Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stella has always had a habit of pulling on the leash. I would love for her to just walk on a loose leash beside me... How do you correct something like that?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,776 Posts
You need to teach the command "heel." She needs to be walked on a short leash right next to you until she is reliably walking beside you. It may take days or weeks or months. Whenever she tries to pull, keep the leash short to force her to walk next to you and say heel. When she does it, reward or praise her. Soon, she will heel whenever you tell her to. And eventually, she will do it all on her own. I'd suggest walking her a lot so she gets used to it- make it part of the routine. It took Toby about 2 months to get reliable at heel. Now, I can use a retractable leash and he walks right beside me on the sidewalk except when he wants to potty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,206 Posts
I have the opposite problem. Gemma is always walking behind me and pulling backwards from time to time, lol.

Hope you are able to correct this!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Haru used to do that too. I tugged back at her a bit, and say heel. I have a really long leesh but I started off letting her have very little distance. I tried that "turn back and walk the opposite way" trick but I feel like sometimes getting your pup to adjust to you is not all about "professional methods".

Now, I can take Haru on walks without a leesh, but always making sure she is around since I am now dragging a 40lb husky around too. She always follows, and comes to me when she sees me walking off without her. The only time she won't come is when she is doing her business. I didn't do anything special, just did it the way I think was logical. Good luck! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,968 Posts
An easy way to teach Stella what Heel means in the first instance, is to leash her up in the house and walk a few steps up to a wall! Just a plain old wall or closed door (this is so she has no other option but to be by your side on her leash) - say Heel and treat her (or praise if you dont do treat training).
Once youve done this a few times, she should know that heel means to be by your side. Then take it outside, again up to a wall, then just on normal walks.
I trained Honey doing this and she will walk by my side on a loose lead 90% of the time - the other 10% she just wants to march off in front to sniff something, but a little tug onto her harness and the word Heel brings her back in line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,287 Posts
How old is your pup? I couldn't Angel to walk good on a leash until he was almost a year old. I have recently started using a choke chain on him, but I am going to switch to the half check collar. It's a martingale type collar. If I use that, he doesn't sweep the gound for "goodies" to eat and I can keep him close to me. But you don't want to use that type of collar without having been to some kind of puppy training class so they can demonstrate how it is used.

I like the idea of practicing heel to a wall!! I'm going to have to try that. He will heel, but not consistently.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions!

I really like the idea of using the wall! I'll definitely try that.

She's a year and a half. I got her when she was around 8 months - she had no previous training with it. I'm still new to training and I have a bad habit of letting her get away with things while walking...
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top