microchipped before we got her, she has a homeagain but we are going to have to remove it when she's spayed, the idiots either injected it into her armpit or it migrated there, every time I pick her up she screams if I hit it just right so I know it's causing her pain. :-(

·
Registered
912 Posts
Oh wow. Lo has this chip... She had it implanted during her spay almost 5 years ago, and I can't feel it anymore, but she's a little pudgy too at the moment... I'm going to take her with me next time we visit the vet to make sure it still scans...

Cheetah, I assume it's necessary for the dog to be under anesthesia for a removal, which is why you're doing Ziva's during her spay, correct? I'm lost as to leave it since we haven't seen any problems arise in 5years, but I don't want to take the chance of it turning into something later! :(

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think chips are great. But honestly after Bryco's has moved, I'm sort of skeptical. All mine have ones from Petlink/ResQ chips. I'm so mad his migrated though, its basically under his arm now. And he's always itched at where it was, like it bothered him. It stinks because in order for his health testing as a show pup/potential breeder, he needs to have permanent ID. We most likely are getting him tattooed as well, although I am still researching that process. For my other 3 dogs, 0 problems whatsoever. TBH I think they screwed up on Bryco's chip, it was never as far under the skin as my other 3.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My dad and I were talking about this yesterday as I mentioned how Lily had a soft tissue sarcoma and the Dr mentioned possible Vaccine sarcoma, in his 40 years he's never seen one, he said he thinks it has to do with the technique maybe some people get too deep and it goes between the skin tissue cells when vaccinating. He said that he's seen a lot of Homeagain microchips migrate, he doesn't think they have very good 'gripper's on their chips. I know a lot of rescue people who get really worried about chipping as there are cases where you can paralyze them if you go too deep & hit the spine (had a rescue due that way back when), so they just barely put them under the skin which isn't deep enough for them to get a 'good' hold on it.

Yes the microchip will have to be removed under anesthesia, if I wasn't having her spayed we'd just do it, but I don't want to have her put out twice if I can avoid it, but the skin/tissue around the microchip will have to be cut out :-( to get it out. Although he thinks as loose as it feels it might just be barely under the skin but we'll find out.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes the microchip will have to be removed under anesthesia, if I wasn't having her spayed we'd just do it, but I don't want to have her put out twice if I can avoid it, but the skin/tissue around the microchip will have to be cut out :-( to get it out. Although he thinks as loose as it feels it might just be barely under the skin but we'll find out.
So if you weren't having her spayed, you would still have her's removed? Obviously I need to have Lo seen to figure out where her's is to see if there is anything abnormal before going that route, but I feel like I would know if there was a lump forming around it, no matter where the chip ended up.

Tracy, what is your plan with Brody? Are you going to let it stay unless something arises?

Honestly, I'm kinda freaking out here... Hubby too...

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So if you weren't having her spayed, you would still have her's removed? Obviously I need to have Lo seen to figure out where her's is to see if there is anything abnormal before going that route, but I feel like I would know if there was a lump forming around it, no matter where the chip ended up.

Tracy, what is your plan with Brody? Are you going to let it stay unless something arises?

Honestly, I'm kinda freaking out here... Hubby too...
The reason why I am having hers removed is because it is loose and digging into her armpit area every time I pick her up causing her pain. If this wasn't the case I would let it stay. As I said, I have worked for a vet for 20+ years and we've microchipped thousands of dogs/cats/ferrets etc, Munchie my 3 year old cat is the 1st cat/dog I've ever seen personally with a problem from it. I would not panic but keep an eye on the chips, I have 5 cats, 3 are chipped, 1 with homeagain, all of my dogs are microchipped. Unless it's causing a problem I think removing it is more invasive than letting them stay. The incidence of problems is rare considering how many millions of pets are & have been microchipped. Especially considering how many dogs/cats have been reunited with their owners due to a microchip.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Alright, that makes me feel a little better. I just feel like I'm in a moral dilemma... Put her through surgery to take it out and risk all of those side effects/ the procedure itself, or sit on my butt and watch to see if she gets cancer from it... Loose/loose situation it feels like.
I suppose, like you said, the incident rate is extremely low as of now, so part of me is feeling like the risks of something developing are less than the risks of something happening to her for removal.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
argh, now i'm regretting my decision to get her chipped. :(
If I were you, I would make a daily (okay, maybe every other day. I'm just being crazy right now ;)) habit of locating the chip and making sure it feels "normal", whatever normal is for her. Early detection is going to be the key in our cases, and you're much better off at least knowing where her's is. haha. :):)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts