Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Lexi gets her last injection today, so I am training her to use her lead a bit more when we're in the garden in preperation for walking on streets/in parks.

She just hates it, I've tried to intice her to come to me and follow me with little treats but she just yanks on it and keeps running in front of me.

I really want her to walk nicely on a lead and not keep on yanking on it and whining :roll:
But she's really being so difficult, I've tried just letting the lead trail after her which she doesn't mind but as soon as I pick it up and start walking with her she just flips out.

What do I do?! Help!!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i would go for a harness !!! my dogs don't like collars either and it's not very good for their sensitive trachea's ....
try every day for a few minutes at a time...and she will get used to it in no time :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I agree with Nat , try a harness will be much better for her :)
& like Nat said give her time , I think it took my boy about 2 months to really want to go for a walk ..

:wave:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips guys, I have tried her harness as well as her lightweight collar and she hates both lol.

So i'll just keep trying her on the harness every day and hopefully she'll calm down.

:wave:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
vienna freaks out when i put something on her :roll: , but just keep persisting ...first just one minute ...then two ....then 5 ....and you will see she gets used to it in no time !!!
your lexi is just like my vienna :D i said it a couple of times before ...haven't i :D when i see her videos it's like seeing vienna , so energetic and crazy :D

when you overdo the leash in the beginning it's hard for them to like it so ;.....build it up very slowly :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Your baby is so cute! She does remind me of Nat's little Vienna. I agree withthe others, just do it very slowly. My Bruiser used to freak out when we put his collar or Harness on him (still hates it) :roll: I would leave it on him for 15mintues everyday, untill he became used to it. He is a terrible "pouter" :wink:

sandra
www.chloescustomharness.com

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
my only thoughts are when you pic up the lead make sure you are very light and leave it very loose just to build up with! It will take time - my deano is 2 and he doesnt really like going for a walk, he just likes to pee on everything! and stop and stall! you have to be very patient!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She *does* look a lot like Vienna!
Lexi's patches are darker just now, but maybe she'll lighten as she gets older like a lot of Chi's seem to.

Tried her again today on the lead and she was a bit better with it. But still tuggy now and then!
I'll just keep trying it a bit every day and hopefully she'll be a polite girl on the streets soon! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts