Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else leave their babies a long time??
Im feeling abit guilty about mine as I think I might be losing my dog sitter (she is a friend who has become a source of frustration and more of a toxic influence:(). At the mo she has the dogs 2 nights from 7pm til about 1 am, then they are alone from 1am til 8.30am. Without her I would have to leave them from 7pm til 8.30am...
I know they would be fine as they dont suffer SA and are left in the kitchen with water, puppy pads and access to a small run, also they have each other for company. I cant help concentrating on the 2 nights Im not with them rather then the 7 days and 5 nights I am!!:(

Am I being a bad dog owner for thinking of leaving them this long or am I just feeling guilty??

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My girls are left for a long time each day. It would seem that I am vastly in the minority on this forum in that regard. I figure that they have the reverse life of some dogs. They are without us during the day (but they keep each other great company) but once we are home, they are with us until we leave the next day. They are not crated in the evenings or night.
We are homebodies on the weekend and plan things around the girls so they are not left then except church and grocery store.
My husband and I are both fortunate to work for (him 27 years, me, 25 years) a major corporation. We have careers, not jobs that can just be quit because we wish to have companion dogs in our lives.
I would not tell a young person they were cruel or could not have children because they choose a career as well and the child was in daycare.
As a result of our working, we can afford exceptional nutrition, medical care and in-home pet sitting. Someday soon, our careers will afford us a nice retirement and our girls will reap the benefit again of our having worked.

eta: Our girls have a very nice little set up when we are gone. They are not in individual crates. They are in 2 play yards. They have rubber/foam textured floors, multiple beds, a ridiculous number of blankets, toys, potty pads and water bowls. They have plenty of room to play and rest (which is what they do when we are gone).

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I wouldn't feel too guilty. You are doing the best you can, and as long as you give them plenty of attention/exercise during the day, they will probably sleep all night. Personally, I would not leave my dogs alone that long in a crate. Either set up a room or a nice big playpen with some potty pads, water, toys, and a cozy bed. Take them for a nice long walk right before you have to work and then give them a Kong toy full of kibble, frozen canned food, Peanut butter, etc. They will be fine :)

Oops, I just reread your post and you said they stay in the kitchen. That sounds like a great arrangement.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
You have nothing to feel guilty about. Working couples/singles usually HAVE to work. Like you said, it makes for higher quality care, vet expenses etc easier. We always worked when we had dogs, and most stayed in the big kitchen until they were past the chewy stage.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm very fortunate that my OH is the "working one" and although I do have a modeling job it is not regular scheduled work like a normal job. But, whenever we go out together we allow the dogs either free run of the house (if we're just going to be in and out) or if it's going to be longer, we put them in their bedroom that is dog-proofed. They've got blankets and toys and water and potty patches. As long as we make it back in time for dinner they don't hold grudges lol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well unfortunately we have to work to survive in this era....id much rather be at home baking bread and cleaning lol!!

I hate it when rescue centres refuse rehoming dogs with people whom work...their reducing that dogs chances of being loved and cared for! - Imagine the amount of dogs that would be without homes or worse euthanised, if only: retired, ill or people whom do not work could own a dog?

I think as long as they have company with another pet they get along with and they dont have SA you cant feel too guilty :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts