Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I make my leaving for a few hours a day while I visit the doctor easier for Cocoa and me? He loves his crate. Should I just keep him in that when I leave? His cry sounds like he is wounded when I leave him. He loves to go with me as he is training for service dog. What should I do?

Thanks,
Jennie and whimpering cocoa

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If that is where he's the most comfy I would let him stay there, in his crate. When Willie was a baby, I left him loose while I went to the store, It was summer and I had all my windows open, I was in a 4th floor apartment at the time. When I got home I got out of my car and heard him screaming so loud I thought for sure he had somehow broken a bone. I ran up the steps 2 at a time, nearly killing myself to get to him, the bugger was fine and all wiggles and wags when I walked thru the door. WHEW!!! I was bawling when I saw him, but it made me realize that he could have seriously hurt himself if he decided to try jumping on the furniture or whatever. My little guys are always crated now when I am not home. Hope this helps
Love Stacy

·
Registered
587 Posts
I leave bella in the kitchen when i am gone and she cries and cries and cries! I just put a baby gate up and put her bed and some toys etc and i'm usually not gone long but when i come home she is fine, usually sleeping. :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I usually take Chico with me wherever I go (he's so spoiled, lol) but if I HAVE to leave him home, like if I go to the grocery store or something, I leave the TV on for him (he loves the Nickelodeon channel) and I make sure the air conditioning is on (if it's hot outside) He's usually okay here when i'm not home, because he's got the 2 kitties here with him. But sometimes after I lock the door he'll start whining and barking, but only for a minute.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Zola is left alone on week days when Im out at work. Mondays, Thurs and Fri's my neighbour comes in to give him lunch and check he is ok. She plays with him or takes him into her house for a bit. Then on Tues and Wed my friend takes care of him.

I leave him in my kitchen with his bed and toys. There is nothing in my kitchen which is a danger to him and its big enough for him to run about in and play with his toys. I have to make sure he eats breakfast befpre I leave or his bowl will still be fuilly at lunch time. When I leave he normally breaks his heart and mine with the crying but he is getting better. He's getting into a routen. He is soo happy when I come home. He cries for about 10 mins and jumps up all over my face and then he's totally fine again. Even when Im here he sleeps most of the day so I guess thats what he does while im gone until someone comes in to fed and play with him,

I feel so bad about leaving him all the time. But i have no choice. I have to work. If only I could take him with me

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I first left Friday alone at home while I went to work, she wailed and wailed. I felt so bad. I asked the vet about it and she said Friday was having Separation Anxiety and not to make a big deal about coming or going. She said before you leave to go somewhere, do not kiss all over her or say things like, "poor baby, mommy doesn't wan't to leave you". She said just go about your business and make coming and going just a normal part of the day. The vet also said when I get home, do not run straight to her, pick her up, and start playing with her. She said the best thing to do is to not really pay attention to her for about 5 minutes (I never last that long). Then you can pick her up, play with her, talk to her, etc.
I realized I was doing all the wrong things.
This was very hard for me at first, but now when I leave, Friday will bark about twice and then go about her business (I wait and listen at the door!). I always leave either the tv or the radion on for her and she has lots of toys. I also leave the blinds up in my bedroon because she loves to people watch.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
A few times, pet your dog and leave for a minute. Come back for a while, leave again with no good bye. Do this for a few days. Soon enough, your chi won't need you all the time.

Don't listen to me. Pepi pees on the floor when i leave the house. So I know nothing.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
cocoasmama said:
How do I make my leaving for a few hours a day while I visit the doctor easier for Cocoa and me? He loves his crate. Should I just keep him in that when I leave? His cry sounds like he is wounded when I leave him. He loves to go with me as he is training for service dog. What should I do?

Thanks,
Jennie and whimpering cocoa
you can leave a shirt with him that has your scent, a radio on etc etc. He will get used to it but it takes time :wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts