Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its been so hard for me to get Mia to walk on a leash.
it seems like she should start walking places.
but... i have been trying and trying.
do you guys have any suggestions?
or how long did it take you guys to get your dogs to walk on a leash?

·
Registered
127 Posts
It seemed like to took Snickers forever. It took a lot of patience and treats to lure him. It took no less than a month for him to get the hang of it.

Reeses just went with the flow. I put the leash on her and she walked. That was strange to me.

Keep trying. Let her walk around with the leash on without you holding it. It takes patience and time. She will eventually get the hang of it.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
She's probably overwhelmed if you're taking her out the front door. If you have a back yard where there aren't as many distractions, I'd get her used to it there first. I walked Cooper in the yard every time he went outside to do his business then slowly began taking him out front to the mailbox and around the front yard. Eventually, the "bigness" of the world didn't frighten him and he was off, walking like a pro.

Another tip: trainers suggest leaving a short leash (4') on the dog while you're at home to get them used to it. Just let them drag it around with them. Of course, you want to watch them and make sure they don't hang themselves or anything like that.

Also, it depends on what kind of collar/harness and leash you're using. I've noticed a lot of people in the forum like harnesses for their Chis - I personally don't like them at all. I use a no-slip collar on Cooper which is similar to a choke chain in construction without the harshness of the chain. With a harness, you can't really "control" where the dog is looking or headed since you don't have control of their head.

If you slide the collar up towards the top of the neck (much like the leads they use in dog shows), you may be able to get her to respond more since her nose won't be on the ground.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
jamoka had the same issues.b/c i held him EVERYWHERE i went and ALLDAY! so i went to a trainer and he said (and it worked) it took about 2 months to get him fully walking by him self.but he still will ONLY walk with me. so you should let other people do it too, so he won't think just your the leash holder.

1.put a leash on her for a few days call her name ,you know make her follow you then pick up the lech and walk soem more,then put it down then repeat

a 2nd thing he told me was:

in the house get a lech and make her walk with you every where.

with jamoka he didn't like to follow me in the kicthen b/c of the floor, so i would just walk around and then make my walk to the door,
i opened the back door and just walked out and he didn't relize i was outside and was walking fine but when he did he'd stop and cry. so i stopped for the day. i hope this works for you

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Put the leash on her and let it drag behind her on the floor or ground.. she will get used to it... If it has a big clip on it it might be scaring her.. I know I have a leash that has a big clip on it and Gadget hates it.. but The ones that have the small clips or the plastic clips he has no problem with them. I have one of those retractable leashes..

Good luck and God bless

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
jennabennabebe said:
i heard you should always use a harness with chihuahuas though, because their necks are very delicate so you shouldnt put it around there colar.
I've heard that as well. It's mainly so the dog won't get hurt if you're yanking on the leash or dragging him behind you though; if the dog is walking with you and you're not having to pull on the leash, there's really no problem.

Additionally, trainers will tell you that when you are leash training a dog, the harness won't really work if the dog doesn't want to walk because you have no control over the dog's movements.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
this is true.. collars are made because they could cause the tracelia<SP> to collapse. Harnesses are better because there is now stress on the neck...

I have never used a collar on Gadget for walking on a leash and he walks perfectly on a leash..

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I agree with all that has been said. With Poppy we let her get used to a little harness for afew days, wearing it round the house.Then we got a slim lead and let her drag it around with her for another day or two.Eventually it became the norm for her and we just picked up the lead and went for a walk.It does take some of them time to adjust, but be patient and let her take her time, dont pull her along.....good luck! :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I think in the end, it comes down to personal preference and what works for your dog. If your dog will walk with a harness and both you and your dog like the harness, that's great - my dog and I prefer the collar.

The same thing can be said for leashes. I will not put one of those "extendable" leashes on Cooper's collar. You know the ones where you hold the plastic thing and the dog can run out as far as 18 feet or whatever - you can lock it and "reel" them back in, etc. My vet told me a story about how an owner brought his dog in after using one of those leashes - somehow, the dog's leash became tangled with another dog's leash - there was a giant knot of leash circling around and during the whole mess, the owner's leg was cut open by the cord from the leash and the dog's head was almost decapitated (the dog was fine, only some minor injuries). I won't put Cooper on one of those things now. Plus, he's trained to heel and he can't heel if he's got free reign.

But, again, it's personal preference. If that kind of leash works for you and your dog, then go for it.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I know that there are situations that can be bad by using the retracable leashes. You have to be very careful... The reason i use one is because I have to keep Gadget on a leash at all times other than him being in his fenced in yard. I like to let him run around in the field and he can only do so on his leash.. soI let his leash all the way out and lock it and he loves running around... I am always cautious about the leash...

any leash, collar, or harness can bbe dangerous when not used properly...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I agree, Dori, any of them can be dangerous if not used properly. I use a harness for Jasmine because this is what my vet recommends for any small breed, and Jasmine does fine with it. I don't leave a harness or collar on her in the house though unless I'm home to watch her. I'm afraid she might get it caught on something and choke.

I have a retractable leash, but I seldom use it as I prefer a regular leash. It's mostly a matter of personal preference I think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.