Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I was sitting outside on the phone, and my husband had just taken Cricket in. I looked up, and this guy was walking with his lab, but the lab wasn't on a leash. We are in a city, and Cricket isn't other dog friendly. I looked around to make sure Cricket was in, and yelled at the guy, "Hey is that your dog?" He looked at me, and kept on walking. Then after he passed my house called the dog to him. It made me so mad. Cricket would've tried to bite it. I am so glad my husband took her inside before I saw them. Its just if I have to walk my dog on a leash, so do other people. If not for the protection of others, but for the protection of their pet.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Oh, I hear you. Gemma is starting to show a bit of aggressive behavior around other dogs... and I think it's because their owners keep letting them just BOLT up to her and jump all over her, so she gets scared. Two days ago when we took Gemma out for her walk, the apartment neighbor came out right after us with 4 Japanese Chins and an American Bulldog. One of the Chins wasn't leashed and he came FLYING at me and Gemma. He was jumping all over me and Gemma and getting in her face, and she finally just bit him. She didn't do him any harm because she didn't even notice it happened, but she had a mouth full of his fur after, lol... I don't want her to become aggressive around other dogs, but people need to friggen control their animals. Gemma is brand new at socializing with dogs, and having them run up to her unleashed and getting all in her face is NOT the way to introduce her to being around other dogs. I was pretty pissed off to say the least. The woman just thought it was cute. She didn't even come over and get her dog either. She just watched the whole thing go down. I was on the ground trying to push the dog back from Gemma a little but not pick Gemma up because I didn't want to baby her, but he was relentless and kept lunging at her so she finally bit him.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Leashing your dog is the best thing you can do for your dog and every other dog, for exactly the reasons you described. If your dog is a bit aggressive, you need to have control. If another dog is aggressive or overly friendly, you need to be able to remove your dog from a potentially overwhelming situation.

Toby, for instance, is overly friendly. He has no "off button." He just wants to play and doesn't take other dogs cues. On walks, I allow him to greet other dogs in a controlled way and if I see him overwhelming them, I remove him. That is what a responsible pet parent does- controls their dog.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Leashing your dog is the best thing you can do for your dog and every other dog, for exactly the reasons you described. If your dog is a bit aggressive, you need to have control. If another dog is aggressive or overly friendly, you need to be able to remove your dog from a potentially overwhelming situation.

Toby, for instance, is overly friendly. He has no "off button." He just wants to play and doesn't take other dogs cues. On walks, I allow him to greet other dogs in a controlled way and if I see him overwhelming them, I remove him. That is what a responsible pet parent does- controls their dog.
Exactly. The dog Gemma encountered was definitely overly friendly. He had no intention of harming Gemma, he was just super excited and eager to get to know her. He wasn't picking up on Gemma's standoffish signs at all, and the owner just watched as he was trying to basically tackle Gemma. Such an irresponsible owner!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
You also never know if these animals have ever been vaccinated one lady admitted to my mom her off leash dog was not vaccinated when it ran up to ninja. Ninja doesnt get anymore vaccines due to severe life threatening reactions we don't walk near other animals to be safe even though he should be immune to them as he's had the initial ones.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Caitlin you were lucky that dog was overly friendly. If he had bit back, he could have seriously hurt her! That's what I mean. Cricket will bite, and be aggressive. Even with an overly friendly dog. She doesn't understand. At 5 you would think she would be socialized, but they never did. So now I have to, and its hard with no other dogs around her size. If she bites, and hurts a dog bigger than her, then they bite back, they could really hurt her, if not kill her.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Caitlin you were lucky that dog was overly friendly. If he had bit back, he could have seriously hurt her! That's what I mean. Cricket will bite, and be aggressive. Even with an overly friendly dog. She doesn't understand. At 5 you would think she would be socialized, but they never did. So now I have to, and its hard with no other dogs around her size. If she bites, and hurts a dog bigger than her, then they bite back, they could really hurt her, if not kill her.
So true. As soon as she bit him I grabbed her in my arms and really started pushing the dog away. I didn't want him to turn aggressive on her after she snapped at him, but he seemed to not even notice. It was just so ridiculous that the owner was just standing back not doing anything.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand that feeling. Gemma is so small her mouth probably only got fur though lol! But seriously. It ticks me off. We have a fenced in front yard, but I don't close it during the day cause my husband and his job, but I'm really close to considering it now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I know what you mean! I can't take Carlos walking in my neighborhood because people let there dogs run around loose. It makes me so mad. He is the smallest dog around and I have tried just putting him on his leash and walking him to get the mail and the neighbor's dogs just rush across the street at him. It isn't fair that they let them just run around when I keep my mine in fenced yard.. I have 3 huge obnoxious dogs next door too, that practically come over the fence when I take him out back too! I stand right there by him and it still makes me so nervous!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that fear too Teresa. Cricket would be potty pad trained if we didn't have a gate separating the front yard from the back. There are chows (one of them Oreo's dad), labs, and other large dogs running around here too without an owner.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I see this kind of thing all the time, recently on walks with Bijou I see it almost once each trip we take to the park. Bijou is a polite dog he walks nicely on leash does not pull jump or anything he just trots along. He also doe not really pay attention to other dogs, he does not seem to care, but I swear you should see some of these dogs! pulling.. barking jumping at him the owners have NO control over their dog.. totally disgusting.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's infuriating! "Oh no, he stays right by me"... meanwhile the dog is running in the middle of a busy street.
I know exactly what you mean. Now I had an old country dog. She didn't have to be on a leash because it was just us and some property, but then we moved to the city. She did stay by my side, but she stayed by my side in the back yard. This lab was all trying to sniff in my front yard. It made me mad because I asked that guy, and he just looked at me and just walked away. GRRRRRR some people are so stupid!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Honey has got a lot of fear aggression going on at the minute - i am trying to help her through it by treating her whenever we see another dog/or walking the other way if the dog is too big! We have had so many walks ruined lately by other dogs who just come running up to her - she gets so scared and trys to slip out of her harness and run away, all the while screaming, yelping and lunging at them!
The other dogs owners say 'its ok, my dog wont hurt her' - well try telling that to Honey! They can see how distressed she is surely?? I ask them to call their dog to them and i swear they just look at me like i'm mad!

·
Registered
236 Posts
In my opinion I think all dogs should be leashed but I do have one who will still pull towards and bark at other dogs even on a leash.
If any dog is on a leash, whether it is pulling and yapping on or not, it is therefore 'controlled' as it cannot get to other dogs so saying they are not controlled is actually wrong! Unless of course it is a huge dane with a 'vetically challenged' owner. It may look bad but they are on a leash afterall.

I do agree with some of your points as I have both problems, a tiny dog who is afraid and the min pin who will lunge and bark, so I see it from both sides.
All my dogs however are always on a leash unless in my enclosed garden. They are never allowed to approach another dog without a controlled environment.

If Cricket were in your yard then that is a little different but if your yard is open, without fences, then in my opinion she should be on a leash when out there if she would go from your yard to bite another dog. It's not always easy to stop a little tyke before they are off the property and going for other dogs! If she were to go and bite a dog, on a leash, that was being walked past your property then it wouldn't be the other owners fault if their dog retaliated.

I'm not against what you're saying I just wanted the 'other side' to be heard.

My worst experience of dogs off leashes was a few months ago when a big labrador came upto my gate barking aggressively, before I could get out there to stop my 'terror' of a min pin barking back, the lab had almost dragged my min pin through my 4 ft wrought iron gate and almost broke his back leg. Although my min pin, and the others to be honest, were going nuts at the gate on this occassion it was most certainly the labradors owner at fault as his dog was on a childrens park without a leash on and not under control at all.

·
Registered
236 Posts
One thing that really 'boils my water' are owners who see you with a big dog, showing dog aggresson, who is muzzled and on a harness and leash and they still let their dogs run upto your dog.

This happened to me when I'd rescued a mollosser breed a few years ago, she was very dog aggressive, walked with a muzzle and a halti along with a harness and strong collar so that she could not possibly pull me over. She never pulled towards them though, she was sly, she used to wait for them to get close enough!
It was always little dogs that were allowed to run up with their owners, as has been said, telling me that their dog was friendly......what part of 'muzzle/halti and harness' did they not understand!
When you say to this type of owner...."He may well be but unless you want your dog eaten I'd get it on a leash"........it's always you that are in the wrong!

As I say I've been on both sides of this debate so many times as I've rescued and owned so many different breeds/sizes of dogs over the year.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Whenever we go to the camp grounds,everyone is suppose to have their pets on a leash,but alot of them don't listen!and if they do have them on a leash,it's a long retractable one and they will still let them run up to your pets face.Mine are not used to be swooped over by others dogs!!People think its funny.Ours attract attention because their are 5 of them.Maggie and Molly ride in a stroller,Minnie and Maisey,walk on a leash and baby Missy ,we have just recenly leash trained her,so I guess we look different.Usually people have just 1.And let me add,IT MAKES ME EXTREMELY MAD WHEN LET THEIR KIDS WALK BY AND START BARKING LIKE MAD DOGS AT OUR BABIES!!!!now that boils me up!!!And the parents will stand right there and not open their mouths!!!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It really bugs me too. A major problem in the towns in the UK is teenagers and young men walking their dogs (usually Staffie types) without a lead. Its like its some kind of macho thing!:rolleyes:
It makes you scared to walk down the street sometimes. My lot are always on lead where legally required and react badly to off lead dogs coz they are petrefied. Its all very well someone telling you the big bully breed thundering towards your dogs is friendly but it doesnt leave you time to ask how friendly it will be after your dogs have tried to attack it out of pure terror!:( It annoys me coz it makes my dogs look bad as well...when it fact if they met the same dog in the park and everyone was off lead they would be quite happy to say hello and be friendly, its just being trapped and forced to confront another dog they hate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.